Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

SF Champ day and an old Thomas Organ Crybaby too

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Ringo, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    Picked up a SF Champ today, I am thinking it's mid 70s as it has the glued in baffle w separate grill cloth frame.
    It was pretty dirty and has a lot of wear and tear.
    But I cleaned it up some and it's better.

I plugged it up and it works and sounds good but the speaker is bad, not real loud and it is buzzing some.
    It has what looks like a factory alnico speaker.

So I'll pull the chassis, clean it up and clean up the cabinet some more, and find a speaker.
    It's been a while but the last Champ I bought didn't have a speaker, I put one of the Jensen MOD 8" 4 ohm speakers in that one and it had a good sound.

So maybe one of those, or something else.

And yesterday I got an old Thomas Organ Crybaby, made in Chicago, has the stack of dimes inductor.
    It works and sounds very good, I will eventually do the DPDT switch for true bypass, I figured the pot would be bad but it seems fine, so I will use the factory pot until it dies.
    And it came with a Crybaby manual! I've never seen one before, pretty cool.

Champ before and after cleaning

20170812_165735.jpg

20170812_200225.jpg

20170812_000048.jpg

20170812_000255.jpg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017

2. Ringo

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    Crybaby manual 20170811_232707.jpg 20170811_232721.jpg

CoyotesGator and TMoxness like this.

3. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Nice, congrats! I picked up a 77 Vibro Champ earlier this year and stuck a WGS G8C in it. Great speaker - meant for this amp.

4. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Tele-Holic

Sep 30, 2011
    Dutchess County NY
    Congrats. I have a mid '70s Thomas Organ CryBaby too. I got it new when I was just a 14 year old kid. MAN was that a long time ago....LOL.
    It's a great sounding wah.

5. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Weber Sig alnico ribbed. Awesome match in my SFVC. Never should have sold that amp...

6. Ringo

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I cleaned up the Champ yesterday, from the pot dates it a 1975 model.
    I had ordered a replacement speaker and it came in Friday, Line 6 labeled ceramic 15 watt 4 ohm ribbed cone.
    I repaired a lot of tears in the tolex, also the corners actually had some wood that was damaged too.
    I'm not trying to make it "new" but it does look a lot better now IMO.
    I got it put it back together and played through it a bit.
    It sounds good but was making some noise at idle (with the volume all the way up) microphonic tubes? they look to be original. I changed the 12AX7 and 6V6 tubes, didn't have a spare 5Y3.
    It sounds pretty good now.
    Not sure I will keep this, if I do I'll get my amp guy to check it and maybe replace the can cap.

I can say that I'm impressed that even on the cheapest amp Fender made, the chassis is heavy duty, and that it works after years of abuse and neglect is a testament to a good design and build, even in the according to some, dreaded CBS era.

I don't foresee modern PCB amps that suffer the same abuse still working 42 years down the road.

before

20170812_165735.jpg

after

20170820_144949-1.jpg

20170820_145008.jpg

7. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2008
    california
    within the last year i've picked up a 76 sf champ and a 75 sf vibro champ. i run an aby pedal into them and match the volume. great combo. oh, and i run a thomas organ, supulveda thru mine. great wah too.

play music!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.