Self Driving Cars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Zepfan, May 23, 2019.

1. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

The Hyundai Kona also now comes in an all electric model. 250 miles on a charge, which will cover anybody's regular driving needs. Long trips are still problematic, but I can fly to Florida for $85 these days - why would I drive? I could also rent a car for longer trips, and still come our cheaper, and with less overall emissions. I live 12 miles from the nearest town, and most of my music playing is 40 miles each way. I'd consider one of these electrics, after it has depreciated a little.

The battery replacement thing is kind of a non-issue, IMHO. It's warrantied for 100K miles, and many, many priuses are still on the road with the original battery after 200K. After 100+K, I'd be looking at a junkyard replacement rather than a brand-new one from Toyota, just like if my tranny went out.

2. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

For some prime time is now. It really depends on your own personal preferences. Here's a (fully electric) Tesla that's clocked 420,000 miles...and counting. That's a lot of real world driving. And that's a lot of miles for any car to rack up regardless of gas or electric....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/inside...-mileage-tesla-now-has-over-420000-miles/amp/

3. carpenter

carpenter TDPRI Member

Drones then A.I. then terminator

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Self driving or electric cars? Friends of mine take their SUV, not their Prius, up to the ski hill because the Prius has rather low ground clearance. I guess that is for aerodynamic reasons.

5. Anacharsis

Anacharsis TDPRI Member

Telecommuting and teleconferencing (in lieu of business air travel) are both underutilized. We need the people who resist that kind of thing to retire and move on. White collar work is incredibly wasteful, as currently arranged.

telemnemonics and imwjl like this.
  6. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

How many of your neighbors or family have a Tesla? We can always cherry pick an instance here and there and say it is legitimate "for some". It's really not a thing for the masses until we can readily plug them in somewhere.

420K miles a few hundred at a time will not get anyone through a single long trip. That's not really prime time if you need a gas vehicle also to take a family vacation.

7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

8. Toto'sDad

It's just too bad the above is only an April Fool's joke. Wouldn't it be a wonderful world?

9. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Holic

Some people don't like to drive. All of us know people that probably shouldn't drive. A self-driving car would probably serve those folks well.

For those of us who do like to drive, enhanced safety features that kick in while we still get to drive can be a benefit for all.

My concern: self-playing guitars! That will be the end of us all.

10. Toto'sDad

Even better, the self driving motorcycle. I wonder though, will it have and option for annoyingly burping the pipes when slowing down, or sitting at a stoplight?

11. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

As far as electric cars go we’re still in the early adopter stage, like the early days of digital cameras. Over time they will become more competitive and eventually all but the holdouts or special application cases will drive them. People complain about the $40k Tesla 3 but if you look at what you get for the price even before rebates it’s actually an amazing deal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.