Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Selling gear for heat

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bear04, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Natural gas is the future and SHOULD drastically cut petroleum needs. But it's the price levels which don't make sense.

Same thing in the U.S. Natural gas is the boon as far as production, but can you buy a car that runs on it?

bear04 likes this.

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Selling gear for consumables is the saddest thing...except for when you don't have any gear to SELL...

bear04 likes this.

3. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2009
    Waubeka Wisconsin
    Arthur Brown has heat...

4. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Jan 21, 2016
    estados unidos
    Having to scrounge to pay the bills was a recurring situation when I was in my early 20s, those bills included heat someplace a heck of a lot colder than New Brunswick. When I would complain about it I used to get recitations of the grasshopper and the ant fable.

bear04 likes this.

5. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
    There's a friend of mine who has gone without power all summer. No power. No fridge, no ac, no lights. This was the second year in a row they had to go without power. She works full time and even got a second job to pay off her bill and got her power turned back on just before winter. Medical bills and kids. I tell ya what.

bear04 and Jakedog like this.

6. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    My mum, dad and I had some tough times when I was a kid in the 70's but they did whatever was required (including selling non-essentials) to keep a roof over our heads and food in our bellies.

Many seem to think of the UK as being a country where everyone has everything they need but, since the financial crash in 2007/8, there's been a steady decline in living standards, use of "food banks" is growing rapidly to stop the poor from starving and infrastructure such as the NHS goes beyond breaking point every winter due to under-funding.

The fact that this is happening in Canada and the US (and even worse in developing countries) is, IMO, shameful when you think of the money that countries spend on weapons and things that do nothing to help their own people.

I really feel for anyone who has to sell what they worked for - just to keep body and soul together and I hope I never have to go through that ever again.

Sorry for the rant.

william tele, bear04, Jakedog and 2 others like this.

7. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    I thought that was the point of global warming, so people would stop freezing.
    I too wonder how the natives did it.
    On a positive note, my rescue dog from Inukjuak will sleep inside tonight, where she is from ( the Great White North) its going to be feels like -46 C tonight.
    Stay warm everyone.

bear04 and Jakedog like this.

8. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    Sucks to have to do it. But it's stuff.

bear04 and troy2003 like this.

9. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

May 10, 2007
    Laurentians, Quebec
    This is heart-wrenching.
    I've got 46 commercial-sized bags of wood pellets in the barn right now. We use it as bedding for the horses (you add water to it until it has the size/consistency of cheetos). I'd gladly give that fellow a couple of bags if he lived closer. I'm probably going to feel very guilty when I do chores this morning.

william tele, bear04, Jakedog and 3 others like this.

10. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    At 46 below I would stick my head out the door to check on my old Malamute.
    He would get all excited thinking you were going out to play with him.
    Foolish dog

11. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

May 10, 2007
    Laurentians, Quebec
    I lied. I don't have 46 bags. I had 71. Two went into stalls this morning. IMG_1708.JPG IMG_1709.JPG IMG_1710.JPG IMG_1712.JPG GUILT in the barn!!!

bear04 likes this.

12. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I never heard of this stuff--and I was a jockey for a short time in the 70s.

Rode all through my youth (yes, in BROOKLYN!), groomed and taught riding (English), then on to the thoroughbreds. I wasn't very good, hence my short jockey career:

I valued my life more than the crappy money I would earn winning races at crappy, low level racetracks. Penn National in Pennsylvania, to name one.

I envy you. Would love to own a horse, even just to groom and care for it.

NashvilleDeluxe likes this.

13. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    Can you recycle it for heat after the horses have used it for litter:lol:

troy2003 likes this.

14. bear04

bear04 Tele-Holic

Jul 24, 2011
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Several years ago the government passed a law making it illegal for N.B Power to shut off residential power during the winter months. I think from November through March. However, after that time frame if bills were unpaid a person's power can be disconnected. The problem is a person that is in that position continues to rack up a bigger and bigger bill that they struggle to pay. Tough call and not a position I would wish on anyone.

15. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Just got some bad (1k+)news from the dentist, I was planning on selling a few things and perhaps upgrading
    my acoustic, guess not. Still fournate I have some options to cover it .. That’s just the co-pay, devistaing w/o insurance.

bear04 likes this.

16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

bear04 likes this.

17. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    bear04 and troy2003 like this.

18. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    I've sold stuff over the years to pay bills, I doubt there are many grownups who haven't. But, I've hung around pawn shops enough to know that everyone has a hard luck story when they're selling. I've also met enough of them coming back across the parking lot from the other direction with a carton of Marlboros or a jug of Wild Turkey to believe most of them.

19. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Here in Baltimore they start fires in vacant rowhouses to keep warm and then end up burning down the house next door.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/m...bs-md-ci-rose-street-fire-20171217-story.html

If only there were a way to drastically reduce homelessness . . .

https://www.washingtonpost.com/new...ss-and-saved-millions/?utm_term=.4f0517f6cda5

noah330, bear04 and william tele like this.

20. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Welcome to civilisation!

bear04 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.