Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Series Wiring With 3-Way

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by TN-Hambone, Sep 20, 2009.

1. PJb4

PJb4 TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Italy
    I just want to try if i like the sound before I spend any money

2. PJb4

PJb4 TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Italy
    @Asmith sorry to bother you, but i tried anything.

3. Asmith

Asmith Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Not sure half out of phase in series is possible. Half out of phase works by combining two pickups out of phase with each other and one of the pickups has had the low end cut out. So you end up with the low end of one of the pickups left in tack and the higher end of the pickups interact out of phase as they would normally. The issue is that if the pickups are in series the filter cap (that cuts the low end of one of the pickups) would be in series with both pickups so you would just end up with two out of phase pickups wired in series with a bass cut that would have minimal effect because the bass is already mostly cancelled out due to the pickups being out of phase.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. PJb4

PJb4 TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Italy
    I understand. Anyway there's a way to make the inner coil + single in series? I've tried anything, even using one by one the two ground of my single coil ( it's a twisted Tele )...I'm lost

6. Asmith

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Here you are, designed so all the humbucker wires solder to terminals relatively close to each other.

Series split coil tele.png

7. PJb4

PJb4 TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Italy
    I've tried it yesterday and don't work. For the the bridge pickup ( a Twisted tele with 2 grounds ) I soldered I ground to the pot and one the switch.
    For the humbucker I've considered the grey as the bare.

8. Asmith

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    What brand of humbucker are you using, I forgot to specify that my diagram is for seymour duncan pickups. Different brands use the same black, white, green and red but they usually differ in how they're connected to the coils. Sorry if it is the problem I should have been more specific.

9. PJb4

PJb4 TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Italy
    I'm using a GFS. They reverse only the black with the green as I remind well

10. Asmith

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    I've had a look and the black and green are reversed but the red and white are also reversed but that isn't an issue with this layout. Have you tried swapping where the green and black wires are soldered to? Also, do any of the positions work, are you getting no signal in any position or are you getting an out of phase tone in the middle position?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  11. Asmith

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    I've triple checked the diagram now and there doesn't seem to be any issues. Regarding the humbucker wire colours, I did make a stupid mistake and did them backwards to the seymour duncan colours for some reason. Anyway, that means the colours are correct for GFS pickups. Guess I need to know what isn't working for you at the moment.

12. PJb4

PJb4 TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Italy
    So I don have to invert the black with the green?

13. Asmith

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    You don't have to invert the colours, as long as, green is hot and black is ground for GFS pickups.

14. Teleterr

Teleterr Tele-Afflicted

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    G-B-N-+ sounds different than G-N-B-+ so try both. In general w most Tele N and B s the N thru B to + gives stronger bass, B thru N to + gives mids emphasis IME.

15. Asmith

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    If you were to do this you would have to modify the bridge pickup to have an independent ground but I do agree that pickup order can make an small difference but it's soon forgotten after 5 minutes of play. Really we need to find out what's wrong with the wiring in @PJb4 's guitar he said it didn't work but we still don't know what isn't working.

16. PJb4

PJb4 TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Italy
    I just need to buy some new wires since the old ones are worn-out.

Anyway, my bridge pickup have 2 grounds ( Black and blue ) and 1 hot ( yellow ). I don't think that changing the grounds change something...or does?

The pickups were completely silent in all 3 position.

17. Asmith

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    If you have silence in all 3 positions then something else is playing up. Maybe the bare wire from the humbucker is touching something else it shouldn't or maybe something else is shorting. Ideally, you need a multimeter to troubleshoot a guitar circuit, it can give you a good indication of if something is shorted or if a connection isn't made. If you don't have one my advice would be to get one and a very cheap one should do the job. If you don't have one, I would thoroughly check that your wiring matches the diagram sometimes something is missed out it happens especially when you have a lot of wires in one area like the switch. While you do this check that each solder joint is shiny and clean and that nothing is touching something it shouldn't.

Another question does the guitar hum or hiss at all when it's plugged into the amp or if it's silent. If it does hiss or hum does it stop when you turn the volume down?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.