Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Semi-Hollow Carve Top

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Deed_Poll, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Tele-Meister

Feb 8, 2013
    Brighton, UK
    Here's the design - like a 335, slightly offset waist, larger Venetian style 'mickey mouse ears' and a much deeper carve in the top.

[​IMG]

This is the top, carved from the back. It's 26mm thick, one-piece sycamore (a true maple, I think sycamore is used to describe another tree in the States)

[​IMG]

I'm doing this one in a Thinline semi-hollow style with a solid back, carved out and chambered as a tub. I didn't have a board wide enough to do a 2-piece back, so I borrowed some of the wood from the waist and added my to the lower bout.

[​IMG]

I hollowed out the core today and cut through for the rear route cavity. The recess for the cavity cover will be cut from the back once it's all glued up to the top.

I also got my first look at what the join lines with the "wings" on the body blank are going to look like... I don't think they look too bad from the back, but they're definitely visible from the sides! I guess I won't know how I feel about them until it's all together.

I think this one's going to get a gold top finish with natural back. I'm interested to see if this lighter coloured piece of the heat treated poplar is a good visual substitute for mahogany. It does exhibit some of the same "chatoyance" of Mahogany, in that it's very reactive to the angle of the light hitting it. The centreline sometimes looks good, but is mostly very visible because of this! I'm not too bothered.

[​IMG]

I included a strengthening boss around the rear rout cover so that the screws have something to grip into. Back thickness is 7.5mm for the most part, but 1/2" around the cover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cavity cut came out much cleaner than usual, because I used a raster toolpath that only takes one line at a time. Using the "offset" toolpath has a tendency to leave little walls and islands as it goes, and sometimes these snap off as it cuts.

[​IMG]

The aforementioned very visible centreline! I'll probably give it just the slightest skim off (0.3mm) just to check it's not being exacerbated by glue residue.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Joins are much less visible from the back than they are from the sides

[​IMG]

All clamped up...

Raimonds, jazzboy, 2blue2 and 7 others like this.

2. magic smoke

magic smoke TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

May 28, 2017
    Quantum Entanglement
    This is a gorgeous design. What program did you use for the rendering? It looks convincingly realistic.

jazzboy likes this.

3. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    That roasted poplar looks pretty nice. There are days when the CNC bug bites hard. :) Nice work.

4. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Great job, and looking good so far. Can't wait to see this progress.

5. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Tele-Meister

Feb 8, 2013
    Brighton, UK
    Thanks! I'm a render artist as my day job. This one is rendered on KeyShot

6. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Tele-Meister

Feb 8, 2013
    Brighton, UK
    Do it! The learning curve is fairly steep to start with, but it only gets easier. I don't know what I'd do without mine now!

richa likes this.

7. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Tele-Meister

Feb 8, 2013
    Brighton, UK
    Cheers! Will hopefully get the body all finished tomorrow

8. magic smoke

May 28, 2017
    Quantum Entanglement
    Your rendering definitely looks like someone got paid to make it ! I loved the bunkspeed, although I haven’t had a copy since it was called “hypershot.”

What modeling software do you use when designing? Did you measure and model all of the stock hardware or did you find a source for the models?

9. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Tele-Meister

Feb 8, 2013
    Brighton, UK
    I pretty much always use Rhino to model all the components, I'm just extremely quick with it! I've been building up a library of all the common bridges, pickups, knobs etc. as I go.

I tend to design necks on SolidWorks because it has excellent support for parametric models, so I can design everything to be configurable with the click of a button. On my current neck model, that even includes scale conversions, and around a dozen other attributes, half of which determine the neck contour itself.

You can see the jig I cut out of the bed to deal with necks, they're coming soon! I've just designed it all from the ground up to be so open to customisation it's taking a while to get a bulletproof process in place.

:)

magic smoke and Torren61 like this.

10. Joel.angstrom

Joel.angstrom TDPRI Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Sweden

11. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    You worry too much. It looks fine. Keep going.

12. magic smoke

May 28, 2017
    Quantum Entanglement
    Designing the process for building is key! (also one of my favorite pieces of the puzzle.) It can be argued that many of the aesthetic details of Our Beloved Tele were chosen to serve the process of construction, not the other way around. Deed_Poll, thanks for the peek behind the curtain!

Deed_Poll likes this.

13. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Tele-Meister

Feb 8, 2013
    Brighton, UK
    Thanks for the kind words and encouragement guys!

I cut the top carve profile today, here are some arty pics for your delectation! :D

The surface is quite rough straight off the machine, and there's a "scar" on one pass of the toolpath where I lost some vacuum pressure, so it cut a little deeper while I was getting it sorted. It will all sand out, though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2blue2, richa, lbridenstine and 7 others like this.

14. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    That is fantastic!!

15. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Tele-Meister

Feb 8, 2013
    Brighton, UK
    Got her off the machine just now... Still LOTS of hand sanding and finishing to do!

I've cut the neck pocket to take a modified Strat heel as a set neck, and it should look decent and have that nice continuity between the body perimeter and the neck edges like on a 335.

I haven't made the jig to modify the neck yet, so I've not been able to mock that up; but initial signs signs for ergonomics are good. It feels great under my arm and supports my picking hand without being too deep. Definitely a better thickness for me than a 335, which is a bit thin for me and leaves me wondering where to put my elbow!

It isn't light; I picked a particularly heavy piece of poplar for the back and it has a full centreblock. But if I had to guess I'd say it weighs about 5-1/2 lbs, not bad for such a large body, and I expect it will balance well when the neck is installed.

I was planning on installing cream binding but I think masking off the top will do just as well, and will save the bother of building up the binding around the neck pocket where the carve makes the body a good bit deeper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crafty Fox, richa, Macrogats and 10 others like this.

16. 2blue2

2blue2 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu
    Wow! just gorgeous!, I'm going outside and throwing my router and my templates away.
    Well not really but......

17. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Kinda sorta reminds me of the Les Paul semi-hollow-body that had low-impedance pickups:

[​IMG]

18. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Wonderful, i’m in awe...

Now just admit it- you own half of the stock in all CNC manufacturers- and that is why you make us all drool? :confused:

19. PinewoodRo

PinewoodRo Tele-Afflicted

Really nice! Love the sycamore

20. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    That looks like a semi-hollow Wolfgang.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.