Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Share your Tele Tweaks !!

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Doug 54, Feb 25, 2005.

1. evilBOXevil

evilBOXevil TDPRI Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Norman, OK
    Replace bridgeplate with '52 reissue (don't need compensated saddles...it intonates just fine).
    Replace tone pot with 1meg, tone cap with .068 (rolling it off gives a nice wah effect, and otherwise is like full open).

I've done other tweaks on different guitars I have, but the 2 listed above are what I've done on all 4 guitars.

I do have one guitar with a standard bridge pickup and a P90 in the neck, and along with the 4way switch- that guitar can make any sound I want it to.

2. jimmynumber9

jimmynumber9 Tele-Afflicted

May 26, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    I have a the pup blackout... well at least it was... I changed out all of the pickups for icehouse pups. A blade broadcaster and supercaster. I put in two slide on/off switches for the neck and middle positions and changed the 5 way selector to a on off for the bridge pickup. I put in new 250k pots and a paper in oil tonal resistor. It is the best thing I have heard out of a tele in a long time. (Mostly because no one around the town of Kimball Nebraska owns a tele but me) haha

3. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    Tweak?
    'prolly not... well, maybe!

I love top-load!!
    (Although I have some trad string-thru)
    WIlkinson has their top/string thru bridge, or u can just drill a regular stamped Fender type bridge.

To me.... bending a bit easier-- mids seem richer.
    but who am i??

4. glebe digital

glebe digital Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2009
    orkney
    1. Esquire pickguard, with a 'stealth' neck pickup.
    2. The '1953' wiring from the SD website.
    3. Mini-toggle to engage extra 2k turns of wire on the bridge pup.
    4. 250k CTS pots & big .05 sprague caps.

[​IMG]

Losing the neck pup as a 'sound' on it's own is small beans.......that 'mix' sound you get in the '53 mod is pure ear candy! :D

[​IMG]

5. Doug 54

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio

6. funff

funff Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2008
    UK
    Nice! What does the '53 SD mod give you exactly? Thanks

7. glebe digital

glebe digital Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2009
    orkney

8. funff

funff Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2008
    UK
    Ah I see, it's the same as the wiring (was) in my '51 Nocaster, the dark front position and the blend. Nice sound, odd taste in nail varnish..... :lol:

9. TubbyTone

TubbyTone Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2008
    Ontario,Canada
    I did the 50's wiring mod on my '73 Custom (no plate) used 500K volume pots, 250K tone pots & .022 orange drops (tried .01-.047) I like it with the buckers. still like the treble bleed with .033 & 220K for my singles just my 2 cents

10. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2005
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    I posted on this thread about three years ago but....

I've made some changes since then to my main Tele. I removed the Duncan Quarter Pounder in the bridge position and replaced it with a Duncan "Hot Rails" humbucker. I now have a mini switch between the volume and tone controls on the reversed control plate which operates a coil tap. Also, the volume control is now a pull pot which operates a phase switch. Right now I don't think there's enough money in the world to buy this guitar from me (as if anyone would ever want it!) as it plays like a dream. I use regular Elixer 9 through 42 Nanoweb strings and this guitar covers all the bases. I can get Gibson, Strat, and just about any other electric guitar sound out there on this one guitar........Here's a shot of it and also an action shot made at an outdoor festival I played yesterday.........JH in Va.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009

11. Doug 54

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    Ramseybella

THAT IS WONDERFUL!!!

12. arctu

arctu TDPRI Member

Aug 4, 2009
    greece
    hello there,
    I own a baja and I found both knobs,are not responding straightly when I turn them.There is a dead area in which neither volume,nor tone knob affects the sound and then there is a abrupt change.The area which really affects the sound is limited.Plus that I don't really like the out of tone setting in no of the pickups.Is there any problem or that's the way it is?
    thanks!

13. telbert twang

telbert twang Tele-Holic

Dec 27, 2007
    Estonia
    [​IMG]

hi,

Just two questions about this mod :

Is the tone cap still the regular 0.047 microF ?

Would it work exactly the same way in a tele with 0.047 tone cap but 500k pots , or not ?

Thanks for any comments,
    telbert

PS - please take a look also here

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009

14. 74n4LL0

74n4LL0 TDPRI Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Milan (Italy)
    on mine I did a 5 way switch (adding series and controlled out of phase)
    and push-pull tone pot to remove the tone from the circuit...it's really useful...

15. Swiftpicx

Swiftpicx TDPRI Member

Sep 4, 2009
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the info !! :D

16. Doug 54

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    Fret screening for you new neck seekers and self-bevellers:

If you like to do bends OFF the FB above the 10th fret or so on the A string-
    (a cool musical addition) - make sure the bevel is shallow!
    A good bevel will create a bend in the major 3rd territory on most strings

I incorporate this bend with several variations in conjunction with other strings.
    Nice for Western Swing and Swing!

/

17. Bentcam

Bentcam TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2010
    MI
    Am I the first to mention using nickels under bridge saddles? I'm getting increased sustain and maybe a little deeper tone from my stock '69 thinline ri pickups.
    The first nickel I tried was to get the saddle raised without cranking the screw all the way in. The other two I added to balance the tone.
    Uh, haven't experimented with different nickel composition yet, but it's coming.

18. grifff

grifff Tele-Meister

Dec 13, 2009
    Towson, MD
    That's quite practical, I may have to try it along with the fezz wiring mod.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.