Self Driving Cars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Zepfan, May 23, 2019.

1. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I really don't don't like the idea of having to rely on a computer to drive my car for me unless I'm physically unable to drive myself.

Also being a past mechanic and dealing with malfunctioning computers and their sensors, I don't want to put my life into the functions of a computer. I don't think we are close enough to reliable functions for that tech.

There was a news story on today about the Post office. They want to invest in self driving Postal Delivery Vehicles with a Postal Employee on the passenger side to put mail in the box or take a package to the door. What's the point in that? Are the Postal Workers too tired to drive and put mail in the box? Are Postal Workers not capable of driving?

What's the deal here? What's your opinion on this? Mostly about the Post Office getting self driving cars, the first 2 paragraphs were just my own opinions about the cars in general.

broadcaster likes this.
  2. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm all for it, the sooner the better.

That said, it ain't gonna be on a wide scale in my lifetime.

don71 and imwjl like this.
  3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I think it's going to be a gradual process. We'll see more and more computer assisted driving, such as lane monitoring. Full AI driving is still 25 years or more away due to the infrastructure needed to make it a success. It may become available on a limited basis earlier though.

Zepfan likes this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

When I was a kid, we were promised we'd have flying cars by now.....so, are we suppose to get "self-driving" flying cars????? I'd prefer "they" put their efforts into coordinating traffic lights better and improving the flow of cars and traffic.

Bassman8 and Zepfan like this.
  5. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

There was a kit to put stuff on to a Pinto to make it onto a car/plane, it flew, but the concept never took off...

6. Zepfan

I think the Post Office having a self driving car while a Postal Worker puts mail in the box is plain silly.

7. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I'm all for computerized driving.
    Have you seen the way PEOPLE drive?

Flaneur, GuitLoop, nojazzhere and 4 others like this.
  8. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

when we look back at previous innovations and we understand WHY the car was adopted.... we can see the problems with distracted driving, increased traffic density, the self driving car is inevitable in many parts of the world and will happen within a generation. long haul trucking will be a huge benefit... but the rest is inevitable... it will cause a great deal of fear, but it is coming.... we will have driverless cars before we have a full scale adoption of the metric system in the US...

Flaneur, hotpot, aerhed and 4 others like this.
  9. Zepfan

I've seen a few flying car designs over the past couple years that are really promising.

I like to drive when I need to go somewhere. It seems to me that getting a taxi,uber or lyft would be better than a self driving car(probably cheaper too).

birddog01 likes this.
  10. Zepfan

Remember when cars were speeding out of control and couldn't be stopped or turned off?

11. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Holic

Welcome to Pittsburgh. Self driving cars are all over the place here since we have several major development centers working on them. I used to be leery of them, but after sharing the road with them the past few years I've gotten used to it.

As a pedestrian I've walked out in front of them a few times and they've reacted quicker than a human driver.

The idea might be scary, but they're coming no matter what we think.

JayFreddy and hotpot like this.
  12. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

It's a long way from being ready for prime time. But someday, not in my lifetime, it will eliminate most auto accidents.

13. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Holic

The one problem is in those areas where the speed is posted as one thing, but everyone drives at another speed (usually higher). The self driving cars follow the posted speed limit.

14. Zepfan

Instead of driverless cars and trucks, why not more trains and cheaper airfare fro short distance and long haul?

Wobbles likes this.
  15. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Zepfan likes this.
  16. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

Hmmm...maybe. I would like to see it tested on trains or ships before turning it loose on the streets.

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have come around on this subject. Anything to get U.S. drivers away from the steering wheel is a win. Just imagine autos would be programmed to know how to navigate a traffic circle, a four-way stop sign, a red light signal, heck just a simple stop sign or one way streets.

Oh, and they could parallel park.

18. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

What is your source of this information? I googled it and all I could find were articles about USPS experimenting with driverless huge trucks hauling mail from Dallas to Phoenix. During the test a driver will be at the ready.

I googled this because it doesn't make sense for USPS to have driverless delivery vehicles that still need a human to put the mail in the mailbox.

19. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

The auto industry's self-imposed AEB (automatic emergency braking) standard is coming fast. Some manufacturers have been shipping that and more sophisticated systems in numbers or available for all of us for around 7 years now and fully automated systems at smaller scale for close to that time.

This will be a big boost for safety and productivity. This is also one of those areas where a lot of people need to look outside their worldview to get it.

Our family has a special understanding for why everyone should want this. We lost a family member in a car accident where our experience with Subaru's and Honda's rather basic current systems have shown how it would have never happened if the offending driver and/or the victim had the modern safety systems. It sucks to have to identify your mangled dead family member and get the body home. From what we know about the person at fault it also sucks to have a moment of stupidity kill someone and live knowing you did that.

Reliability? The systems family members and friends have in 3 different car brands have been perfectly reliable. For that I mean doesn't brake down and works as advertised. Any false positives or hiccups make sense. No complaints.

DugT likes this.
  20. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I want to be able to lie down in the back seat, listen to music and watch the sky flow by.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.