Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

seeking amp build recommendation

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by markeyd123, Oct 12, 2017.

1. markeyd123

markeyd123 Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2017
    USA
    I am mulling over the thought of building another Fender style amp and would want maybe a 30 - 40 watt or so in a 1 x 12, or 2 x 10 (maybe even a head with separate cab, but I digress). I would not be opposed to a tweed style at all, but would really want there to be a decent amount of clean head room so I can get to higher volumes without too much dirt unless I add a pedal. My skill level is not high, but I built a 5F1 that turned out well despite my mistaking normal noise floor for unacceptable hum (if you remember those threads). Thanks in advance for the input.

2. Kev Reg

Kev Reg TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Scotland
    I would check out videos of a 5f4 tweed super. I believe it runs in a 2x10 configuration and can be between 30 to 40 watts. If I ever gig again then I quite fancy building one of these. Possibly even a head version.

markeyd123 likes this.

3. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Meister

Aug 26, 2017
    Madison
    Consider the AB763 circuit -tons of awesome amp variants spin off of that.

markeyd123 likes this.

4. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Holic

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    Maybe something along the lines of a vibrolux reverb? That's 2x10, 40ish watts, lots of headroom and takes pedals well. It's a much more complicated build than a champ but otherwise seems to check all of your boxes.

markeyd123 likes this.

5. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Meister

Aug 26, 2017
    Madison
    ^ AB763 variant ^

(somebody please correct me it that is wrong somehow...)

Nickfl likes this.

6. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    5f6-a. The Bassman is king of all amps! LOL

It's a relatively simple circuit. Simpler than something like a Vibrolux Reverb for sure! Going from a 5f1 to the 5f6-a is not too huge a jump in skill level. Heck, my first build was a rebuild of a 5f8-a (same circuit, more tubes). I imagine it should give you enough headroom, but it's a nice rich clean with lots of overtones and good touch sensitivity.

The Super/Pro/Bandmaster is a circuit I want in my arsenal, but it is only 26 watts. I have low (5e3), medium ('59 Bassman Ri) and high ('58 Twin 5F8-a) bases covered... But the Super/Pro/Bandmaster is on my short list! The 5E4/5E5/5E7 circuits are close to your 30, but not that much headroom. So, depending on how loud 'loud' is, it might do it for you?

markeyd123 likes this.

7. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    I like the super idea.
    Have fun let us know..

markeyd123 likes this.

8. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

Dec 3, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    You can build a 5F6a circuit variant with tons of headroom. I did. Or you could start with an AB763 and give it more preamp headroom and drive the output section harder.

markeyd123 likes this.

9. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

Feb 6, 2015
    Orange County
    I vote for the 5F6A Bassman also. Build it with a multitap ot so you can do different cabs or speaker configurations. I use mine with a 2 x 10 cab, plenty of clean volume for me.

Dave at Boothill will sell you a kit without a cabinet.

I have heard a lot of good reviews of the Tweed Super also. It falls in between the Deluxe and Bassman, but I bet the perceived volume would not be that different from the Bassman. Kits however are not readily available.

markeyd123 likes this.

10. markeyd123

markeyd123 Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2017
    USA
    Do you use 2 8 ohm speakers for a 4 ohm tap? I was looking at Hoffman and maybe mojo tone for the cabinet. Thanks

11. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    Mojotone has the 5F4 Super kits.

The Tweed Super will very likely be my next amp build.
    I have a Mission 5E3 that I built and I absolutely love it. There are times, though, when I wish I had that "tweed tone" with a bit more power and headroom. I've also considered the Low-Power Tweed Twin, but I don't know if I'd ever get that one up near it's sweet spot in any of the venues our band plays in. I think the Super would be about perfect.

12. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH
    5E3 with 2 input jacks (hi/lo), paralleled input to first 2 triodes, cathodyne phase inverter, cathode biased 5881. Big grid stopper on the PI, MV.

Check out page 9 on the attached.

I love this. I have 2 of them out in the wild being played by others.

Attached Files:

markeyd123 likes this.

13. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

Feb 6, 2015
    Orange County
    Yes I use two Eminence Copperheads for 4ohms. I got a 4/8/16 ohm OT for max flexibility

markeyd123 likes this.

14. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    The Super does not have much headroom. the Bassman does but is an awfully loud amp. I would not recommend movign from a 5F1...with little if any electronics knowledge...to an AB763. MUCH more complicated and debugging requires pretty good electronics knowledge.

IF you think you're ready to move to a larger kit - and I recommend knowing at minimum basic electronics, tube functions and having a basic understanding of tube amp signal flow, "power rail" and ground schemes - I think a 5E7 Bassman (or a 5E7"M" - with added midrange control) is not overly difficult.

Put three fairly tight speakers in it and keep it biased in the middle (or just slightly cold) and it will have quite a bit of headroom, yet not have to be turned up as ridiculously loud as most 4x10 Bassmans before the speakers open up enough for good tone.

markeyd123 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.