Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Set Aside Original Speakers .... Or Not?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by mjrpieces, Aug 24, 2017.

1. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    Actually, it did after a few hours of break in. The hard part for a P12R is finding someone who will recone it with the correct weight paper (Jensen called them 15 watt speakers but that was probably a stretch). Weber uses P12Q weight paper anymore, for example. Those old R series speakers sound great but that thin cone is fairly fragile, so...

Dean Zink did it for me using the correct materials and it sounds dead on. If you need a P_R reconed, confirm the materials that will be used. If it's a Q or higher wattage speaker, it's easier to get an accurate recone done than an R.

2. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    My vote is keep it in there and play it.

I have a '47 Epiphone with the original speaker and it gets played that way weekly. I see it more like replacing the motor in your car, once you do, the transmission will start slipping because those items wore together and now it has to handle a fresh engine.

IF you already like the tone of that amp where the speaker and parts have worn together, leave it alone. Sure, you might end up liking a different speaker, but I am into wondering "what ifs" if I already like what I have. Chasing tone is expensive and time consuming....play it and be happy.

3. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2014
    Watford, UK
    I'm with adjason on this. Why did you shell out for a vintage amp if you're not going to use it?

Plug it in and turn it up.

4. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Thanks, that's kind of what I figured. I have some vintage alNiCo drivers (Mojotone labeled, Emi made, with paper formers) and was curious, never having had a recone done before.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017

5. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Meister

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    I'd argue that the most important driver would be your intentions for the amp. In my case, I inherited a vintage SFVR that had been gigged hard for many years by my grandfather. I'd never part with it because the sentimental connection is far more valuable to me than anything I could get for it on Reverb.com. So, I play it like it is and fix whatever fails along the way.

6. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    On any amp... if I like the speaker I leave it in. If I don't like the speaker - or if it is failing in any way I would change it.... saving originals in a box.

That would be a shame. They are meant to be enjoyed, not looked at!
    Transport them with care, but crank them up and play them.... service as needed.

Those are rules I apply to any amp, not just vintage amps.

All the above is "IMO" as always.

JustABluesGuy and BobbyZ like this.

7. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I would play them and use them for recording, but depending on the amp probably not gig it.

If I was a bit richer maybe. I'm not gigging much and don't even have a vintage amp so who knows!

8. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    I kept the Rocket 50 from my Blackstar a couple weeks ago but only because I didn't feel like walking to the dumpster

9. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    No worries about a new speaker dragging an old amp into an early grave. Just match the impedance and use one that'll handle the wattage. Heck put a 150 watt Swamp Thang in if you want. It ain't like the amp is going to try and put out 150 watts and blow itself up.
    Of course a '47 probably has a field coil speaker anyway.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

10. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I've always looked at it as the reason you're buying the amp (guitar or pedal, etc.) is because you want the sound of that amp. Taking the speaker out is sort of like taking the engine out of the car and replacing it with a new one until you sell it. Or covering your furniture in plastic so won't get ruined. The transformers, resistors, caps, AND speakers are part of the equation and make the amp sound like it does. So personally, I leave them in.

Unless they sound like garbage. Then I replace them!

I have a '65 Princeton Reverb that MuchXS did some beautiful work on and in the process built it around an Eminence Copperhead and it sounds much better than the replacement Jensen that was in it.

Then again, I also have an original Silvertone Twin Twelve, '63 Vox AC30 and Gibson GA-18 that all have their original speakers and I wouldn't dream of changing them. They're just "right" for what they are. The amps were voiced for those speakers and they always deliver. If I blow one of the speaker by using it, oh well...that's the way it goes. It could happen but never has.

Just my $.02 though, everyone is different.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

11. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    I understand that a new speaker will not push an amp into an early grave, but replacing that speaker does move things around and disturbs things which invites issue with the speaker baffle, wiring, etc. Not to mention the stories of how someone removed the vintage speaker only to end up damaging it either while removing it or later in storage.

And to be honest, yes my Epi still has the Field Coil so it isn't like I can just swap a speaker anyway. Still, I think leaving a vintage speaker in place and enjoying it is probably the best place for it when used in a home studio.

12. Scaper2014

Scaper2014 Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2014
    Stoke-On-Trent
    Amps were made to be played. It won't give you enjoyment sitting in a cupboard. Enjoy the original, amps will always make/lose money. we should all just enjoy what we have and use it. in my opinion its more important to service and look after the item :)

Milspec likes this.

13. Fourstringclover

Fourstringclover TDPRI Member

Nov 22, 2016
    St. Louis
    My first tube amp (webcor homebrew) came with an original p12q jensen and ive yet to hear a better speaker. Played it in band settings, took it to open mics. Man that thing rocked hard. Once this drummer was doggin on it for looks, but by the end of the jam sesh he was telling me how great it actually sounded. Granted you could not hit a low E with distortion at all, so 50 y.o. spks do have limitations, but all other registers were like green butter.
    So while i loved the tone an pushed it hard many times, it never failed me....that is, until my gf at the time littarally took an axe to it one night while i waz at out jamin. She had a good run tho, the jensen i mean.
    In sumation...lifes too short not to cruise your collectors '57 Chevy because it may be stolen one day, or worse...axe murdered!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.