Seymour Duncan STR-1 + Texas Special Instalation, doing it ok ?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by RoCkstAr256, Feb 11, 2019.

1. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

My new neck pickup is going to arrive tommorow, i am wondering if i got the instalation diagram right. Only thing is that i need to switch wires at neck pickup and ground it near bridge right ? Like this

upload_2019-2-11_18-18-46.png

2. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Almost.
    The wires need swapping on the switch and volume pot not the pickup.
    There's also a link to the pickup cover from the ground (black) wire which will need snipping and replacing with a separate wire going from the cover to the back of the volume pot.

Tele_neck_pup_ground_sm.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  3. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

You’ll likely have to reverse polarity on one of the pickups. SD installation instructions will explain.

I decided to sell my Fender pup and just put in a set of STR/STL instead

They are amazing and much easier install.

RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Rockstar256, if you want to flip the wires on that STR1 to work with the Fender bridge pickup, you will have to separate the connection between the pickup cover and the black lead and run a ground wire from the cover to ground.
    If the Texas special does not have a metal backplate and I don’t think that it does, it would be easier to flip those two leads.

RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  5. RoCkstAr256

I think there 3 rd wire in the pickup box. So cut this small wire near black wire and add third cable from this place and solder it to the tone knob ?

6. Wally

Again....it is simpler to flip the wires on that bridge pickup since neither lead there has a connection to a platej..which makes contact with ground. This would also maintain the originality of that neck pickup...and avoid the possibility of messing it up.

7. RoCkstAr256

I dont have third wire to do it. Can i do it other way ? Look at photos, Cut part of existing Black or white ?

Attached Files:

8. Wally

Rock, why are you insistent upon messing around with that neck pickup. Wire it in as normal. Then, switch the two wires coming from the bridge pickup.....move the 9ne that is going to ground to the switch and move the one thtbis on the switch to the ground. Done.
    The only hangup when moving the bridge p-up wires this way is IF the bridge pickup has a metal plate and one of thenpickup leads is connected to that plate since that plate makes ground through the screws. I don’t think your bridge pickup has a plate, does it??? This is easy to check without lifting the bridge. Simplynlift the wire from the bridge pickup that is going to ground...separate it from the ground connection on that volume pot....and put an ohmmeter between that wire’s end and the metal of the bridge. If there is no continuity, then flip these bridge wires....job is done. If there is continuity between that wire and the bridge, then continue trying to understand how to work with that neck pickup. You are going to need a piece of hookup wire to do that Neck pickup modification. And.....since it is obvious that you are 8nexperienced in this, flipping the bridge wires is simpler and less dangerous for the pickups. I have seen people ruin pickups messing around with them when they did not fully understand what goes on with the pickup wiring.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  9. RoCkstAr256

Damn i have already cut Jumper Wire :/

10. RoCkstAr256

Damn i have already cut Jumper Wire :/

11. RoCkstAr256

Ok lol it works :D

12. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

For future reference
    The Texas Special bridge is fitted with a plate
    Tele_Texas_Spl_Br_sm.jpg
    STR-1 when used with a Fender bridge pickup or 4-way switching.
    Seymour_Duncan_STR-1sm.jpg
    Cut the bare wire link and solder a new length of wire to one of the cover tabs. It's the yellow wire on this example.
    Tele_Twisted_Tele_neck_mod.jpg
    Solder the new wire to the back of the volume pot.

RoCkstAr256 and Wally like this.
  13. Wally

My bad on that bridge pickup/plate thing.....
    Congrats on getting it done, Rock.

RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  14. RoCkstAr256

I didnt solder third wire from it, and it works normally. is it ok ?

15. Wally

The grounding of a wire from the cover of that neck pickup is to establish some noise cancellation. That cover is a shield when connected to ground. It is not necessary...but why not do it since the cover is there. Some people remove the cover. I like to shield the cavities as well...and take them to ground.

RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  16. RoCkstAr256

No buzz so far, regular little humm, it works fine. I might post video of it soon, today maybe :)

Wally likes this.
  17. RoCkstAr256

It somehow works without grounding. Only Bridge is grounded

18. Wally

As noted, grounding of that shield cover is not necessary for the pickup to work. When the cover was connected to the winding end lead that was going to ground, the cover was a shield. Without that ground, the cover is no longer as effective as a shield due to it not being connected to the circuit ground. The reason it was necessary to break that connection to the pickup windings end is so that you could flip the two ending leads so as to better relate to that Fender pickup in the bridge.
    As I also noted, many people remove the cover and deal with whatever noise issues that could arise from that shield being removed. If a guitar is not fully shielded in other respects, then the lack of a shield/cover might not be noticed.
    The noise of concern is not that natural single hum.....that remains as long as on is playing single coils.

RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  19. RoCkstAr256

Now i get your point, well honestly it was my second pickup change. It is easy however when we mix different pickups it gets weird. I wont take a shield since i like that metal cover on the top of pickup.

Yet, i havent had any wire to connect the grounding . Store service have told me thta it not necessary too. I can cut one of the wires from texas special nekc pickup and solder it to conver if necrssary

About the noise, its the natural one no buzzing. When i play it ,hum stops :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  20. RoCkstAr256

As far as diagram says there nothing about grounding neck, jest bridge plate.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.