Second partscaster: the Telelestercaster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Blue Bill, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Merci, Andre. I got hit with some anxiety this afternoon; it stopped me cold. I chickened out on cutting the binding rebate. I watched a couple yoo tube vids on applying binding. They were so messy, I started to worry about fouling the already sanded, stained, sunburst, and sealed parts, and needing to sand everything back to bare wood. Freaked me out a little. Plus, the binding actually measures 3/8 inch wide, so the overhang will be a fat sixteenth, my nails are gone, bitten clean off.

So, I figure, I should hit it with another couple coats of lacquer, to buy myself some wiggle room on the cleanup from the binding goo. Before I do that, I then figure, I should rout out the pocket for the brass string stop block. It's heavy, 4.6 ounces, easily heavier than all the wood I removed for weight loss; oh well, neck dive won't be a problem.

I made up another template for the skinny part of the block, but lost my nerve before firing up the router in such a tight spot. I had visions of chunks of fine maple and mahogany ricocheting around the shop like angry bees, while I bleed to death from multiple injuries from a shattered router bit. Maybe I should take a break.

DSCF1833.JPG DSCF1837.JPG

Instead of a break, I got all OCD and made up a pre-bend jig for the binding, with little pieces of plastic tubing on sheetrock screws to prevent the sharp threads from damaging the binding.

DSCF1830.JPG DSCF1831.JPG

It worked OK. Tomorrow, another template for the larger profile of the string block, and while I'm at it, why not make up yet another template to inlay the neck plate, right? Then some lacquer coats, and build up my courage over the weekend, and sling some acetate next week. Thanks for checking in; comments and wise cracks welcome.

2blue2 likes this.
  2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

This is looking mightee fine!

I would’ve done the binding before color. I guess you won’t be using acetone to stick the binding on... ;) worst case scenario you can just think of the first time as a practice. You did it great once, you can redo it if necessary!

Blue Bill and 2blue2 like this.
  3. Blue Bill

Ko nee chee wah, Jupiter! I'm kinda lazy, so I'm hoping not to need to re-do it. It wasn't really that difficult to do the staining, I think (hope) I can get it to come out nice again. I'm keeping an eye on your project as well, can't wait to see some pink sparkle!

4. Blue Bill

Got in a couple hours today. Dug out the old plunge router base. Cutting the hole for the string block turned out to be a tough one. At one point, stopping just short of an F-bomb, I had to remind myself that I'm doing this for fun, right? So relax and enjoy the ride. I'm like an impatient kid sometimes. It came out fine though, no injuries or blowouts:

DSCF1839.JPG

So rubbing my hands together, lets do this binding! I figured I should practice on scraps, before diving in, so I got the can of acetone (I thought), a little brush, and a plywood scrap to monkey with. Brushed it on and pressed a piece of binding on it, expecting it to melt and get all sticky. Hmmm, it's not sticking at all. More liquid, still no stickyness, hey, wait a minute, this is a can of naptha! Spent a half hour searching for the can of acetone I swear I had. Arrr! Off to W-mart. Tomorrow is the day. All dressed up with no gas in the tank:

DSCF1845.JPG

esetter and Arch Stanton like this.
  5. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

The routing looks great, well done.

Blue Bill likes this.
  6. Blue Bill

63 pieces of tape, fingers crossed.

DSCF1848.JPG

2blue2, fordguy_85, AAT65 and 2 others like this.
  7. Blue Bill

Well, the top got beat up pretty good, as predicted. I tried spot-staining, but it came out much redder than I wanted, and blotchy, so re-sand back to bare wood. I hope I can get those colors back!

The binding came out OK. the scraper worked well to trim the excess, except that S curve near the top side of the neck pocket, it dug in a little and if you look closely, you can see a little uneveness of the thickness of the binding. I tried twice, DSCF1854.JPG DSCF1855.JPG DSCF1858.JPG

mixing up some binding + acetone goop, and trowel it in, then re-shape, but it doesn't end up looking much better.

The thin area is less than 1/8 inch long, I think I'll call it good enough.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    ModerneGuy and Arch Stanton like this.
  8. BluesBlooded

No one will see that with the neck in place.

It looks good.

Blue Bill likes this.
  9. Blue Bill

Thanks, Andre, even I won't see it, 'cause it's on the bottom! The colors came out pretty well,I sanded back to bare wood one more time. It's a little more cherry red than before, but looks kinda standard for a LP. Here's a couple pix; one with the amber/lemon, one with the burst. If it's warm out tomorrow, I'll shoot a couple coats and see what we have.

DSCF1861.JPG DSCF1866.JPG

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    esetter, 2blue2 and ModerneGuy like this.
  10. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That looks great. Love that color.

11. Blue Bill

Thanks Reb!

12. Blue Bill

OMG!!! I'm so bummed... Routing out the control cavity, I forgot about the hidden wiring channel!!! Everything was going along nicely, then, whoops, that's not right. Cut a half moon where it definitely doesn't belong. Then, instead of calmly backing away from the router, I lowered the bit, so the bearing would miss the wire channel, dive back in, hey what's that smell? Burning wood? Arrrr. I ran it too low, the collet hit the top and burned it and chewed it.

What a bummer. I'll cut a plug to fit the cutout, and the control plate covers the burned spot, but gee whiz, what a kick in the pants. DSCF1869.JPG

tintag27 likes this.
  13. BluesBlooded

Whoops! That is a bummer.

That's the thing with self built guitar, there is always some flaw to hide somehow. I feel your pain right now.

2blue2 likes this.
  14. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

At least that binding looks fantastic in that closeup! Sorry about the hiccup.

I have not done much binding but I run the binding first and then cut the neck pocket, and it turned out fantastic that way - super clean. More than one way to skin a cat, I reckon. I'll post a pic when I get home tonight.

Rex

15. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Yeah, shame about the hiccup. Really like that top too - prefer the subtlety flamed ones. I too bind first and then route - but that is a disturbing image (skinned cats ie)

16. TRexF16

Here's the result of binding first and routing second, from my extensive experience of having done it just once. This is straight off the router.
    IMG_3393.JPG
    IMG_3394.JPG
    Good luck on the repair.

Rex

tintag27, RodeoTex, 2blue2 and 2 others like this.
  17. Blue Bill

Thanks guys. Rex, that is a beautiful thing, nice work. Live and learn, right?

18. Blue Bill

I was able to calm down and get a couple things done. Here's the patch; I'll need to fuss a bit to get the stain to match better. I went for the recessed plate, to hide more of the boo-boo; I guess it looks OK. This gives me a reason to look forward to putting the other mahogany slab into play, Lestercaster, part duh.

The patch, the plate, and a mock-up:

DSCF1871.JPG DSCF1873.JPG DSCF1878.JPG

BluesBlooded likes this.
  19. TRexF16

Before you drill any holes to mount that pickguard, there is one more thing you might consider. There is a version of the Tele pickguard that looks like I drew in below:
    Pickguard fix suggestion.jpg
    While this would work a bit better with a non-inlet control plate, it is a path that would not only look cool (I'm about to make one for my #1), but would also completely cover the boo boo that you already did a nice job of repairing. I just thought of this and thought I'd throw it out there since it looks like no pickguard holes are drilled yet. PDF attached - you could print it out and see what you think. You might have to modify it slightly.

Nice job on this guitar - it looks great.

Rex

Attached Files:

20. Blue Bill

Howdy Tucson Rex! Cool idea. You got me thinking about it. I was going for a Tele-LP vibe, with the iconic features of the two, but thanks for the suggestion. I might order some pickguard blanks and give it a try.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.