Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Series Wiring

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by ratrob, Jun 13, 2017.

1. ratrob

ratrob NEW MEMBER!

Jun 13, 2017
    Tucson Az
    Hello all,

I am getting ready to mod my MIM tele with 4 way switch and Texas Specials! I'm trying to understand series wiring.

I tried to diagram this out to understand the signal path. This is my own diagram and I'm not sure if it's right! The red is the path from the switch itself while the green is the signal from the pickups. It looks like the output for the bridge pickup goes into the ground for the neck pickup which is what eventually goes out to the amp. Is this right? Can someone help explain this to me?

Any help would be appreciated.

upload_2017-6-13_20-18-5.png

Attached Files:

2. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

The schematic I used with a standard 4 way switch seemed more simple than yours. Possibly the same results?

If I were to do another series mod, I would do the "Deaf Eddie" mod. A standard 3 way(CRL, not a fan of the OG 4way) and a push/pull. You can get the series position no matter where the 3 way is positioned with the p/p activated.

No matter which you do. If you have a metal cover on the neck pickup. The cover will have to have a separate ground.

3. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Check out the diagram at Phostenix's site. That's the one I use. It will result in series-neck-parallel-bridge in the back. I recently swapped neck for bridge and rotated the switch 180 degrees so I have neck-parallel-bridge-series in the back. There's another version you can find with a search that has the single pickups at the ends and parallel/series in the middle two positions.

4. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA

That is exactly right. Your diagram is great for tracing the signal path in the series position.

Series wiring is the same as series wiring for light bulbs, or batteries. The "+" of the first pickup goes into the "-" of the second.

Because you run the bridge pickup output into the "-" lead of the neck pickup, for series wiring, you have to run a dedicated ground wire for the metal neck pickup cover:
    [​IMG]

5. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Dec 19, 2011
    Merseyside UK
    Your diagram looks correct, the signal path is as you say.
    There are other ways of wiring a 4 way, I found this useful, especially the neck in pos 4 option.

4_way_options.jpg

sothoth, Andy B, JCL50 and 2 others like this.

6. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Order in series p-ups is important to how it sounds. Especially w 2 different like on a tele. I m using a 5 way so I can get both. G-N-B-+ will have better bass, G-B-N-+ nice mids , in general w normal Teles p-ups. If one series is enough in theory, Id suggest trying both to see which you prefer.

7. ratrob

ratrob NEW MEMBER!

Jun 13, 2017
    Tucson Az
    Thanks all,

I know I could have just followed the directions but I like to try to understand why I'm doing something. I am putting Texas Specials in my Tele and the neck pickup has a dedicated ground for the cover (yellow wire) so I think I'm good with the ground but thanks to all for pointing that out!

It's time to start cursing! Jkjk

8. Sunshine Knight

Sunshine Knight NEW MEMBER!

Oct 3, 2017
    Brooklyn ny
    Hi, I've been looking for a tele schematic on a 3 way switch wired in series only with no parallel option. I've looked all over the internet without luck. Can anyone help? Thanks Steve

9. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France

10. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks to Deaf Eddie:

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.