Second partscaster: the Telelestercaster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Blue Bill, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

CT, my hero! It never occurred to me that different pickups would have reversed black and white leads. I switched the leads on the Fralin neck pup, and it made a huge difference, much better! I'm playing with some friends tonight, so I can give it a decent test drive. Thanks again, everyone that has helped me out.

AAT65, Mudman32 and ctmullins like this.
  2. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

Not only different leads, but different polarity as well! Some pickups are north/south magnets, others reversed. For a “humbucker” noise canceling effect, you need the middle pickup reverse wound and reverse polarity iirc.

Blue Bill likes this.
  3. Blue Bill

Hi Mudman. When I said reversed black and white leads, I was referring to being reversed in relation to Fender black and white leads. I always assumed there was a convention, that all pickup makers made pickups with the black and white in "standard" polarity. Looks like I was mis-informed. Thanks for checking in.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  4. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

Guitars screw me up to no end. In electrical work, black is hot and white is ground. Always throws me for a moment when it’s reversed on a guitar.

Blue Bill and ctmullins like this.
  5. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Tele-Meister

Wow, really nice! Fantastic work on this.

Blue Bill likes this.
  6. Blue Bill

I took this guitar to our jam last night. Everything works, but two issues: The piezo "acoustic" sound doesn't really work on a regular amp; I was using a DR. I tried it through an acoustic guitar amp and it sounded almost authentic. Not authentic, but almost. Certainly good enough for live gigs.

The other issue: the pre-amp really castrates the mag pickups. It has a pronounced compression bloom. Some players could probably make it sound good, for me it's irritating. I compared it with a $90 Squier Strat I picked up at a pawn shop a couple weeks ago, it was like night and day. The Strat sounded awesome by the way, for $90 it's amazing.

So next stop: 1. Bypass the pre-amp for the mags. 2. Rig up a switching scheme for the piezos.

I suppose I could install another output jack and just run the signals to separate amps. Knowing myself, I'll never haul 2 amps around, just to have an acoustic sound for a couple songs, so that seems like a waste of time. The blended mag/piezo sound is interesting. I think it will sound very nice, with the un-pre-amped mag pups. I'll try it without the buffer and see how it sounds. If I need a separate buffer, I'm worried about being able to fit another PC board into the engine compartment, it's already jam-packed.

The thought of un-doing everything and re-wiring the whole mess is making me feel un-motivated at the moment.

ctmullins likes this.
  7. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

Bill,

Somehow I lost track of this build, it is absolutely beautiful. Love the subtle burst, the grain and the workmanship. Top notch!

As for the "electrical issues" it's all a part of the experimentation when doing something unique. Check with Helmut, he has a piezo with magnetic pickup setup on one of his guitars... I think he has a solution for you!

Blue Bill likes this.
  8. Blue Bill

Hi John. You were an inspiration for me to start this project! Thanks for checking in. I sound frustrated sometimes, but really, I'm enjoying the challenges. I don't know what I'll do with myself if I ever get this thing exactly right. If the bypass procedure doesn't work, I'll see what Helmut has to say.

John Nicholas likes this.
  9. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

Wow! The fact that I inspired you blows me away.

Building guitars is challenging. It pushes you to expand your creativity and motor skills in ways you never expected. Each step brings you closer and closer to you goal. Even if those steps require multiple guitars to accomplish.

When you finally figure out the issue with your guitar, you will feel happy, proud and will have a new "friend". And you will figure it out. One way or the other.

You got this!

Blue Bill and ctmullins like this.
  10. Blue Bill

:):):):)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.