Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Share your Tele Tweaks !!

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Doug 54, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    Could be any.....
    Mine: If the saddles are high for my action (break angle) I will either have my luthier friend route the pocket down or I shim the hdstock end. That's to loosen for bending, and tweak the tone to my liking. (Seymour Duncan--I later found out, will 'route down' the pocket to keep the saddles low for his action so the rear pup is close into the ferrous bridge plate---for that tone mojo).
    --I also drill top-load for strings 1-4 on Tele vintage bridges---again a 'feel'--bending thang.
    --I will wind the D string towards the top of the post (Ahhh...bending!!)
    --of course, pup swaps, etc are parcel at times too!!
    --Stuck w D'Addario for yrs---recently tried others, and found EB to my liking on the wound strings. (9-42, 15 gauge G).

2. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

I do this:
    [​IMG]

And flip the plate:
    [​IMG]

3. charliebrown

charliebrown Tele-Meister

ok Fezz...

You know I'm a Tele rookie here...what gives with the wiring for this west coast dummy?..jumper from the middle lug of the volume pot to the tone pot?...I understand the control plate flip after knocking my switch out of position a couple of times... :?

4. fezz parka

By moving the tone pot wire that goes to the outside lug on the volume pot to the center lug, you don't get the usual treble loss when you roll the volume back. It's along the same lines as the 50's mod for the LP. I prefer it to the cap/resistor treble bleed thang, which to my ears just hypes the highs the more you roll back the volume.

5. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    Is it a bit easier to reach the vol. knob for swells, etc??

-Have thought of trying the flip-flop before---may someday.

6. fezz parka

Oh yeah, volume swells and tone pot wah wah thangs are a lot easier. These two thangs are the best thing I've ever done to a tele. (I do like the bigsby on my Nashville though...)

7. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 13, 2004
    Garden City, KS
    Mine's pretty cheap and simple. I always swap the Tele switch tip for a Strat tip. It stays on better IMO.

8. charliebrown

charliebrown Tele-Meister

I thought that might be it...I'll have to give that a try. My wife went out to daughter's place tonight so I headed to a couple of music stores with Tele in hand to do some more comparisons to other Teles and try a few amps...I have to say that the '59 Bassman 4x10 tweed combo sounded very nice. I played mine and a Nashville Tele through it. This guy with a 62 Reissue Strat plugged in after me and we were both amazed...nice amp...for $1100 it should be. :rolleyes:

9. MarkM

MarkM TDPRI Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Connecticut
    Center Lug Mod

I must say fellas that I eliminate the Bypass Caps and run the tone control into the center lug of the volume as described earlier in this thread and I find it to provide Outstanding tone and the brightness sounds much more natural, vibrant and full.
    A bypass cap on the volume control sounds too brittle and "fake" to me.
    I guess fender must have been "cap-happy" from the mid-60's on judging from what they did to both amps and guitars.
    Capacitors seem to be used as a "cure-all" by Fender at times.

10. Vince a

Vince a Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2004
    Modesto, CA
    So, looking at your diagram, the pot on the left is the tone control and on the the right the volume??? That is how I read the above. I want to do this, but . . . the only one of the two pots with a connection is the one on the right, you say that is the volume.

11. fezz parka

Yep. Stock, the lead from the volume pot to the tone pot is on the outside lug of the volume pot. Move this wire to the center lug on the volume pot. That's all there is to it.

12. Harrison

Harrison Tele-Meister

Feb 28, 2005
    Indiana
    My tone knop does absolutely nothing, it doesn't change the tone in the least. At this point it's just there for something to do when I get bored. Of course it could be because my 'tele' is from a cheap kit.

13. Freddy Fender

Freddy Fender Tele-Meister

Oct 6, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Ben Dover

I bend my switch over ala Danny Gatton. Much easier to
    knock it from the bridge position when in a hurry.

14. Aen

Aen Tele-Holic

Nov 7, 2004
    Eau Claire, WI
    I popped in a 4-way switch yesterday, verrry nice! Also a little mod that's freeeee and easy, if your pickguard has like, 9 screws or whatever, take one out and you can slide your pick in there for storage, very handy!

I put a Bullet neck on my partscaster, and the neck PU is out of phase with the bridge, does that count?

15. TeleTubby

TeleTubby Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lynden, WA
    Please don't do this on older, vintage Teles, but I always sand the flat of the neck butt, the neckpocket, and the bottom of the bridge to amplify the mechanical connections of these parts- laugh all you will, but I can hear a rather substantial acoustic improvement if they didn't fit well together before the work. I'm also starting to use larger diameter (and slightly longer) bridge screws to really snug it down onto the body.

16. Aen

Aen Tele-Holic

Nov 7, 2004
    Eau Claire, WI
    Meh, "I like mys trings LOOSE!"

(I think that's from "Our Band OCuld be your life" when the minutemen were learning to play, D boon and the ohter guy didn't know what tuning was, and thought it was a matter of preference.)

17. Vince a

Vince a Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2004
    Modesto, CA
    I got it! Thank you very, very much!

18. SinnerBoy61

SinnerBoy61 Tele-Holic

Feb 24, 2005
    WV
    maybe a dumb question...

but isn't there a white jack wire somewhere that goes where you move the one wire?

19. Freddy Fender

Freddy Fender Tele-Meister

Oct 6, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Love that sig!!!! :lol:

20. fezz parka

Yes there is.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.