Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

She can play bass in my band!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by schmee, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    My point was that the video demonstrates none of the required traits to support the comment "She Can Be In My Band". The comment is based solely on her looks, not on her musicianship. As Jakedog stated, if this was a video for an audition, she would not get hired by any reasonable band leader.

Jakedog, koen and Mike Simpson like this.

2. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    No Longer Here
    Snide remark: People who want to be guitar players should buy a guitar and play it.

I'm a bass player and a guitarist. The two are not the same thing at all.

3. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    there's a difference between a bass guitar player and a bass player. Keef said so.

allen082 and koen like this.

4. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    That was fun to watch. I wonder if she is a bass player in a band. It would make for some fun bass line leads and runs as the guitar players took on the base line. Just a thought.

Ash Telecaster likes this.

5. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Meister

Oct 25, 2017
    Indiana
    "Here's my YouTube video of me playing an instrument expertly, in a way that makes the whole song work, and will never be noticed or appreciated by anyone who isn't a musician."

It's like the offensive line in football. People who know the game watch it closely, but it never makes the highlight reel for people who don't.

This kind of show-offy stuff is just right for promoting herself on YouTube. I'm guessing if she was posting on a "Hiring Professional Musicians" web page, she'd post something different.

Which goes to show, she understands her venue and her audience. Not totally useless in a musician.

DougM and nojazzhere like this.

6. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2012
    england
    Talk of ladies playing the bass.. check out Tal Wilkenfeld supremely talented

uriah1, nojazzhere, Rich724 and 4 others like this.

7. Finck

Finck Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    Probably she has stinky feet...

nojazzhere and Ash Telecaster like this.

8. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

That Beck concert is my all time favorite and Tal is just awesome.

The girl "...who can play in..." somebodies band is great. She isnt demonstrating her ability to play in a band. She is doing a solo piece and it is spectacular. She would be more than welcome in any band I have ever been in. I have no doubt she can play bass in a band setting with great competence.

9. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    The video was very nice in and of itself but it gave me the worries as far as a potential band bass player is concerned.

My college band had what the rest of us called a lead bass player. He could play at lightening speed with his fingertips and he played all over the neck and added fancy riffs where solid bottoms were needed. Our bottom sucked. Throwing in some occasional flash is fine but a bass player needs to hit the pocket, work the groove and fill the bottom. I'm getting none of these things from someone playing guitar parts on a bass way up the neck.

Most of us play guitar. Could you pick up a bass right now and play 10 different catchy guitar parts above the 12th fret as a goof? I'll bet you could.

She's no Gail Ann Dorsey. I saw Gail with Bowie twice. Gail is an amazing bass player. Talent galore and she plays the bass with a band. My opinion.

[​IMG]

10. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Tough room...

twotone60, rad1, DougM and 3 others like this.

11. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Point one: she's a very good musician. nice arrangement, good playing.

Point two: I would not hire her in my band as a bass player though, and I'm a bass player.

It's not just the playing up on the dusty frets: that tone is all scooped and bright and it sounds pretty as a lead but it would vanish in a band setting and you'd be wondering where's that bass player you just hired. How do I know this? decades of gigging.

Also though it's totally unfair to judge this woman from one single youtube video--she may have a bunch of other voices and styles. But a guarantee all you guitar players: if you hired someone playing that way to be the bassist in your band you'd be unhappy pretty fast

12. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    What a bunch of immature little boys! You're all feeling threatened 'cause you couldn't begin to play like that, so you have to diss her. Grow up!

13. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    She's amazing, talented, and (if you go for that sort of fetching, incredible girl-musician bird) highly attractive.

;)

DougM and Ash Telecaster like this.

14. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    No Longer Here
    Tracy Wormworth. ‘Nuff said. /thread

nojazzhere likes this.

15. Finck

Finck Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    Yes, but her dress is ugly, and the hat of the first lady would be a nice touch on her head. I shouldn't comment about her feet, but, common, they probably don't smell good too...

At the end, I'll vote for the first lady...

studio1087 likes this.

16. schmee

schmee Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Well, if YOU ASSUME she plays that way on every song in a band context then you are correct. Good players play FOR THE SONG. Why would you assume that though? With her talent, I doubt she's that dumb!

17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

There's the problem -- too smart for a bass player.

Ash Telecaster likes this.

18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    twotone60 and Ash Telecaster like this.

19. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I assumed nothing, in fact. Though I’ll stand by my point that nothing in that video would tell me anything about playing bass in a conventional rock/country/pop context.

If you actually want my hunch, it is that she plays like this instead of like a bass player. Could be totally wrong.

In a rock/pop context, the last thing I want is a lead bass player. I’ve played with several. Briefly. All dudes, FWIW. I barely want a lead guitar player, to be honest.

Too many people playing too much stuff is the bane of bands in the YouTube era, IMO.

8barlouie, maxvintage and studio1087 like this.

20. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 16, 2005
    Texas Gulf Coast
    That's really good playing and she has talent for sure.

While I'm really impressed, she doesn't hold a candle to my playing.

If I put on my Hawaiian shirt, tan cargo shorts, black socks, chukka boots,
    and played my lawyer blues licks, she'd lower her head in shame.

****sarcasm alert***

DougM and schmee like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.