Self Driving Cars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Zepfan, May 23, 2019.

1. Anacharsis

Anacharsis TDPRI Member

My opinion on this doesn't matter much. I turn 47 in two months. I will be retired and, if I am fortunate, living a pedestrian's lifestyle by the time even half the cars on the road are self-driving. It's going to take a ton of work, only a small fraction of it technical, to make widespread driverless cars a practical reality.

If I do need to use a car, I will always own my own, full stop. I don't care about the counter-arguments. I don't want to ride around in a vehicle that spends half its time as a sex den for extramarital affairs and hormonal teens. :)

Jim622 and boop like this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Okay, so 27 miles is probably okay with you. Out here in California we drive farther than that just run the windshield wipers and hit the squirter to get the bugs off the windshield.

3. Toto'sDad

What amazes me is having lived through several integrations of windows, and all the operating system failure that went along with it at the most inopportune moment, how anyone would be silly enough to ride in the back seat while a computer drove the car.

L.A. Mike and Zepfan like this.
  4. Toto'sDad

Not quite, it's a plug in car, with the capability to employ an engine to prod the electric motor along.

Zepfan likes this.
  5. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I wonder how long the battery lasts while sitting in traffic with the AC on full?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

AC in a car?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Yes AC/Air Conditioning, it get's hot enough around here to fry eggs on any hard surface during late spring, summer and early fall.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I guess this shows there's no one solution.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

The future is here... 253 miles in 'real world' driving conditions:

10. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

That’s another have to look outside your worldview and/or all data post.

Your Windows computer under your control to have a crappy mix of parts and configuration might have crashed far more than actual bad releases of software. The systems in these vehicles will not be something an amateur gets to mess up or have a decision such as choose a great forward camera but a crappy no name side sensor.

I’m sure there will be some mistakes but it is doubtful they will be anything like all the mistakes drivers make all the time. Again, accidents are #3 cause of death in the US, and traffic issues are a huge cost. We don’t all live in places with good urban planning. The new models, products, designs and changes are solving that.

Subaru was first in the US to put this new technology in cars. Owners started driving them in summer 2012. Others jumped in and we’re two model years into Toyota and Honda having it in most vehicles sold. It’s smaller numbers but Cadillac, Daimler & Volvo have been shipping products for a while. That’s a lot of vehicles so it even means they’re in the hands of many idiots. Where are the horror stories?

Look at the money and research going into this stuff. It’s not just a few makers and their parts suppliers. Next generation vehicles and transportation systems is a race for a totally better mouse trap and chance to kill your competition while same time fix a lot of urban and transportation system design flaws.

Thinking of the pilot friends mentioned earlier and your point, they in essence said say as you about what planes you sit in.

I’m sure there will be some problems with this technology but remember the terrible statistics it is out to change. I still predict a net benefit.

DugT and Toto'sDad like this.
  11. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

A great uncle and my step-grandfather were like growing up listening to the Constanza family. They discussed AC in cars along with cruise control and seat belts as things that were going to ruin us all. Why they didn’t add the automatic transmission is anyone’s guess but they all lived when some still used horses.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. kbold

kbold Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

They're trialling driverless busses where I live.
    It won't be long ........

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. Toto'sDad

I'm well aware time marches on, and progress with it. No stopping something new once it starts catching on. I just hope if I'm riding in one of those contraptions, I'm in the net benefit model!

14. Toto'sDad

Better to have it, and not need it, than to need it and not have it!

15. Toto'sDad

Driverless cars ought to cut down considerably on drunk driving!

16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

You very well may not have that choice

17. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

Don't forget the music angle...the resurgence of the bar scene and more people at our gigs! No more worries about driving home.

18. Anacharsis

Anacharsis TDPRI Member

Someone may not. It won't be an issue in my lifetime. Not even a 10% chance.

19. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I already have a self-driving car. I drive it myself.

20. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Driverless? I still don't even see full electric being a thing in my lifetime. Yes, it is all here now, but prime time is way off in the future. I'll be dead, and your kids can deal with the robots and zombies. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.