Self Driving Cars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Zepfan, May 23, 2019.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

a totally reasonable fear... in the video though, the WHOLE incident had been captured. So, the woman could acknowledge the interaction (the citation) but then go to court and show the video if it was wrong... I use a dashcam for myself now, because when something happens, I want a record of it. It seems like the system in the video protects the driver AND the police and avoids the interaction that seems to lead to questionable and dubious shootings.

2. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

My son got to drive a new Tesla from Richmond, VA to NYC recently, and he said that, once he got used to it, it was the most relaxing driving experience ever. He even used the automatic mode in NYC traffic, and felt that the car was doing much better than he would have. He felt like a visitor from the future, watching everybody else having to manually operate their vehicles.

3. getbent

I have been watching Catch 22 on Hulu and watching the guys fly the old bombers and ramble around in the jeeps... how genuinely difficult and inexact (really cool and amazing and mind blowing for the time) but how everything they did was fraught with painful death... the ease of moving vehicles is not lost on someone who felt the luxury of my 72 bug after a 65 chevy pickup.

4. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

With the technology of today , I find the opening lyrics to Pink Floyd's Fearless to be very appropriate . I don't know if the prize was ever claimed , but there was a large reward for the first successful autonomous trip over a patch of Nevada desert . When that has been claimed , I will begin the discussion .

5. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

My wife has a Tesla 3. It charges 300 miles worth of range in just over an hour at a Tesla super charging station. Here in CA the supercharge stations are well distributed along our freeway system so think
    of it as the future already here in some areas of the country. At home on a 240V charger her typical mileage consumption in a day (under 100miles) is easily charged in a few hours at home
    while we're sleeping. Way more convenient than constantly going to gas stations. Come home, park it, plug it in, done.

When we go on long trips we just stop for lunch and super charge. Then if we need more charge around 250 miles later, we stop again for another hour charging break and possibly a meal.
    The supercharge stations are strategically located near places like outlet malls so there are shopping and restaurants to take advantage of while you wait for your car to charge. It's actually
    not a bad way to travel, to take a decent break from the road every 200 miles or so.

DugT likes this.
  6. otterhound

But I can get over 400 miles from a tank in my Focus .

7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

My first car was built in the late 50's. A VW beetle. It's probably still going today. I can't imagine these newer cars lasting anywhere near that long. For all the effort towards lowering emissions and saving the environment there there must be millions of tons of waste and pollution that has been created. To start my newer car that wont run due to sitting and air/bad fuel triggering sensors I will need to work more hours to earn money (creating more emissions/pollution) to pay a guy that had a plastic computer shipped over from china to diagnose the problems for me. That car will be sent to scrap in the next 10 years whereas my 1974 xjs jag would be up and running by now with no need for help and good for another 40 years.

The old cars they used to build locally were way more environmentally friendly when you consider that they lasted many decades and didn't need to be replaced or shipped in from the other side of the globe. They could be maintained and worked on by yourself and parts were produced and available locally saving having to transport them from overseas.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Jim622 and trev333 like this.
  8. getbent

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DARPA_Grand_Challenge

To quote the amazing Ice Cube "today is a good day" which is good timing because, well, 5 cars completed it in 2005.

9. chris m.

Most people rarely have to drive 400 miles. But Americans buy cars and trucks based on what they do rarely instead of what they do every day.

imwjl and getbent like this.
  10. chris m.

Focus is actually a very practical car, which is why Ford can’t sell them. Tesla 3 standard does zero to sixty in 5.6 sec and souped up version in ludicrous mode does it in 3.2. So it’s an apples vs caviar comparison in many ways.

getbent likes this.
  11. getbent

yup, we're ready for aliens and zombies, but global hunger or a pandemic... nuttin... (or just 'today')

12. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

Here is a consideration for those who think autonomous cars are still falible because they are designed by falible humans. The humans that design autonomous cars are teams of sober and wide awake engineers. They are much more capable than the average human who occasionally drives somewhat intoxicated, drugged, sleep deprived, or distracted. I believe autonomous cars have already proved to be safer and they will continue to improve.

This reminds me of the 1970's when someone tried to convince me that she could dial an old rotory phone faster than the new digital keypad phones.

13. broadcaster

broadcaster Tele-Holic

Picture a cop trying to pull over an autonomous, driverless semi for a roadside inspection...

14. boop

boop Tele-Meister

As for big disasters 30,000 people a year die from cars is a big disaster, and it's difficult to quantify the damage it does.
    Not only that, autonomous cars make decisions based on both real world situations collected from every other autonomous car and simulated ones. So the car will act based on what has happened, literally, a million other times. In potentially dangerous situations not encountered in everyday driving, a self-driving car will have more "experience" than any given human driver.

DugT likes this.
  15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I've seen worse figures, but I can't locate the issue I was referring to. From the April 2019 issue of Consumer Reports I found this one.

On page 79:

Toyota Prius Prime:

The Prime is a plug in Prius that can usually drive about 23 miles on electricity only. Taking two hours through a 240 volt connector, or five hours through a regular 120 volt to recharge.

To me this seems quite a lot like a glorified golf cart.

The article goes on to say this model also has an engine that allows it to operate like a regular Prius if so desired.

If I locate the issue that I was referring to about vehicles with similar mileage capabilities, I'll post again.

16. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Many rural carriers around here drive RHD JEEPS. I think I still still them on the lot when I drive by Tauke’s in Dyersville.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  17. otterhound

5 out of how many ?
    Remember that I stated that I would discuss it .

18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

So it's a hybrid not an electric car. My daily commute is (googles) 11km (<7mi) each way, and they don't allow golf cars on the road :mad:

Toto'sDad likes this.
  19. duzie

duzie Tele-Meister

I enjoy driving my Jeep !
    Driverless vehicles ...
    Definitely not for me .
    upload_2019-5-24_21-46-31.jpeg

Jim622 and Buckocaster51 like this.
  20. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

Which genius said this?:

"The Industrial Revolution and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race."

"The continued development of technology will worsen the situation. [and]...advance toward its logical conclusion, which is complete control over everything on Earth, including human beings and all other important organisms."

Therefore he decided to "advocate a revolution against the industrial system. [...] This is not to be a POLITICAL revolution. Its object will be to overthrow not governments but the economic and technological basis of the present society."

Jim622 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.