Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Share your Tele Tweaks !!

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Doug 54, Feb 25, 2005.

1. cactusrob

cactusrob Friend of Leo's

Aug 26, 2009
    Georgia
    Flipped the control plate and added these "lug nut" knobs made for me by a machinist friend.

[​IMG]

2. cactusrob

cactusrob Friend of Leo's

Aug 26, 2009
    Georgia
    pics?

3. Bentcam

Bentcam TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2010
    MI

like this

Attached Files:

4. Hotrod Huron

Hotrod Huron NEW MEMBER!

Nov 5, 2010
    Arvada, CO
    Replaced a SD Quarter Pound neck pup with a SD Phat Cat P90 Bridge on my '73 Tele (it was already routed by previous owner). Initially used the bridge pup because the poles lined up perfectly at the neck position. Plugged it in and wow!--great jazz and Rockabilly tones. I had to put in a Dimarzio Hot Tele T pup in the bridge to keep up. Kept the stock 1meg and etc wiring in the controls. Really versatile: hot P90 tones in the neck position, Classic to hot Tele on the bridge, and hot funk with both selected.

5. teleNtweed

teleNtweed Tele-Holic

Nov 27, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Well this one dawned on me this weekend. While trying to come up with way of getting the low E and A strings to sound less flat and vague, I remembered the Danny Gatton video about winding the strings to the bottom of the tuners which increases the break angle over the nut. If you have not tried this, do. It gives those bass stings some snap, keeps chords tight and improves the sound (to me) of these strings.

It is a pain trying to learn the amount of string it takes to wind to the bottom of the peg. So, I realized that my AS has the sataggered tuners and I switched the high E and B string tuners with the low E and A. The string tree regulates the break angle on the E/B strings and now I get the increased angle on my E and A strings with no fuss and no muss!

Now if I could figure out something slick for the G string! I did just order a Callaham bridge to replace the stupid AS one!

[​IMG]

6. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2012
    Bucharest
    An Affinity Tele came to me by chance. (With an amp I wanted)
    So I changed pups to "Cool Vintage" Lil' Puncher XL set from GFS, put a bone nut, 010. strings, black buttons for pots, which came 500K, by the way, with treble bleed included! Changed the plate for the output jack with metak plate (from northwestguitars.co.uk) they fit perfectly with older holes...
    Then changed the pickguard to Tortoise version.
    And after a fret dressing, now I really like this guitar, how it sounds and feels, in spite of beeing a Strat man.
    Still, thinking of adding a push-pull pot.

Attached Files:

7. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

-Push/Pull post to switch between standard and 50's/fezz wiring.
    -switchcraft jack
    -fat strings
    -cap socket on tone pot to try out different cap values.

8. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    Nashville deluxe push pull allowing bridge neck and then all three pickups. In a few months, wilkinson 3-saddle compensated bridge.

9. Buzzardeater

Buzzardeater Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2012
    Vancouver
    I don't know if this is helpful, but I take the finish off my necks where they touch the body. So, everything that is under the plate is bare wood to bare wood. This comes at the cost of any decals or inspection tags or date stamps but pays off in sustain. I also do this under the bridge plate if it is a thick finish but this is major cosmetic surgery.

As a side note, I have never bought a properly shielded and grounded tele. I saw a man badly hurt by an electrical fault that caused a circuit to ground through his body, so I check every guitar now. I'm still a bit scared of tube amps, lol.

10. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    I've gone to compensating trad Tele saddles with my file and graduated sandpaper.
    $$ saving in this day of austerity!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.