Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

set up question

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TXNJ, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    I would take the guitar back to him, and politely show him it isn't working for you. It could be a simple matter of lifting the action slightly.

nojazzhere and telemnemonics like this.

2. TXNJ

TXNJ TDPRI Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Dallas
    I think you are taking my generalization too literally. I was implying that I hadn't requested a neck reset, head stock fix AND a set up, or anything like that. I was just saying that in the world of luthiers/guitar techs, I would suspect learning and performing set ups is not what they would consider their most complicated work. Generally the price of the service (being cheaper than almost anything else is a good indicator of such. I have watched MANY youtube videos and read a lot on this forum about how to do a set up. I tried several of the techniques, some with more success than others, and ultimately decided that while the guitar played ok, a professional would be able to get it to that next level.

3. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    And I make more noise than necessary its true. I just hate to see people misled but apparently you have it well in hand.

4. TXNJ

TXNJ TDPRI Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Dallas
    I definitely wish I had the playing experience and general chops to have it well in hand. I think that's the issue is that my baseline is zero. I know how it played before I had the set up done. Some string buzzing and high action, despite my tinkering. After the set up I still have some string buzzing (more than before) but lower action and feels more playable. I can hear some of the buzzing through the amp, as I could before, but I just don't know if this will work out as the new strings set in. I think I will just have to give it some time and see how it goes.

I did play the guitar at the shop when I picked it up. It was a short test run, and when it buzzed I asked about whether that was normal with the lower action and whether it would be a problem through the amp. I was in a rush, as was he, and I took him at his word when he said there shouldn't be any problems. And perhaps there won't be ultimately. My post was just to get an idea if other people have experienced anything similar after taking a guitar in for its first set up.

As I'm sure you know, you can watch youtube videos all day long, but nothing takes the place of experience. Something I'm sorely lacking.

5. highwaycat

highwaycat TDPRI Member

Jun 15, 2017
    California
    Before I do a setup I notice problems, then I do a setup,and although the guitar can settle more, and rechecking and fine tuning is always a good idea, it will always be better than before the setup, even if the guitar settles a bit, which it will.

I achieved setups that last longer, my setups are getting better and they tend to last longer, something cool I noticed.

So I'd say go through a phase where you do a lot of setups and practicing, and eventually your setups will get super good, plus you get all the benefits of doing it exactly the way you like.
    And you learn things like getting the strings easier to bend and stuff.

In this case, a fret level would be best, it will compliment any good setup and make it achievable. It'll take away the fret buzz mostly.

You can also get the hang of measuring your action and setup, so you can take notes one what you like or go back to a previous setup. And measure pickup height before and after.

6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Playing acoustically you're plucking harder than you would plugged in.

Did your tech ask to see you play? Ask how you like your action?

Everyone wants action as low as possible, no buzzing, but it's all relative to how hard you hit the strings.

Milspec likes this.

7. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Maybe I just have a good tech (he is actually) but he always plugs in the guitar and plays it for a few minutes and then hands it to me to play before it ever leaves the shop. Not being a 30 year session player, my playing isn't always crisp and sometimes I find a buzz that was not present when he played.

I still recall taking a used acoustic to him when I first started due to a bad rattle near the bridge on the "A" string. I suspected that it had a crack or something below the bridge. When I picked it up, I didn't have time to play it until that night and the rattle was still there....I was a little disappointed and just came to accept it as the guitar wasn't worth spending more money on.

Surprise, after about a month, the rattle went away. I don't think a guitar is going to fix itself so it must have been my fingers fault. The rattle never came back. That might be going on in this case.

I would still take it back to the tech and point out your concerns....demonstrate it right in front of him so that he can see the problem and get you fixed up. The Baja is a great guitar and you shouldn't have to deal with a buzz problem. What I wouldn't do is start making changes unless you have some experience at it. Some of the absolute worst set-ups I have ever seen start out that way and only get worse.

moosie likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.