Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Second build - birthday gift

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Mbechmann, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    Today it is my brothers birthday, so I can finally show what I have been building since the challenge build.

He has an old Johnny Guitar SG made by Teisco around 1968. That SG is getting close of a complete restoration. So that SG was the inspiration point for this one.

The specs are:
    1 Lipstick single coil pickup + 1 dual Humbucker + 1 single coil neck. All Alnico.
    The body is made out of a single piece mahogany with a flamed maple top. My brother always wanted a Bigsby, so that was a no brainer. The neck is made out of mahogany window frames with birds eye maple veneer in between. The fingerboard is out of birds eye maple. My brother also always like gold electronics, so thats what I got him :)

We do need a little bit of HELP. The saddle kept touching the strings so they broke. I files a little bit down, but it still breaks 2 of thestrings, but this time from the Floyd Rose knot. What am I doing wrong?

The first picture is the Johnny Guitar.

Attached Files:

2. Mbechmann

Jan 18, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    Close up pics of the 2 places it breaks the strings + my brother when he got it :lol:

It is the D and high E string that keeps breaking

Attached Files:

3. Mbechmann

Jan 18, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    I think I found out what the problem is. 2 problems actually. I needed a roller and the 2 screws holding the Floyd Rose saddle in place were apparently too big. They were touching the strings. I just put 2 smaller screws in place but I am looking for a new Les Paul thing before trying it again.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Mbechmann

Jan 18, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    A test video. My brother loves it, and after figuring out the bridge issue, it works great. The amp is a small 10watt Peavey amp but it was all we had at our parents house :)

6. Mightyaxeman

Mightyaxeman Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Nice job and a nice gift!

7. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    Very nice ! Do you have any plans for the old pickups from the Johnny Guitar?

8. slippin slider

slippin slider Tele-Afflicted

Jul 30, 2013
    California
    Nice work the second guitar remindes me of a burns bison

9. Mightyaxeman

Mightyaxeman Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I'm thinking the angle of the strings coming off the bridge and going under the bigsby might be to much. You could try raising the bigsby or moving it away from the bridge. You could also try straightening the line of the string coming over the bridge and on to the bigsby.

10. Mbechmann

Jan 18, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    Well the Johnny Guitar is still original, and at some point it will be restored. So the pickups are not going anywhere :) They are sweet though :) Original Teisco Gold

Had to google it, and you are right. Very similar

Actually it was the bridge itself that was the problem. I needed a bridge with rollers. The angle was a bit high, but when the bridge was changed to a roller one, it stopped breaking from there. Then they broke from the Floyd nut. The screws were touching the strings there. The screws were change to some smaller ones, and that solved it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.