Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Semi-newbie questions about refinishing and blending, please advise!

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by [J.K.], Aug 13, 2017.

1. [J.K.]

[J.K.] Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2011
    Δustin
    I recently purchase a guitar body that had some finishing problems (drips, uneven finish, a few bare spots, small divots in the clear coat around some areas, a neck pocket that had hard checking that's already begin flaking... and a curious sharpie mark). Without getting into the details, I'll mention that the seller sent some extra paint so I could restore some of the more egregious areas. I taped off the areas and added the new paint. After a couple days of drying, I noticed it's definitely a lighter shade of paint they mixed up than the original coat. I'm not too worried, but I am curious about a few things:

1. How long after applying the paints should I wait before taking off the frog tape?
    2. Is there anything I can apply before the clear coat (perhaps a slightly tinted oil) that would seep into the re-painted areas to darken them just slightly?
    3. Is there something like a thinner or something that can kind of "melt" the paint slightly that is easy to apply that would be good for the blending process?
    4. Is there any technique in buffing that could be used to blend the colors better, or do I need to wait to buff until after the clear coat?
    5. If I need to level down the areas where paint's been added before the clear coat, should I wait a couple weeks to sand with a super-fine grit to make it level, or should I do that sooner?
    6. Will an untinted clear coat darken the paint at all or help make the new areas look more "muted" and normal?
    Thanks for the help. I've only worked with finishing a few times, so I'm still a bit of a novice. Any details would be appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017

2. Beats

Beats TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2017
    US
    1) almost immediately.

In response to all other questions: yes.

3. [J.K.]

[J.K.] Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2011
    Δustin
    What's the gentlest buffering pads one can use to blend in finish?

4. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    No answer. You don't say what type of "paint" was used to finish it,what you were given, how you are cleaning/preparing the surface and applying the "paint", what the ambient conditions are...

I.e. is it lacquer (wis so what type and application method), polyurethane, polyester or some non-guitar type finish?

these answers also affect what..if *any*...buffing pads can be used.

How much coating are you applying (coats, mil thickness) and how long are you planning on letting it dry before buffing? Are you wet sanding first? with what grits? And again - what are the ambient conditions? Temperature and humidity have a significant effect on dry time of most coatings.

You don't use buffing pads to blend in finish - but the technique depends on what coating is used.

5. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    You don't use buffing to blend colors. It's a spray technique that takes high-end, fine-finish equipment and years of finishing experience. EIt migh tbe possible to try to try buffing to do it - but the finishes would still have to be applied in the same fine-mist spray patterns.

There's really no way around using precision coatings application. It'd the only way to blend colors smoothly.

As far as buffing - you don't use "pads" - the proper way to buff is with cloth buffing wheels and stick-type or guitar-specific buffing compounds. If you Google "cloth lacquer buffing wheels" and the buffing sticks (or, for example, Colortone buffing compound) you'll find loads of information including videos.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.