Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

SG Club!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by iansmitchell, Jun 11, 2009.

1. BadTranslate

BadTranslate Tele-Meister

Aug 13, 2006
    pdx
    I put my SG Standard on Craigslist because I don't play it that often. I haven't sold / traded guitars in the past year and totally forgot how many idiots you have to deal with emailing and asing if you'll trade for their $400 or $500 Mexican, Chinese, etc off-brand guitars that no one's ever heard of. I don't know if these people realize how hard it is to get a nice guitar like an SG Standard. It took me like 3 years to get mine and it's also worth a few hundred more on the used market than anything these people want to trade me. I hate CL idiots! Ugh!! :mad: Whenever I've tried to trade someone guitars in the past I'd only ever offer to trade them a guitar of similar value and if their guitar was Made In USA I'd only ever offer to trade them a USA made guitar. Who trades a Gibson that's $1400 new for a Mexican acoustic that $500 new? :rolleyes:

LocoTex and neilybob100 like this.

2. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque

3. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    my main axe

Attached Files:

GuitarsAndCars and AngelDeville like this.

4. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midlands
    Hello to all ...
    After a wait of several weeks ... see this thread for the back-story ... finally got my 2018 SG Standard T yesterday.
    Spent this afternoon setting it up and am now road-testing.

So far, quite a fun guitar, certainly lighter weight than the Fenders I've got.

Loving the '61 pickups, was a bit concerned about them cf to the '57s on the 2015 model ... but they're just the thing for Blues/60s R'n'B etc.

The slightly shorter scale is very kind to fingers that aren't as nimble as they once were.
    Can't make up my mind about the strings it came with ... website says 9,11,16, 26,36 , 46 = some sort of hybrid? Manual in the case says 10s! Feel weird after 10s on Strat/Teles.
    I will give it time, but think it'll be only a couple of days (certainly before band practice on Tuesday) before swapping them to a set of Regular Slinkys - which I'm used to.

Here's the obligatory pic ...
    SG b.jpg

5. greebo830

greebo830 TDPRI Member

Feb 23, 2009
    stockport
    Wasn't sure if I'd shown this off, so here you go.
    my 2012 SG 50's Tribute.
    [​IMG]

However here my latest squeeze
    Okay so compared to previous years I thought I was keeping the GAS under control until I came across this. I love a SG with P90's and had been after one of these when they were first on the scene but never got round to getting one. fast forward to today and I went into town with the missus, as we walked in we went past a friends shop I popped in to check he'd got the hiscox molded case I dropped off for him a few weeks ago while was on holiday (he bought the guitar last year but I thought I'd lost the case - turned to be in the loft). while we're chatting he say's he's got something for me cause he feels he under paid me the for the Yammy, He goes in the back and comes out with this VS-6 MRMA, I instantly fell in love and the missus could tell it would be coming home with me. I asked him what he was asking for it when he dropped the bombshell. FREE, he was gonna offer it me for £50 but since I'd taken the case in for him he just said I could have it. We were out the door before the dust settled.
    [​IMG]
    Upon getting her home I start with the usual inspection, The guitar itself is in almost perfect condition and sounds fantastic, the only minor faults are the bridge, as the previous owner had tried to slot the bridge and the radius is off making the high e is a little too deep also the D & G tuners are a bit sloppy.

Swaps to do =
    Custom TRC
    Upgrade wiring and pots (I do this to virtually all my guitars)
    K40n-2a Paper in oil capacitors
    Nickel Wraparound Tailpiece (I want it to age naturaly)
    Nickel Machineheads with vintage style cream buttons (same as above)

I may change the pickups as they are a little confusing, they should be wilkinson stacked ceramic P90's however they sound smoother than ceramic and the readings are closer to the wilkinson Alnico V p90's(no way to tell as no markings on on bak and previous owner had coloured in the wilkinson logo), either way they sound fantasic - very similar to the one in my 2012 Gibbo 50's tribute SG

ickylick, bender66 and LocoTex like this.

6. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's

I'm pretty sure I'll take the prize for 'rattiest SG on this thread.'

[​IMG]

It's a '66 SG Junior that unfortunately got caught in a house fire. It didn't burst into flames or anything, but it was close enough to the flames to bubble up the nitro and melt some plastic - the P-90 cover melted and had to be replaced and the knobs melted some. But the electronics came out unscathed, and it's the gnarliest-sounding P-90 guitar I own.

[​IMG]

I briefly considered handing it over to a friend who does brilliant nitro work for a refin, but then thought better of it. I did sand the neck to get rid of most of the bumps, but otherwise I left it as I got it.

[​IMG]

It never fails to turn heads when I take it out. Besides being an excellent hunk of old wood, it roars like a lion. And I don't have to worry about getting the odd ding or scratch on it. That's been well taken care of.

It still smells like a doused campfire every time I open the case, though. I can live with that.

I got it in an even trade for a 2001 American Standard Strat that I never quite made friends with. After hearing the SG through my amps, I'd do that trade again any day of the week.

- D

Flaneur, Bruxist, joe_cpwe and 5 others like this.

7. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    Here's mine. I thought I posted this, but I searched for myself on this thread and I must not have. Mine started its life as a 2006 SG Robot. The robot tuners were removed and replaced by standard 500K pots before I got it. I play clean traditional country mostly with the volume controls rolled down and mostly with the pickups blended. This is great for finger style. I use my Tele where I need a bright bridge pickup sound. I used to like the thick neck but now not so much. I play to accompany myself on vocals. That means I need to keep a bass line going with chords and solos over it. I sometimes play barre chords but do a lot of thumb over so I can have some drone from open strings and the thick wide neck makes T on the A string more difficult for me, especially on days when my arthritis is bothering me. My fingers don't bend like they used to. Still, this beauty's a keeper. I love the gloss cherry finish. I'll take dots over blocks any day. I wanted one when I was in high school but it was way beyond my reach. She's the best of all I have with a capo on the second or fifth fret.

upload_2018-5-15_10-52-19.png

8. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.
    CWP0126 likes this.

9. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    I've been on the lookout for one of those. GC Used had one on their site but I was waiting for the price drop. Someone snatched it up. I did end up with one of the unfinished dual humbucker husks though.

10. greebo830

greebo830 TDPRI Member

Feb 23, 2009
    stockport

That sir is a fantastic guitar, one that has lived a real life and has a great story to tell.

StrangerNY likes this.

11. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's

Thanks. I've wanted an SG Junior for a long time, but when the money was there the guitar wasn't and vice versa. When this one came along I was lucky to have a Strat that I wasn't crazy about, because the guy said specifically that he wanted to trade for a Strat.

Every once in a while, you just get lucky.

- D

12. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Beaut. That looks like the one I have on my Duesenberg Starplayer TV. Really like mine.

13. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2012
    belgium
    How do you like that 50's tribute? Does it have the min-e-tune system?

14. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

Aug 30, 2008
    MI
    2014 GC Standard '61

[​IMG]

cooltouch and brookdalebill like this.

15. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    Here is mine, a 2001 Gordon Smith SG2. Pickups were changed by a previous owner from Gordon Smith's own handwound buckers to Seymour Duncans, but in doing so they lost the coil taps;

upload_2018-6-15_0-29-59.jpeg

Just to prove it is a real SG, here you can see the headstock break;

upload_2018-6-15_0-33-33.jpeg
    upload_2018-6-15_0-34-37.jpeg

16. BadBen

BadBen TDPRI Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Gorham, ME
    Second SG added to the fleet! In addition to my Epi Tony Iommi model many posts above, I grabbed this Epiphone "1961 Special" last week. The pickups were changed to GFS Vintage P90s and they rip just like P90s should. IMG_20180626_175945.jpeg

cooltouch and ddhr like this.

17. Marcelo R

Marcelo R Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2014
    Uruguay
    Allow me introduce to you my new SG made in Uruguay by my favorite luthiers Cedrés & Vargas. Mahogany body (and neck, I guess) Wilkinson wrap-around bridge tailpiece, and the amazing P-Rails by Seymour Duncan, which provide an astonishing array of sounds. I tried it with mi AC15 Vox and I was pleasantly surprised: this guitar just has "the" tone.

IMG-20180531-WA0020.jpg

Flaneur and Mincer like this.

18. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2011
    Medina, Ohio
    How low can you go? Bought a Maestro off of Facebook Marketplace for $40. Sanded down the fret ends, added new tuners, bridge, GFS Crunchy PAT and a coil split. I have about $100 in total. Fun little SG.

Attached Files:

richey88 and bender66 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.