Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

She can play bass in my band!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by schmee, Jun 12, 2018.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    It’s funny. We’ve actually said this to several bass players: pretend you are dumber. Pretend you know less about music. Pretend you injured two fingers on each hand and can’t use them ...

Dudes in each case. This is not a gender issue and to portray it that way is absurd. (Not saying you were doing so.)

Manual Slim likes this.

2. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

May 10, 2007
    Laurentians, Quebec
    I was going to pile on all of you snobs for belittling her because she's an attractive lady. But then I listened to it.

I find the arrangement disrespects the gravity of the subject of the original song...you don't take the death of a child and make it all cheery like a Paul Simon African number.

I'm with Jakedog...if this were the audition tape, I'd pass, just based on envisioning future "colourblind" collaborations that miss the point of what made the originals great. "Umm...Smoke on the Water is great...but what if we gave it a Reggae beat and wore matching hats?"

Tal Wilkenfeld is soooo good. To my ears.

3. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    teletimetx, twotone60, brbadg and 3 others like this.

4. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    A pretty blind assumption and demeaning to your fellow members on TDPRI.
    Do you feel like a bigger man now?

maxvintage and MilwMark like this.

5. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    She doesn't look bored enough

nojazzhere and Ash Telecaster like this.

6. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England

7. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    ok that was snide but point being her style of bass playing wouldn't fit a conventional band setting but for what she does do it seems to work. Personally I bet she'd get bored playing basic stuff that works for rock and pop when she's capable of playing something much more complex.

8. Rich724

Rich724 Tele-Meister

Dec 26, 2012
    Linden, MI
    My first thought would be am I guitarist enough to have her in my band. As stated above like a Tal Wilenfeld.

Fiesta Red and nojazzhere like this.

9. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    she can't be in my band cause she'd make me look bad. in more ways than one.

matrix and Fiesta Red like this.

10. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

May 24, 2010
    Scotland
    I know and have played with a few bassists who were way out of my league, technically. Some are better than others, at 'serving the song'- just like the rest of us. ;)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Fiesta Red likes this.

11. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Push the Envelope says I :twisted:

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Pish, he aint pushin the envelope, he followin it!

FenderGyrl likes this.

13. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    :p:D;):lol::twisted:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018

14. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

She might not even know the story or context of the song. I might not have chosen an up tempo version. Her choice.

She might not fit into the world/band of many of us here.

Is she talented and good looking? Of course she is. No denying that.

I see her in a Weather Report/Return to Forever type band. If indeed her chops would so dictate.

We have no idea of the extent or experience of her musical prowess from just one sample.

If schmee wants her in his band. Go for it bud.

maxvintage likes this.

15. soundslikethis

soundslikethis TDPRI Member

Mar 18, 2018
    Toronto Canada
    Three pages of comments and people are still talking about her like an unknown entity. Kinga Glyk (the "l" is actually a Polish letter that looks like an "l" with a line through it and is pronounced like a "w") is hugely famous! She tours internationally and plays at major festivals. She never steps on her guitar player's toes because she doesn't have one! She leads the band but all the musicians are superb - mainly keys and drums (her father is the drummer). She's barely twenty, charming and, as you can tell from that video in the first post, very good. She's recently released a major album. Just search her in YouTube and you could spend an afternoon watching her concert footage. I'm certainly a fan.

16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

No guitar player?! Mebbe someone here could play guitar in her band.

kelnet likes this.

17. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Apparently there are quite a few guys in this thread who are good enough, or perhaps too good.

Wildcard_35, twotone60 and matrix like this.

18. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC

19. soundslikethis

soundslikethis TDPRI Member

Mar 18, 2018
    Toronto Canada
    Not to mention the world class bass-face!

20. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I would guess that he didn't mean YOUR 3 chord cargo shorts bar band specifically. I think he meant just the usual 3 chord cargo shorts bar band. I'm sure The Hoodoo Casters play very complex versions of Dust My Broom or I'm Tore Down. And did I hear a 7th chord on one of your videos?

:D:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.