Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

See and Hear the First Gibson Les Paul “Burst”… and It’s For Sale

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by brenn, Apr 20, 2017.

1. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    See and Hear the First Gibson Les Paul “Burst”… and It’s For Sale

Pretty cool story/video. I haven't been to Nashville in many years, other than passing through. I need to go down and look at some guitars.

"The very first Les Paul “Burst”, originally shipped out of the Gibson factory in May of 1958, has come on the market via Carter Vintage Guitars in Nashville, and it could be yours, if you’ve got a spare $625,000."

notele60, Cog513, pondcaster and 3 others like this.

2. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Tele-Afflicted

That's your typical 'guitar under the bed' legend come to life.

And there's so much cool stuff about that guitar. Funny that they painted a body that was meant to be a gold top and you can see the multi piece body. I guess they figured they were only trying out the burst and didn't care that it didn't have a matched top.

- D

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

4. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    That is cool.

Wonder why those tuner buttons turned brown???

5. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Just pulled out my checkbook and it's sold. Damn it all!

SChoirFan and soulman969 like this.

6. UsernameTaken

UsernameTaken The Smooth and the Fast Ad Free + Supporter

Jan 31, 2017
    Earth
    Yeah me and my black card beat you to it!

</deram>

7. beezerboy

beezerboy Tele-Meister

Sep 7, 2016
    AK
    its a beauty though but really.... thats a stupid amount of money. sorry, I don't see it.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Shouldn't it be in the Smithsonian? I'm thinkin' Leonardo Da Vinci type museum piece.

ecosse and Piotr like this.

9. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    Seriously? I think it's undervalued. My first thought was, somebody with $625,000 to invest could make a profit, because they've priced it too low.

10 years ago a 1958 Explorer, not celebrity owned, went for $611,000. It wasn't the first and an Explorer, even a 1958, isn't in the same league with a sunburst 1958 "closest classic" (as Fender says) Les Paul Standard.

I agree.

Piotr likes this.

10. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

Jan 5, 2011
    Poland
    Before opening the thread, I thought the price would be at least a million.

11. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    I was just thinking, there was a time, back in the 1970's, when you could have bought a 1958-60 Les Paul 'Burst for about the same price as a VCR (and before that, the VCR would have cost a lot more).

When I first saw the headline, that was exactly my thought. If somebody snapped this up quick at $625K, there is room to make a profit.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    jvin248 likes this.

12. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Anyone here have a 15% off discount coupon from Carter Vintage Guitars???? :D

studio1087 and E5RSY like this.

13. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Nice clip about that historically significant LP, that was very cool.

And love the way Ed keeps his collection at home.

Thanks for sharing!

oldgofaster likes this.

14. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    studio1087 likes this.

15. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Tele-Afflicted

Not exactly 'quick' - I first saw the report about this guitar nearly a year ago. Here's a local TV report about it, with Vince Gill and Ed King weighing in on the guitar.

http://www.newschannel5.com/news/fi...er-vintage-guitars-with-a-price-tag-of-625000

I even alerted a couple of friends who may have had the wherewithal to buy it. Nobody bit at that point, though.

- D

16. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    I am surprised. I figured that was a price that would sell it.

My next planned trip to Nashville is in September, to see Adam Ant. Maybe it will still be there.

17. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    I suspect the market for something like this is shrinking. Of course there will always be a market for the best of the best and collector grade stuff, and this first burst meets those requirements, but it's the baby boomer generation that is driving the pricing of the market. In the not so distant future that generation will be moving from earning an income to fixed income, and then to...well you know.

18. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Only it's NOT the first burst. There were some P-90 bursts made in earlier years. Steve Miller owned one at one time. Maybe the first humbucker burst. lp_54.jpg

19. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Rhode Island
    That Explorer was one of only 19, so the price makes sense.

BTW: I've played an original Explorer and swapped out with a 59 'Burst -- both through a Super Reverb. Tonewise the Explorer spit on the 'Burst, gave it a wedgie, tripped it and took its lunch. It had a complex woody tone that was indescribable.

P.

20. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

Is Bonnamasa going to buy it? Watch out, ticket prices are doubling.

Matthias likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.