Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Second Partscaster Assembly

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Vanzant, Mar 21, 2015.

1. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden
    Which year`s Strat model?

I can`t see it from pics, is the fretboard of slab or veneer type? With white pg and small headstock and veneer rosewood board it would be very like late 1964 to 1965 Strat model.:cool:

Maybe you want it to be a general reproduction of 60`s Strat.

2. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Hey there savofenno, I was trying to get something close to a 1960's strat, sort of like these, or in the ballpark (I did however choose the 1 11/16 nut width for this one, sort of wish I would have stuck with 1.650, but it still feels good :D)

https://reverb.com/item/268905-fender-custom-shop-nos-1960-relic-stratocaster-2001-3-tone-sunburst

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Strat60R3TSB

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Strat603TSNOS

It is a rosewood slab fretboard...Musikraft makes a good neck :D

Cheers!

3. amears

amears TDPRI Member

May 10, 2014
    Alabama
    Wow. I've gotta add my voice to the others. This has been extremely useful. Think I'm gonna give it a try.

Great job. Hope you're as pleased with it as it looks.

4. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden
    Strange that 1960 CS Strat at Sweetwater has white pg instead of mint green one. I still believe mint green was the norm in 1959-early 1964.:?:
    Well, Fender CS surely can their stuff, maybe there was pure white pg`s also.:cool:

To my knowledge, slab rw fretboard changed to veneer in late 1962.

Whatever, your Stratocaster replica is very fine looking indeed!;)

5. rls1952

rls1952 TDPRI Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Arlington, TX
    Those old pickguards were white in 1959. Over these many years they changed color to the mint green shade you see on the old ones now. Fender never made green pick guards until people wanted their new guitars to resemble the old ones. Just like the "Butterscotch" Teles...

6. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    String Tree

I went ahead and installed the butterfly string-tree. It was easy enough to do, you just have to be sure you have it where you want it before you commit to drilling, and that can be sort of nerve racking. I went ahead and screwed it all the way down.

IMG_1209.jpg IMG_1204.jpg

7. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Update

So after a while of playing this guitar, I finally have it intonated properly. Compared to a telecaster, it is a much different beast in regard to tuning stability, but I think I have the pickups and intonation finally dialed in.

Also, I decided to screw the tremolo claw in a bit more, which I think helped with tuning stability and tremolo use.

I noticed that the "High E" string was falling off the fretboard. The high E string was spaced fine at frets 1 -5, but would just get slightly closer to the edge from frets 12-21. This didn't feel right, and any type of vibrato on the B string had the chance of falling off, and just fretting the High E string was hard to grab, and also would fall off on any type of bend return. I thought this was just something that I was going to have to live with, but after reading up. I learned that I could loosen the neck bolts and push on the neck to realign it. The guys in this post talk about how quick this adjustment is, and they're right.

post 108 on this page
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecast...31931-custom-shop-tele-neck-misaligned-6.html

I heard it shift a little when I pushed down on the neck. Just this slight adjustment was all it needed to align the strings properly. Now it feels right :D

I am now trying to decide what the most accurate way to install the Spring Cover is, or if I should even install it...

Ohh yeah, the custom decal that I have was left over from my tele project. I am just now realizing that a tele decal on a strat doesn't look right, so I am going to see if I can get a custom decal for a strat....to be continued

Last edited: May 10, 2015

8. kromanomo

kromanomo Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2011
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Anytime I ever personally had tuning issues on a Strat, it was always the nut, regardless of whether the trem was decked or floating. My current setup with 3 springs stays in tune as well as any guitar I own.

9. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Decal Question

I am not finding a custom decal maker that gets it close to the Fender logo, and I haven't heard back from JBennett, so not sure if he still does it. Most of the logos I've seen, the lettering looks too thick.

Question: Do folks put Fender logos on their partscasters? This is a Musikraft neck, which is licensed Fender, but everything else is definitely not Fender. I am never going to sell it, it's only for my own use, but is it morally wrong to put a Fender decal on a guitar like this? They are just easier to get, and well, look right.

10. David_Maas

David_Maas Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2014
    Potsdam, Germany
    Yes, people put Fender decals on their partscasters, some of them for devious and illicit ends, most I think because as you say "it looks right" and don't mean anything by it.

I cannot blame you for wanting to put a Fender decal on it, but wouldn't you rather take pride in what you've made? I seem to remember that you had a nice custom decal on your previous partscaster. I think if you use a similar for this one, they will match all the better.

I'd say: be patient and get yourself a JBennet custom decal!

11. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    I would probably prefer a custom logo. The logo I used on the last one is for a tele, so it doesn't really look right...too big (I just assumed they were the same, but definitely not).

I put an email out to JBennett a while ago for a strat style decal, but no response.

How long should I wait before I just put a Fender decal on?

12. rls1952

rls1952 TDPRI Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Arlington, TX

13. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States

14. rls1952

rls1952 TDPRI Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Arlington, TX

15. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    His lettering looks a little thicker than Fender, or Bennett's

16. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2011
    Virginia
    If it's not a Fender, it shouldn't have a Fender decal.

17. ChaseB

ChaseB TDPRI Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Lafayette, LA

That's your opinion.

18. David_Maas

David_Maas Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2014
    Potsdam, Germany
    The Dude has spoken :D

19. stewart_garden

stewart_garden TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Adelaide
    Hi, this is a great thread - very detailed, thank you. I am just about to embark on an very similar project and wanted to ask about your trem installation: specifically: Was the Callaham Vintage S model (2-7/32" string and mounting spacing, I'm assuming) a perfect drop in for the pre-drilled holes on your MJT body?

Thanks for all the helpful posts and inspiration above.

-Stewart

20. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Actually, it's the opinion of the owners of this web site as well, counterfeit decals and where to get them are not a welcome subject here. Otherwise, this is an awesome looking build.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.