Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Semi-hollow questions

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by lammie200, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone

That's very nice.

2. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    I have 2 hollowbodies and 3 semi-hollows. Never tried a Tele Thinline so I can't comment on them.
    The semi-hollows are in fact closer to the sound of my solidbodies. Also easier going overdrive without feedbacks (although I do play some cranky overdrive with my main guitar = Ibanez AR75 hollowbody).
    Nevertheless the attack seems different in the response when picking compared to a solidbody.
    Of course a big difference comes from the fact that my solidbodies are all bolt-on-necks, whereas my hollows are set-necks.
    I don't really buy into the "solidbody has more sustain"-thingy.
    I'd say the tone develops differently - a different soundcurve; with a solidbody the tone seems to build up and reach a highpoint, whereas the tone with a hollow or semi-hollow (real hollow, not a chambered guitar) seems to be immediately "there".
    Anyway, since I played my first hollowbody for the first time, it was clear to me, that it was no way back.....I sometimes take one of my solids from the wall and play around, but I've been gigging with hollows only since the past 13 years.
    To be honest: I can't stand the sound of a strat any longer.......of course, each to his own!

3. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    I feel the same -even with a more distortion-like sound, they sound more......organic, more like an instrument.
    I'm awfully sorry, "organic" - just like "transparent overdrive" - are usually just psycho-acoustic-hipster-gibberish, but I can't describe it better. A hollow/semi-hollow with overdrive up to certain level still maintain a recognisable sound of the guitar and string, whereas overdrive/distorion on solidbodies seem to mask the guitar behind the effect. But then, this is my main concern with distortion anyway; I rarely use anything more than a crunch overdrive, because I feel the tonal range (attack, overtones, dynamics etc.) gets reduced with more distortion. Martin Barre's sound on Jethro Tull's Aqualung album is about the nonplusultra for crunch rocksound for me (AFAIK done with a Les Paul with P90s and a Marshall)

4. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Tele-Afflicted

I just got a Hofner Contemporary Series Club guitar, and I'm sitting here practicing for tomorrow's show with it. The guitar is semi-hollow with no f-holes (I guess you could just call it 'chambered' if you wanted to split hairs), and it truly does have a different tonal characteristic from most of my other guitars. I agree with those who are saying that it sounds like there's a 'notch' of tone removed from the tone of a solid-body, and it seems to sustain quite a bit more at lower levels. And with a bit of compression it's got a nice little growl without becoming to 'gain-y.'

- D

5. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Meister

Jul 25, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Sorry for the delay in replying, I haven't had the time to visit here recently.

The neck profile on the Guild M-75 Aristocrat is a vintage soft U with a nut width of 1-11/16" (43mm). I have small hands and I find the guitar suits me very well.

Frank'n'censed likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.