Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Selling gear for heat

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bear04, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

Jul 30, 2014
    US
    Middleman in post #6 was directly referencing that the dead person could not take what was in the U-Haul with him to heaven or an afterlife. Middleman specifically meant, "You can't take it with you when you go." He's saying that if you have to sell your stuff (that you won't have after you die) then don't feel bad about having to sell it for heat.

It is sad however these people are selling possessions for heat. If you could trust a person to buy it back later it would be great to buy these things, but it's a stranger and so it's more potential risk than it's worth.

If I recall the members of The Band in their early days had to burn furniture for heat in a cold winter.

Jakedog and bear04 like this.

2. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2004
    trumansburg, ny
    Yep... tough times. You've got to be prepaired.

The North Country is not a good place to be in the winter with little or no heat.

I've always wondered how the Native American's, trapper's and early pioneer's kept warm, dry and ate.

3. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    cabra velha, bear04 and JL_LI like this.

4. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    I'm humbled and grateful that I've never had to face a winter without heat, warm clothing, or food and have never had to choose between them. My family and I have been blessed and I can't point to anything I've done to deserve it that others in dire conditions haven't done. A prayer won't provide firewood but hopefully a neighbor will.

thunderbyrd, MA6200, djh22 and 6 others like this.

5. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    There will be an abundance of homeless folks starting fires and accidentally burning down their shelters, too.

bear04 likes this.

6. bear04

bear04 Tele-Holic

Jul 24, 2011
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Yes, this is awesome. Every winter there are stories on the news of people (usually low income and elderly) who have died due to lack of heat.

I was just seeing these comments on the buy and sell site and it was on my mind. I didn't really think it would get controversial. I guess some people just don't realize how serious it can get for elderly and low income. And maybe some people just don't care. It's easy to take our own well being for granted. Hard to remember "there but for the grace of God go I..."

Driver3, televillian, djh22 and 2 others like this.

7. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    That movie The Revenant gets me thinking about that too.

I'm freezing just WATCHING it.

Driver3, Jakedog, dented and 2 others like this.

8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

The gift card could be part of a fraud scam, something new to be wary of.
    The other is sad stuff.

bear04 likes this.

9. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I gotta assume the vast majority of homes have gas, oil or electric heat. So what's the deal with using wood?

Is it cheaper?

Stupid city boy here.

10. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    The journals of Lewis and Clark during their winter with the Mandan Indians references -30 and less temperatures....in a tent...in buckskin cloths....they had to go hunt in that weather but it was a clear day. Can't imagine that.

11. bear04

bear04 Tele-Holic

Jul 24, 2011
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Wood is A LOT cheaper and very popular in eastern Canada. My main heat is oil. I was paying about $2000 / year to heat my house. I had a high efficiency wood stove professionally installed about 12 years ago and now pay about $300 / year to heat my house. A lot more work but also a lot cheaper. Oil and electric are the most common here but both will cost $2-400 / month through the winter here.

Jakedog, dented, tery and 1 other person like this.

12. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    My nephew and his family live in Calgary, and sent us the latest snow photos and temperature reports.

SHEESH!

13. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I've seen ads like that here as well. People selling stuff to have heat, or water.

I get torn. Most of these folks wouldn't take the money as charity if you offered it to them, and most of the time I don't have it anyway.

But the stuff they're selling... sometimes it's stuff I could use... and it's so cheap... but then I get into this inner dialogue... am I dick if I take advantage of their situation, even if it really helps them?

What am I gonna think every time I look at that gear? I'm not gonna be thinking "gee whiz, what a deal I got!". I'm gonna feel guilty as hell. But then again, they really need the help and that's why they're selling it, right? They actually NEED somebody to buy it.

It's an ugly situation.

I had to sell some gear a couple months back to get my car fixed so I could keep getting to gigs. It sucked, but I was thankful there was somebody there to buy it.

I dunno. I hate stuff like this.

src9000, Tele1966, Ira7 and 5 others like this.

14. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    You can have some of our heat. We have too much at the moment.

bear04 likes this.

15. David Meiland

David Meiland TDPRI Member

I've been in a couple of situations where someone was trying to sell something for a lot less than it was normally worth, to get a right-now sale. I bought it for what it would normally be worth and later sold it for that amount. If you have a bit of money you can park for the short term that way, and you know what things will sell for, you can do them a big favor and take almost no risk.

Rbriggs82 and bear04 like this.

16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco

17. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Regarding the above: lots of them didn't make it

18. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Granted, not all households in Canada are set up for oil, but let's assume they are.

With all of the oil Canada has...and relatively small population...I can't understand why the country doesn't use the resource to keep people warm.

I know, I know...market economy, market prices, capitalism, the vagaries of the oil business, blah blah and blah blah...and without getting into politics, I just don't understand.

And I'm surely not singling out Canada in this regard.

Seems like our priorities are a little off, you know?

19. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I've fortunately never been faced with this moral dilemma.

But I sure as hell made many OTHER people face it during my lifetime when they BOUGHT stuff from me at fire sale prices.

Not a one seemed to have a problem with it, and I'm sure they slept just fine.

bear04 and Jakedog like this.

20. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    Most of us are on natural gas
    Much cheaper

bear04 and colnago like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.