Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Selling something on Craigslist- buyer wants to use PayPal

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheesehead, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Cheesehead

Cheesehead Friend of Leo's

Amp is $2100.

For a local cash sale should I invite someone to my house or meet at a neutral public location? And if so how could they demo it?

2. tery

tery Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    You are the seller - your terms .

3. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    In my area there's at least one music store that encourages people to transact their CL sales at the store...apparently they let you use amps to try guitars etc. (I haven't done this myself.)

Probably a good way to get people into the store, sell some accessories..."well I guess i should pick up some strings and a strap for this new beauty!"

Good advice above from the other folks. PayPal sounds a little fishy for a local sale, so if you use it, just be sure to have the buyer use the "send money to friends & family" option. That way they can't file a claim on any merchandise.

(If they refuse, get yerself and yer amp outta there!)

BorderRadio and CoyotesGator like this.

4. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

May 8, 2014
    Katy, TX
    There are both "Pro's and Con's" in accepting PayPal. I sold a Tele one time where the buyer wanted to use PayPal; when I pointed out that Cash was King he told me he didn't have the Cash but could pay using his PayPal Credit account. In any case when selling high value items it is best (wise) to draw up a Terms of Sale Agreement (to avoid future memory problems on what was offered and accepted) which you and the buyer both agree to and sign, making sure that both parties have the ability to contract the other should there be a need to do so in the future. Take Pictures of the item so there is a record of its condition at time of Sale! You might even want to include it as an attachment to the Sales Agreement the buyer signs.

Meeting at a public place to do an Amp or Guitar transaction IMHO is risky if there is no practical way for the buyer to demo the amp/guitar. I wouldn't buy under these conditions and would be leery of anyone wanting to use PayPal for the purchase without knowing the amp worked or the guitar was what they really wanted.

I have used PayPal for years going back to the time when it was known as "Bill Me Later" and have had no issues but I always do my homework to ensure that both the buyer and myself get what we want out of the Sale.

If something doesn't feel right then don't accept the offer (same goes for buying).

Hope things work out for you going forward.

5. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2017
    NWNJ
    do your deal at local PD

accept ONLY if PP is F&F; there is no recourse/180 day BS to contend with

6. Deeve

Deeve Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    . . . so does my .380 . . .

Peace - Deeve

BorderRadio and BadMojo like this.

7. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR

BINGO !

The packing and shipping part another scare for me...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    brown2bob likes this.

8. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    I have collected some three or four thousand Paypal payments over the years, and have never had a problem. Most likely your buyer simply doesn’t have any cash, and can’t use his credit card for Craigslist. Unless you are selling on eBay, which has a buyer protection (seller extortion) plan, you don’t have to really worry about your customer trying to rip you off.

9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I don't believe in the you have to sell it to a guy who wants to buy it through pay pal or he'll get away. If someone wants it, they'll dig up the money just like I did when I bought it. If not I'd rather have what I have than a big empty hole in my pocket where the money WOULD have been. Someone said, well now they probably can't afford the whateveritis, so that's why they are using pay pal. Seriously you want to do business with a guy who can't afford the object your selling? Just getting burnt once would be twice as many times as I would be willing to risk.

10. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    Actually Paypal policy not ebay init?

11. Cheesehead

I told her cash only and local pickup only. Also trying to sell on Reverb.

12. jaybones

jaybones Tele-Afflicted

I always follow these rules buying/selling on CL.

Meet in a public place, I always offer a police station (many have areas set aside for such meeting, and if someone is not on the up and up they will likely not want to meet you there).

CASH only. No cashier's check, money order or anything else. Particularly beware of getting overpayment and giving the overage to the shipping agent.

And, if possible, always take a buddy with you. I prefer Smith & Wesson or Colt.

chiefline likes this.

13. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Only CL buy I made was a '75 Tele. I looked up the seller's address to get a sense of the neighborhood, seemed nice, and she said just meet her there. She had it in the garage which IMO was very smart, and I wasn't concerned with trying it out because I knew it was a fixer-upper, though I have a Pignose I could have brought.

Maybe you should do the same? Have the garage door open, maybe a neighbor on hand, and have the amp plugged in for them. No need for them to even enter your home.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017

14. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    This has worked fine for me.
    Consider that the buyer is equally nervous about being ripped off/robbed.
    It may sound lame, but I only deal with people who are clearly educated about what they are buying/selling. I know there are LOTS of guitar players out there, but the vast majority are enthusiastic and honest.
    The profile of the CL thief is one who works many different categories and doesn't know anything about them.
    It's not foolproof, but it's put the odds far onto my side and has served me for many deals.

Commodore 64 likes this.

15. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I once sold a car on craigslist for $8500.00 cash. They asked me to drive it to their place and they'd drive me home so I could take my plate with me and they would not have to drive it illegally it being Saturday or similar.

They had an extra friend and so did I. Turned out they knew each other as my friend and their cousin were both cops.

16. MA6200

MA6200 Tele-Meister

May 12, 2017
    Maryland
    Without a tracking number PayPal will not back you in a dispute. This is why PayPal for a seller should never be used for local sales.

You are asking to get ripped off if you accept it. It doesn't matter if you check your phone to see the funds are there, the buyer can dispute later with your gear still in hand.

Maybe some of you haven't been burned yet but it is always a possibility.

BrandonIke and pdcorlis like this.

17. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    as said.

18. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2013
    NYC
    I had the reverse done, the seller asked for PayPal instead of cash for a 2x12 cab! I asked him why he wanted the PayPal and he said that he kept his gear fund in his PayPal account. Whatever works as long as there's no risk to me!

19. Cheesehead

I love the police station idea!

I told the person cash only and local pickup only and they didn't reply. Hmmm...

20. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    Probably the best advice I've seen here, cash transaction, and do the exchange in a public place.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.