Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Sell PRRI to buy Blues Junior: Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tele_pathic, Oct 5, 2018.

1. DennisM

DennisM Tele-Meister

Nov 18, 2013
    Nevada
    +20 on the bias adjustment. Probably running way too hot. That will destroy the tremolo effect and make the reverb harsh and unpleasant.

2. Fullmoon07

Fullmoon07 Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2018
    CA
    Why not take yours to GC and play it next to the Princeton Silverface 68 reissue and the Blues Jr. IV. I guess the III is discontinued, but maybe they will have one. I have played them all side by side. I like the 68 Silverface of the group and the Pro Jr. IV.
    GC also has their LTD Princeton version in wine red with a 12" Jensen, it's like yours but a Jensen instead of Cannibus. It's the '65 set up.... I disliked that model the most.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018

3. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    The 12” Princeton vs the 12” BJ is interesting. My 10” Princeton sounded flubby when I turned it up loud enough to really fill a room. I thought my Princeton was the best home practice amp ever; it was beautiful at low volumes and it didn’t like to be turned up.

I sold the Princeton as I loved to look at it but I didn’t play it much.

I think my Blues Junior is a great utilitarian amp. I paid $250 on Craigslist and adding an Eminence Red White & Blues and upgrading the Reverb talk cost me about $100. I love my BJ and I’ve gigged it (mic’d up) countless times.

4. budglo

budglo Tele-Meister

Feb 15, 2015
    NE Ohio
    I have had several versions of blues JRs and didn’t care for them. Boxy sounding with no bass imo. I ended up with a 68 Princeton Custom and couldn’t be happier. Nice low end and much warmer sound than the blues jr. Better Reverb and great tremolo too .

5. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Holic

Feb 13, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    You really need to sit down with a BJ before you do anything else.
    My take was that it had one good usable tone. Period.
    The tone controls were virtually useless on mine (2011 model) as well as several others that I plugged in to.
    But if that one tone is what you are looking for, go for it.

Mike Eskimo likes this.

6. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Tech time for your PRRI

Wally likes this.

7. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Meister

Jun 22, 2017
    NJ
    I'll be another contrarian voice. Stop spending money. You should be able to sell the Princeton w/ the 12" fairly easily, no? Then buy a used NOS Blues Jr., and with the extra change, get a nice pedal or two. Boom.

8. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2017
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada
    This ^^^^

My blues Junior had one tone in it...

Then I did this...

100_2443.jpg

Now it has lots of tonez in it. :D

9. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    Princeton > BJ no question. I find the BJ to be a good, but only good (and therefore not good enough) amp; its tone just seems totally generic, and a sort of one-trick pony. On the other hand, the Pro Junior, with its 10 inch speaker and lower power, has a voice all its own and can be great if you deal with the crap original components and noise via cleanup and mods. Jeff Beck toured with the PJ for a while. Fixed up, it's one great little unit. Lots of us think of the Princeton as a pretty ideal amp. If there's something out of sorts with yours, I would repair, upgrade, or mod before selling, and no way would I trade it for the BJ, which I think of as a 12" combo with moderate power for people who want a really budget, non-pro amp.

10. TeleV

TeleV Tele-Holic

Mar 10, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    You really should go try a PRRI with the normal Jensen stock speaker before making this decision. I don’t think the Cannabis Rex is a good fit for this amp.

11. Fullmoon07

Fullmoon07 Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2018
    CA
    I had a Blues Jr. same weight as Princeton. I would change the Princeton speaker. And keep it.
    The sweetwater model is
    the 65 blackface with a 12” Canibus Rex. The Reverb and Tremolo are minor issues, imo. The tone is the major issue imo. I just carefully compared the Guitar Center red wine version with a 12” Jensen in that model. I couldn’t get a good tone out of it. I could not get a warm mid range with presence and clarity. Take yours to G.C. And do a side by side test. That is the ONLY way you can know.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    RLee77 likes this.

12. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 24, 2012
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I got rid of my 65 PRRI because the tremolo was so weak as well

The reverb? I look at everything you're describing as a plus

However, you can do exactly what I did and sell that PRRI and buy a CDR for the exact same price. More headroom, astonishingly better tremolo, and two discrete channels with the option of jumping them.

13. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA
    Or... Get a Deluxe Reverb and then you'll have a real amp.;)

telepraise, Airguitar and moosie like this.

14. Fullmoon07

Fullmoon07 Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2018
    CA
    Which Princeton? why can't folks specify sf or bf ? I have a 2018 '68 Princeton Custom and a 2018 BJ IV.

15. Grant Austin

Grant Austin Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2016
    Portland, OR
    I got a Supro Comet this week. The reverb is good. But I love the tremolo. The cleans are very nice too.

Might be worth a look. More spendy than a Princeton variant.

Not sure if it could fit a 12” speaker though.

16. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    OP, sounds like buyers remorse, plain and simple.

If you can't see yourself owning a $1k amp, then sure, get a BJ. If you like it better, then it is better, for you. But objectively, the BJ is simply not as good an amp as the PR. I can't say it's better built, it may be, but all the modern amps suffer to some degree.

The PR is a unique sound. You don't want to get one because it's the cheapest in that product line. You don't want to get one because it's smaller and light. Or because it's roughly the same size and shape as the BJ.

The DR is the more classic Fender sound. Doesn't cost much more, and the reverb is usually a bit more restrained than the PR.

The PR trem is the bias vary type. Meaning, if you amp is poorly biased, it will affect your tremolo as well as your tone. Bias vary trem is more 'organic' and flowing, compared to the choppy optical trem on all the other blackface reissues. Sounds like it needs some adjustment is all.

The PR reverb IS very washy. It's a feature. If you don't want so much of it, just set the pot on 2.5. It's a much better reverb than the solid state circuit in the BJ, with it's half-size tank.

So, go play a DR, see if you like that better.

If the PR is ok, then get it dialed in by a tech, or return it and get another without the trem issue.

RomanS, TeleV and RLee77 like this.

17. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Holic

Aug 26, 2017
    Madison
    I have 3 PRs and 3BJrs right now. I play out with a group just about every single week.

One of the BJrs has been hacked on extensively (by me), and is quite a bit better than the other two wrt headroom and mids. They all sound "good" for playing this or that.

All 3 of my current PRs though (2 from 70's, one totally home-built AA1164 which is my fave), sound just way better under every condition compared to my BJrs, in a blind test nobody and I know would disagree.

I don't dislike the BJr (else I wouldn't have 3 of them!!). But I feel confident in saying: Nobody ultimately will ever say "I'm sure glad I swapped out my Princeton Reverb for that Blues Junior"

RomanS, RLee77 and Mike Simpson like this.

18. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Oh, I missed that speaker difference. Absolutely. The CRex doesn't get the classic Fender clarity and spank, IMO.

The CRex does sound pretty good in the BJ, which is maybe what misled the OP. But a BJ with a CRex still ain't a patch on a PRRI - with any speaker.

TeleV likes this.

19. BobbyB

BobbyB Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like you may have a tube or bias problem. I LOVE my PRRI and would never trade it for a Blues Junior.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.