Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Secrets of The Wood (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by JustPlay, Jan 25, 2013.

1. JustPlay

JustPlay Tele-Meister

To all -

Posted recently about getting two old planks of wood that had been milled on my Grandfathers Farm. The planks are Michigan Red Maple - approx. 80 years old. They were in surprisingly good shape.

Did the final planing on them today, and lo & behold, I stated noticing some real character coming through. As you can see from the pictures there are areas of birds-eye and curl showing. I knew the wood had nice grain & color, but seeing that was just a real treat! What a nice surprise...

I plan to use some sort of natural looking finish - and as always, I'm open to suggestions about that. I really just want to let the natural beauty of the wood come through - in a way that highlights it as well.

These pics show several sections that I just wet down with some water. Hope you enjoy them!

Will

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. prubin0718

prubin0718 Tele-Meister

that's some pretty good looking maple you got there. What do you have planned for it?

3. JustPlay

JustPlay Tele-Meister

Thanks! I'm going to turn it into a Tele body. Using two sections of the wider board for the top & bottom, and then trimming down a narrower piece I have into three pieces -- to sandwich in between.

Will

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.