Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Seems like there is no finish on new Squier Bullet neck??

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by logans_tele, Jul 6, 2017.

1. logans_tele

logans_tele TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2015
    Tulsa, OK
    I just got a new Bullet Tele (the FSR Surf Green currently on musician's friend) for my daughter so she can start learning. I was expecting the neck to be pretty rough as far as finish and fret dressing goes, and that was indeed the case.

I was planning on getting the fret ends filed and stripping the finish and coating the neck with lacquer myself to make it feel much nicer, however it sure appears to me that there's not any kind of coating on the neck at all. Maybe there's some thin clear poly but I sure can't detect it. It feels to me like bare, sanded wood. Can anyone confirm this?

If that's the case then that's actually good for me because I dont' have to bother stripping the neck before shooting ReRanch stain and lacquer over it, right?

I did just read another thread where someone mentioned these guitars are soaked with some kind of water-protectant sealer..? Even if that's the case, could the ReRanch Amber tint and clear coat lacquer just go over it perhaps?

toomuch likes this.

2. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You should ask the mods to move this to the Finely Finished forum here.

3. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    Ive bought a few Mighty Mite necks in the past. At first I wondered if there was any finish on there at all
    After some time the first ones got darker and there was no doubt any longer.
    At first they were very light in color , and felt rather unfinished

4. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2008
    Funkytown
    I'm no expert but have been doing a lot of research on neck finishing as I have a Warmoth coming in next week. Every neck I've ordered with no finish, had something on it, so I have to assume that nobody will send a completely bare neck out. However, unless you are going to put on a water based stain or dye, you shouldn't have to worry. Go over it with 320 sandpaper to give it some tooth for your finish and you should be good to go. If you want to check the neck, rough sand the bottom of the heel, if you're getting white dust and not wood, there is a finish on it. Hope that helps.

studio and Ira7 like this.

5. logans_tele

logans_tele TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2015
    Tulsa, OK
    That's good input. Thanks kidmo!

6. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Just got one of those too, am told there's a coat of water protectant on there. Was hoping to stain it (without too much work), but sanding it will be if I go that route. Fretwork was really nice (from GC!), no rough edges at all. Had the factory's hang tag, really nice axe for the $.

7. 61fury

61fury Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2009
    knoxville, TN
    I've got a cheap Harmony neck that was bright white with an unfinished appearance. When I went to lemon oil the fretboard the oil got all over the back of the neck too. To my surprise the neck took on a sheen like a finished neck which never went away. It also took on a more pleasing yellow/amber tone ( It's been at least a year, maybe two since I oiled it) It doesn't feel oily, it feels like a finished neck. I know this sounds improbable . I would love to try this again sometime to see if it worked like i remembered it.

No before/after, just after. Boring shot of an unremarkable neck but you can see the sheen. neck bak.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.