Seems time to let go of our dog...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, May 4, 2019.

1. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Indeed. No words, condolences friend. Just went through this about ‘17. Still stings.

Chinacat, TheGoodTexan and RodeoTex like this.
  2. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

My deepest and most heartfelt sympathies to you and your wife Tex. My wife and I have lost 4 dogs over the years, and it’s been heart wrenching every time. The latest was just over a year ago, and we had the local vet visit to do the deed beside his favourite tree. The only minor peace we had that time, was that we still had (have) our own Pepper with us. She’s 8 now and starting to show signs of slowing down, but we’re hopeful that she will be with us for many more years to come. I’m feeling your pain mate, and may your Pepper find future joyous times over Rainbow Bridge. He was a fine looking dog, and was lucky enough to have lots of love in his life.

This bought tears to my eyes!

Chinacat and TheGoodTexan like this.
  3. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

It’s rough but a necessary part of an a pet lovers life.

4. Old duck

Old duck TDPRI Member

Good Dog Pepper, Good Dog!!!!

5. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Meister

My deepest condolences.
    Such a painful thing to go through, I know. Time is the only thing that will ease that pain. Then, someday the memories will no longer bring tears, just smiles and laughter. Hang in there.

6. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I hope for your sake that Pepper can hang on until you see him. I hope for Pepper's sake he's not in pain.

7. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

It's hard, but you knew that going in. The guy on the left in my avatar puked one morning and I let him out. He didn't come back. I found him laying in the snow in the woods and carried him back to the house. He died a few hours later. It hit me hard. No warning. The guy on the right was my superstar/ favorite. He had a brain tumor, so we had a heads up. It was easier. It's good that you have the opportunity to get through this on your terms. Love your hound dog.

My 2yo girl had a stroke last Tuesday (wtf?), but she seems fine now. Fingers crossed.

CopyofDSC00534_edited.jpg DSC_0703.JPG

8. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

I hear ya. Tears in my eyes ---- not sure how much longer my aging dog is going to last as well: He's family, my wife and I had him longer than we've had our kids.

TheGoodTexan and Chinacat like this.
  9. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Tearing up thinking of your sweet pal, and remembering mine who I had to let go last summer. My thoughts are with you all.

10. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

In all those pictures Pepper looks like one happy dog! I think it's great that you are able to have a vet visit in person to help Pepper avoid the fear. Knock on wood that she hangs in there and is able to say goodbye peacefully and as painlessly as possible.

11. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Meister

He looks like a very happy, fun-loving dog. My condolences. :cry:

It's the sad part of being a dog owner. We just got another one a week ago as a rescue. The reward is seeing them be happy, and I guess it's worth the pain at the end for me to see the good I get from them for all those years. They are my friends. They are my kids.

Godspeed Pepper. :cry::(

12. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Just an update to this thread, since everyone has been so supportive.

This dog has done a complete freaking turnaround. My wife just FaceTimed with me to show him running around in the back yard, and taking the stairs like a champ.

Crazy. He was falling over the other night right before I made this thread... so much so that he just stopped and laid in the floor. As I said before, he refused water and food for a couple of days... even junk food.

But now? An apparent complete bounce back?!?

Not sure how long this reprieve will last, but I’ll take it. I get to go home for two weeks tomorrow night. I couldn’t be happier!

(On another note, if you’re a praying person, say a quick prayer that I pass Greek Syntax final tomorrow! If not, well wishes are appreciated.)

13. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

Wow, that's great news!
    Done.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  14. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

I think the size of the hole in our hearts when this happens is proportional to the size of the all the heart our dogs put into us

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  15. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

My old dog, Nora, (lived to be 19) at about 15, she behaved like how you were describing... with heavy heart I thought, well, I'll try the vet and see if they can offer any hope... essentially, at first, they said 'no hope' but for like 500.00 they would do a 'body scan' and since I was by myself, I thought 'alright, I'll just say I spent the money on hookers and blow and that will be an infraction, but whatever'

Anyway, they came back and said, 'she has tremendous gas and it is kind of shutting her whole body down, don't worry, she is going to have a tremendous fart and be normal' We got back in the car and on the way home... I had to roll the windows down and Nora lived another four happy years...

she was easily the smartest (and gassiest) dog ever.

Mike Eskimo, Stubee, stxrus and 3 others like this.
  16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

We'll take it!

Here's knowing you'll be pouring on the love now, now that Pepper has gotten a reprieve. Pups sometimes have up days and down and it can go on for years.

Daisy is 14 now, and some days she's quite frisky but other days, awful sluggish. I'm going to be patient, because I know at some point we'll have to carry on without her.

TheGoodTexan and tery like this.
  17. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Good to hear!

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  18. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wow, a ray of sunshine :):);)

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Now that's some good news right there buddy! Good luck with your test. My daughter is working every day, and getting a degree online. I know how hard it is to take care of business, and deal with school. In her case the rewards will be well worth the effort, now that's she's through the advanced math section, I think she's gonna make it on her time schedule. I'm sure that you being who you are will pass with flying colors!

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  20. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

That brought a smile to my face

TheGoodTexan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.