Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Second Partscaster Assembly

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Vanzant, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Installing Neck Pt. 2

Here are some additional photos of the installed neck; this is really straightforward!

installed neck and neck plate

IMG_0901.jpg IMG_0905.jpg

neck pocket (nice fit)

IMG_0904.jpg

2. MEXbluesGUY

MEXbluesGUY Tele-Meister

Jan 1, 2015
    New Yoke
    Where's the fender decal?

3. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    right here....:D

JBennett custom decal

IMG_0889.jpg

I toyed with the idea of putting a Fender decal on instead of the custom decal...

anyone else have an opinion?

I am totally open to ideas, so feel free to chime in...cheers!

4. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Installing the Bridge

Installing the bridge was a cinch. First thing of course was to put bees wax on the screws. Then, I just lined the bridge up with the holes on the body. Next, I screwed every screw in just a little bit until they were all almost all the way in. Then, I followed the instructions from the guy in this video who says to tighten each one up until the bridge lifts off the body, then loosen a 1/4 turn until it falls back to the body (this happens at 4:10 in the video).

I did this for each of the screws, and then cleaned the wax up real good with a toothpick.

bees wax, lining up the bridge with the body

IMG_0908.jpg IMG_0909.jpg

all screws are in, tighten them almost all of the way down

IMG_0911.jpg IMG_0913.jpg

finished bridge assembly

IMG_0915.jpg

5. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Tremolo Springs

I went ahead and installed three tremolo springs. Looks like the Callaham website recommends 4 springs. Anyone have an opinion? Five seems like what it would have come with in 1960...

3 tremolo springs, 5 tremolo springs

IMG_0919.jpg IMG_0921.jpg

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015

6. rls1952

rls1952 TDPRI Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Arlington, TX
    Opinion? Don't do the "Christmas tree" spring config. The tension is not equal across the trem block. Just place the springs straight. You can put more tension on one side by screwing the claw plate at an angle if you feel it's necessary. Or you can use 4 springs in an asymmetrical pattern.

There are lots of ideas, instructions and videos out there about setting up the trem. If you don't plan to use a floating trem, put 5 springs on and screw the claw plate down tight to "deck" the tremolo.

7. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Installing the Input Jack - Testing the Electronics

First I had to connect all of the ground wires to the back of the volume pot (sorry no pics, but pretty straightforward). I did this by first soldering all the grounds together, and then soldering them to the back of the volume pot. Next, I assembled the jack plate with the Switchcraft jack. Then, I tinned the two wires making sure not to burn my guitar with a bit of foil :D You just have to remember that the ground goes to the sleeve and the hot wire goes to the tip, otherwise just solder them on.

I then put one string on, and plugged it in, and works!

switchcraft jack and plate, installed jack plate

IMG_0922.jpg IMG_0924.jpg

installed jack plate bottom view, tinned wires ready to solder

IMG_0925.jpg IMG_0931.jpg

plugging it in and testing

IMG_0928.jpg

I think I am going to tape the pickguard and jack plate on, string it up, and play it for a while to see if there is anything that pops up...hum, buzz, truss rod adjustment, etc....it's really starting to come together!

8. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Update

It has been a week now, and I think everything is ready to be finished. I ran into a slight problem with the jack-cup. I noticed that when I lined it up and tried to plug in the cable, it was a tight fit...like it was hitting the wall of the jack cavity.

I soon realized that the input jack was installed upside-down. This was an easy fix, and I was glad I didn't have to enlarge the cavity.

Here is a picture of how I originally did it, and how I fixed it. Notice the change in tip connector placement. After repositioning the input jack the cable connected perfect, with no hang-ups.

original set up of jack cup, fixed...flipped around

IMG_0925.jpg IMG_0946.jpg

Here are a few pictures of how it's looking so far. More to come...

IMG_0941.jpg IMG_0942.jpg
    IMG_0944.jpg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015

9. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Van, you did a great job, very nice rendition of a classic. How's it play and sound?

10. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Wow! This has been a really neat (literally!) build thread.

Congrats on doing such an excellent job.

11. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Thanks Blue Bill, it sounds and plays great. It's amazing how well it intonates without any adjusting, and the string action seems just about perfect. Now I just have to attach the pickguard, jack-cup, strap buttons, spring cover, decal, etc...:D

12. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Thanks! More to come :D

Cheers!!

13. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Installing Pickguard To the Body

Before I started drilling, I decided to wax up all of my screws. Next, I taped the pickguard in place. I used a thumb tack to mark the center of each hole on the pickguard, and then drilled the pilot hole with the pin vice (marked depth of the screw on the bit using electrical tape). After each pilot hole was drilled, I simply screwed the screw in straight, and cleaned up any wax that surfaced. I just worked my way around until I was finished. I think I used a bit that was just a hair smaller than the shaft of my screws, so I think I got a really nice fit. The pin vice is an essential tool for putting these guitars together, there is no need for power tools :D

tools, marking center with tack

IMG_0966.jpg IMG_0969.jpg

drilling pilot hole with pin vice, pickguard screwed on the body

IMG_0970.jpg IMG_0978.jpg

14. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Installing the Jack Cup to the Body

This is the same process as the pickguard (i.e. thumb-tack, pin vice, screw, wax, etc...). I wanted to make sure the guitar cable issue was gone before drilling the pilot holes, and it was all set! :lol:

lining it up: checking the cable for a good fit, finished jack cup

IMG_0979.jpg IMG_0980.jpg

15. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden

Use custom decal. It becomes your own Strat model!:cool:

16. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Installing Strap Button Pt. 1

I'm sure there is a more accurate approach to putting on strap buttons, but in the end, it's pretty easy to just eye-ball it. I started out by taping a piece of thread in the middle of the nut, and ran that down the center and taped it at the end. Then, I just measured the center of the string at the end of the body and marked the center with a felt pin, used a tack to start my pilot hole, and then drilled the pilot hole with the pin vice. Last, I waxed the screw and screwed it in; I wanted to make sure not to tighten it too hard because I am not using any felt. I think it turned out pretty good!

string taped at nut, finding center

IMG_0982.jpg IMG_0981.jpg

marking pilot with a tack, drilling pilot

IMG_0985.jpg IMG_0987.jpg

finished strap button

IMG_0990.jpg

17. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Installing Strap Button Pt. 2

For some reason, this was one of the most nerve-racking jobs. It was the same process as the last one...measure center, mark with a tack, drill pilot, wax the screw, screw it in, etc.... For some reason I had visions of the finish cracking, or something bad happening... In the end, it turned out great, looks good!!

marking with the tack, drilling the pilot
    IMG_0992.jpg IMG_0994.jpg

finished strap button

IMG_0997.jpg IMG_1002.jpg

18. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Question ??

My bridge is flush with the body, as I do not want a floating setup.. My claw set up looks like the picture below, with 5 springs. If the bridge is flush, and all 5 springs are in, is it safe to say that I don't have to tighten the claw anymore, and that it's good to go? It seems like tightening the claw would make it harder to use the tremolo arm, but it may have other benefits that I'm unaware of...

Anyhow, does this look like an adequate setup for 5 springs and a decked bridge? It sounds fine to me, and the tremolo arm works fine... suggestions?

IMG_1006.jpg IMG_1007.jpg

19. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Installed Knobs and Switch Tip

This is easy, you just push them on. I made sure to have the 10 facing up, and more or less lined the 10 on the volume knob up with the bridge pickup screw.

installed knobs and switch

IMG_1019.jpg IMG_1020.jpg

20. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Almost Finished

Here are a few pics. I cleaned it up a bit, and did most of the set up. There is a ton of stuff on the web about Stratocaster set up. First, I set it up to Fender specs http://www2.fender.com/support/articles/stratocaster-setup-guide/ in regard to pickup height and string height, seems pretty close to perfect. Then, I did the intonation, which was a breeze, especially with the Turbo Tuner. All in all, it sounds fantastic...still wondering if I should screw the claw down more, almost seems like I don't need to...any ideas:?:

pictures

IMG_1035.jpg IMG_1025.jpg

IMG_1026.jpg IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

All that's left is the spring cover, string tree, and decal....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.