Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Seymour Duncan - Seth Lover vs '59 neck humbuckers

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Lefty Addams, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Friend of Leo's

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Not familiar with the Seth Lover, but my stock 490R crapped out on my SG recently and I put in a SD '59. I can't praise it enough - it's easily the best neck humbucker I've ever had. Warm and articulate, beautiful woman tone for leads. Just about creamed my jeans when I plugged in the first time.

Lefty Addams likes this.

2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa

3. Howie22

Howie22 TDPRI Member

Oct 1, 2015
    N Carolina
    Any experience with the Alnico II Pro in the neck of a Tele? I'm considering which humbucker to add to the neck position of an Alder Mexi Tele.

I was considering the Pearly Gates or '59. When I emailed SD they suggested the Alnico II Pro as well. Gotta say I like what I hear with the sound clips.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I have a Gibson with a '59 and a Pearly at the bridge...gotta say, it's a really nice combination.

6. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I have a tribute Bluesboy. Didn't like the G&L neck humbucker (not the Seth) and didn't live the MFD bridge. Mine was too bright, too noisy, and I did all the knob fiddling/height adjusting. G&L actually wires the phase backwards on Bluesboy puckups (research G&LDP for info) fyi. I bought a Cavalier Fat Lion bridge and a SD Jazz, and over a year later, could not be happier. Perfect match.

7. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    I've been playing with neck pups in my Tele. I've tried the 59 and Seth in the same guitar. I'm using a Cavalier Huge Lion in the bridge, and 500k pots with a 47 cap. The 59 has more boom and power, almost clashes with the bridge. The Seth is smooth and blends really well. The Seth would be my choice of those two, although I'm still gonna try an old P90 as well.....

Lefty Addams likes this.

8. Erik Samson

Erik Samson TDPRI Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Singapore
    I realise this reply to your comment is a couple months late, but I recently had an Alnico II Pro installed in my MIM Tele's neck. It sounds great, and depending on my amp's settings, I can get a tone pretty similar to Slash (no surprise, seeing as Slash used the original A2Ps before Duncan made his signature set for him).

Not sure how true this is, but from what I've read over the Internet, the A2P is "designed for brighter-toned instruments" (my Tele is alder/maple). I had a '59 in the neck for a few months and while it sounded pretty good, it somewhat lacked mids and had a mostly scooped sound, with the bass being slightly boomy. Reverting to the thicker-voiced A2P made a huge improvement in tone (subjective, of course; both pickups have great tone, I simply prefer the A2P). It's a real nice tone, fat and warm, and a good complement to my stock bridge pickup.

If you're looking for a neck pickup that can make your Tele sound somewhat like a 'bright' Les Paul, the A2P would be good for you.

9. Howie22

Howie22 TDPRI Member

Oct 1, 2015
    N Carolina
    Still a timely post

I put in a Fralin "Big Single." While I like the pickup very much, it's not really what I wanted. It's likely going in something else

I just picked up a "Pearly Gates for Tele" bridge pickup that will go in this guitar.

Still need a neck pickup

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.