Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Send paddleboard to speakers instead of amp?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Nolefinity, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Nolefinity

Nolefinity TDPRI Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Atlanta
    My whole life, I've only played my Tele through an amp with or without pedals.

But I'm wondering…

I've got about four petals (including OverDrive, delay, reverb, and a looper). And I'm getting the new Digitech sdrum to build drum beats in real time. And I want to play a little bass guitar too.

Since I need a more full range sound including base support, could I run that whole pedal set up out to powered speakers like these instead of an amp? https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iLoudMicro

I.e., will the petals give me all the tone and effects I need (obviously not the same as a tube amp) Plus that extra flexibility for drums and bass?

2. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    You would want an amp modeling pedal like the Joyo American Sound for example at the end of your pedals. But maybe I don't understand - you also want to play your bass through your guitar rig and / or through 3" powered speakers? That's not a great idea in terms of how it's gonna sound. I'm just not sure what you want to do and why you think tiny little speakers will be an improvement on your guitar amp. For $300 - what those speakers cost - you can buy a nice big used keyboard or bass amp and play the bass and drum pedal through that.

3. Nolefinity

Nolefinity TDPRI Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Atlanta
    Thanks for the reply.

Check out this video below. It's basically what I'm trying to achieve. I filmed this of me with a drum track going into a Mustang GT 40 (full range speakers), then layering guitar on it. Worked great.

But now I want to add bass to it. I could, but I don't want to blow out the speakers. And I want more stereo sound.

So I either need two Mustang GT amps, or powered speakers.

4. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Cool - but you ought to look for something with a decent woofer, not 3" "full range" speakers. I suspect your current setup is already better than what you have in mind. You can play a bass through a guitar amp but just keep the volume low - if it sounds like it's ripping the speaker apart, it is.

5. Nolefinity

Nolefinity TDPRI Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Atlanta
    Good thoughts. Appreciate the insight. I might just stick with two GT40s as my stereo setup.

6. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Ventura CA
    I've been running my pedal board direct to the PA for the last few months. I don't have any big-time overdrive sounds, just some light OD to fatten it up a bit. Sounds pretty good

Nolefinity likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.