Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Second partscaster: the Telelestercaster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Blue Bill, Apr 18, 2015.

1. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    That pickguard looks like it would work great Rex.

Blue Bill likes this.

2. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    It's still too cold here to do any spraying. I put on a light coat, then brought the body inside to dry, it really stunk up the house! So, while I'm fixing boo-bos, I decided I couldn't stand the cracked veneer on the headstock. I tried sanding it, but reached that point where anything I try just makes it worse:

DSCF1880.JPG

I clamped it up to a flat board, figuring I could use the ROSS to keep it nice and flat:
    DSCF1883.JPG

The ROSS was way too aggressive. In about 0.25 seconds, it nearly sanded through! I tried a handheld random orbital with 100 grit, it seemed to do the trick. I think it stayed flat enough for a second try at veneering, luckily, I have plenty of veneer left. Wish me luck!

DSCF1884.JPG

3. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

Dec 23, 2017
    Upstate NY
    Thanks for sharing, booboos and all. Makes it more realistic for a woodworking hack like me, lol. Looks great sofar, can’t wait to see the final result.

2blue2 and Blue Bill like this.

4. Blue Bill

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Thanks, Mud. I've been inspired by the many do-it-yourselvers in this forum. For me, the snafu's are more entertaining and educational than when it looks easy.

It's like golf, right? I get a lot more exercise and practice playing double and triple bogey than a (yawn) scratch golfer. ;)

Mudman32 likes this.

5. Blue Bill

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    More glue, more clamps...

DSCF1886.JPG

Ah, that's much better!

DSCF1892.JPG

6. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

It was worth the work, looking great!

R. Stratenstein and Blue Bill like this.

7. Blue Bill

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Well I visited NYC last weekend and got a chance to pop in to GC neat times Square, to examine the sunbursts on some high-end Les Pauls. I was happy to find a couple with a cherry burst on top of a clearcoat mahogany back. The colors are pretty darn close, I think I'm done with staining. Also the binding looks very similar to some of the LPs, so more happiness. I'll need a waterslide, I'm not decided yet on what it will say. Maybe another "Fenda"

The second the temperature gets above 55, I'll start spraying. Also, it's time to get started on the wiring diagram. I haven't bought the piezo saddles yet; I expect I can find info on the interweb. Here's a current pic, with a couple coats of amber shellac:

DSCF1980.JPG

8. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

9. Blue Bill

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Progress update: We finally had a couple days above 60F. I got 9 or 10 coats applied without incident; let it cure for a couple weeks. I got a headstock decal that said, "Fenda (sic) Lestercaster", in Fender script. I musta left it in the water too long, I was able to wrestle the Lestercaster part on OK, but the Fenda part really wanted to curl up and fold and stick to itself. It fought me like a wolverine for about 15 minutes. We were both torn and tattered. I finally had to throw in the towel.

Now what? I don't really want to order a new one, it cost $25. I have another decal, left over from a previous project, but it is the F-word that cannot be mentioned. I'll tell ya, if it wasn't for the heat I expect I would get here, I would slap it on in a heartbeat. For some reason, I care what you guys think. :rolleyes: Decisions, decisions...

10. BluesBlooded

Hey Bill, sorry that you lost the fight. You could print a new one on waterslide decal paper and show it who the real boss is:cool:

Blue Bill likes this.

11. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    2 cents: when I put my decal in the water... I am counter bending it to ensure it doesn't curl up. Then when you apply... you don't want too much water on the part.
    get some clear injet/laser waterslide stock and diy it - that's my vote anyway. (also I wouldn't look down on you at all for putting the f-word on a guitar... the problem is when you post a pic... if f sees it and knows it's not f they will demand it be taken down for copyright infringe - prob not telling you anything you don't know)

Blue Bill likes this.

12. Blue Bill

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Hi Andre', It's going to take a day or two to heal up, then you betcha I'll come roaring back!

Hi Mike, Thanks for the advice. I've done dozens of decals; I used to build model planes and cars. In a fever of hubris, I told myself, hey why not toss that decal on, while I'm also doing three other things at the same time. Multi-tasking is very fashionable these days. While I was paying attention to something else, the decals were in the tub way too long. D'oh!!

13. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    hehe, right on. that'll happen! but did you get a lot else done too?
    (where are my manors) - killer looking guitar. vnice burst.

Blue Bill likes this.

14. Blue Bill

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    People say you should let nitro cure for weeks and weeks. Not me. I dove in this morning with the sandpaper and naptha:
    DSCF1989.JPG

There's still a million swirl marks; I suppose I'll have to take a couple steps back, maybe to 1200 grit? What once were vises are now habits, er, buffing wheels:

DSCF1988.JPG

It works great, as long as I can keep it from flinging the darn thing across the room! I decided to punt on the decal. For now, it will just say, "Lestercaster Made in USA. Someday I'll make a descision on a logo; maybe just a little Grateful Dead sticker or something.

One of the nice things about building something for yourself, is that you can act in completely reckless and irresponsible ways, and not piss of anyone. I have a few cans of clear "lacquer paint" I picked up a couple years ago, for $1.49 a can at Marden's, a surplus-discount place here in Maine. Who knows how old it is. I figure, the older the better. Modern paint products are, AFAICT, always worse than what they replaced. We'll just see if it works OK on the headstock face.

DSCF1990.JPG

tintag27 and Mouth like this.

15. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

Feb 13, 2018
    U.S.
    Love it!

Blue Bill likes this.

16. BluesBlooded

looks great Bill.

Blue Bill likes this.

17. Old Tele Hack

Old Tele Hack Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2017
    Virginia
    I really like the subtle burst you've put on that instrument!

Blue Bill likes this.

18. Blue Bill

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine

19. Blue Bill

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Wow, my arm hurts from sanding and buffing! The $1.50 lacquer actually works great. It went on much flatter than the Behlen, go figger.

I've had a devil of a time though. My bench vice buffer wheel grabbed the finish near the large control cavity route and sanded through. Arrgh. About a square centimeter, crescent shape. Back to the porch, 8 more coats on the back. I masked off the front, since it was close to being done. Somehow, the tape, with the new lacquer, took hold of the finish, in one spot, at the edge of the binding and, while I removed the masking tape, careful as I could be, it lifted a little chip off the top surface. Arrgh.

Plus, somehow, I can't see how, but somehow, a crack formed, like the topcoat cracked, about an inch long, also crescent shaped. I couldn't get my camera to focus close up on it. I had to sand and re-spray that area, after touching up the amber shellac. It's not perfect, but not too bad, now.

Anyway, it's starting to shine, very exciting. Now, to start installing hardware, wee ha.

DSCF1993.JPG DSCF1994.JPG DSCF1995.JPG

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    jedgington, tintag27 and Macrogats like this.

20. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Wow dude. That's looking excellent. Nice burst, and I love the back. Beautiful job.

Blue Bill likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.