Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Doug 54, Feb 25, 2005.
back 2 U !!!
my newest is in the neck anchors for no thread stripping---
and tonal improvement x's 10 on the Rondo Tone Scale
I'm going to wire my CV Tele with the 50's tone mod. Great thread! Lots of cool ideas to experiment with.
Nice name Jackie Treehorn. One of my favorite movies.
I finally found this post:
teleman4u: this is very informative. I started a thread a few days ago about acheiving the treble bleed mod by moving the tone pot output wire to the center Vol pot lug (here).
Can you elaborate? It doesn't make sense to me how this works? if you bypass the vol pot, doesn't that make the vol pot useless?
I did the 50's wiring mod easy enough and it sounds good. I'll play that Tele a bunch today.
I have a newer Special Edition KOA Telecaster, which suprisingly I happen to be very fond of. My only complaints are the volume drop in the neck pup and the saddles just cant get to where they need to be for proper intonation, soooo I just bought a set of Bill Lawrence Deluxe KT (Keystone) pups and a Glendale "Twang" cutting edge set of compensated saddles.
I will add the Fezz mod to my volume pot as well while Im in there.
I will report back here if anyone is interested in how the mods work out. I gig with this guitar almost every weekend, so the difference should be obvious. Cant wait till this stuff shows up in the mail!!
Thanks to all who have posted on this site. I have managed to fix two of my guitars with info posted here and also got the ideas for how I want to modify my tele.
I use Lindy Fralin pickups!
I jes' ordered 2 of the Callaham Special Wind Fralin bridge pickups with an order for a little this and that. That's how it goes, a few little things, so make the order worth everyone's time - watch out!
Couple Esquires in the work - and they will remain So!
This time for sure!
I put a pick holder on mine. It was a rough job, but I got through it.
Here is a link to my first mod:http://www.flickr.com/photos/8497872@N05/sets/72157613790513038/
The Glendale compensated saddles. Man, what a difference. I have yet to plug in since I did this on Thurs. night with my family asleep.But I can already notice the resonance is enhanced and the guitar filled the room I was playing in with no amp.
Next......Bill Lawrence Keystones coming soon to a tele near me. Just ordered 'em. Becky was real nice on the phone.
ignore this. it was a duplicate. Im still a noob.
Electrosocket was the most simple and cost effective. The second was the copper-tape shielding.
Teflon tubing over strings for behind the nut bends. easier on fingers.
Mhmm well this was my first Tele and I only had it for about two weeks, keep that in mind.
4 way switch
Remains to do:
New bridge or shave down the lip on the existing one
Shorten the low E/A adjustement saddle screw (only one that's protruding)
Have the neck pickup made adjustable through the pickguard
Maybe have the nut raised
There she is now, a highway 1 Tele:
50s wiring mod
I tried the 50's wiring mod as suggested at the beginning of the thread. I initially thought it was a great improvement, opening up the tone nicely on my partscaster tele which has a neck HB and a bridge P90 pickup.
However this was when I played the guitar at home through my POD for practicing, where I tend to set the volume on 10 and leave it.
When I then played the guitar at a band practice I found the volume pot to be greatly altered by the modification. All of the volume increase now happened in the last 20% of the pot, which made it very difficult to accurately adjust the volume without getting huge volume increases or drops. When the pot was in the remaining 80% of its range the pickups lost all vibrancy and treble.
I have now reversed the modification to the original setup and installed a treble bleed (capacitor and resistor) instead. This seems much better. I now get a much more even taper on the volume pot whilst retaining brightness throughout.
Any thoughts on this?
Fantastic idea! I'm going to try this.
Where is teflon tubing sold? Hardware stores?
Probably have better luck at a Hobby/ Model Airplane store.
Thanks, mellecaster. I wouldn't have thought of a hobby shop until after visiting a couple of hardware stores.
I mounted the bridge pup in my Esquire into the body (instead of the plate) using the rubber ubing as spacers. Sounds real sweet.