Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

SDrum pedal review (and jamman)

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Papapotrero, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Papapotrero

Papapotrero TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2017
    Wayne, Pa
    This is such an amazing pedal, I had to take a moment to post a quick review. The sdrum is incredibly easy to use, yet still has tons of options. But most importantly, the ability to add a fill or change to a differrent pattern without having to time the stomp is incredible. While jamsync was new to me, maybe not to others around here, I've found it to be an amazing solution to a big problem I was having. Playing along with a backing drum track, or even a this new drum pedal, I just can't ever get the looper timed perfectly. It can be pretty close, but after 12 or 15 bars it wanders off. I trade it in for a jamman looper so I can use it with the sdrum...and it is perfect. Just perfect. And both pedals allow you to clear a loop or drum pattern SILENTLY which is a huge benefit. I get the feeling that these Harman and digitech folks just really pay attention to important details when designing this stuff because both pedals solved all kinds of problems I was having instantly. Great job, guys!

2. doolbon

doolbon TDPRI Member

Sep 21, 2014
    california
    I agree. Having a lot of fun with mine as well. The jam sync is brilliant.

3. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Yep, this drum machine and a truly synced, true stereo looper is direction I had been hoping they would move in. When I play in stereo or wet/dry I want my loops to play back in exactly that mode, there are times I'll loop and then add extra effects after loop but that's another scenario.

If I'm playing wet/dry through 2 amps I want Loop to come in exactly like I'm playing it, dry left, dry+delay/reverb right, not some watered down mono version of it.

Trio was a big fail for me simply because of this shortcoming.

4. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

May 2, 2017
    Tulsa, OK
    I just got the SDRUM, and it's just what I need for practice and home demos. I'd much rather scratch in my own pattern than be locked into a preset beat. The extension footswitch brings extra options like throwing in a fill. It can be a little fussy with interpreting the strum input; it sometimes wants to hear my kick strum as a snare trigger. But if you're careful about your palm muting, you can get good accuracy.

My own take is that if you wanted a drum pedal for practice, writing and demos, the SDRUM is the ticket, while if you're more focused on live performance, something like the Beat Buddy might be more convenient.

Papapotrero likes this.

5. Papapotrero

Aug 3, 2017
    Wayne, Pa
    Agreed on strumming (no beat buddy experience). Sometimes everything sounds “treble”’to the sdrum. But such a minor issue. I just get down on my knees and use the finger pads when that happens. To your point, probably not perfect in a live setting. But admittedly, I basically get my sdrum banks exactly where I want them before I would ever engage them anyway.

6. redknives

redknives NEW MEMBER!

Nov 17, 2006
    Spokane, WA
    How does the functionality of the SDRUM pedal differ from the Trio pedals? Is is more of a dedicated drum pedal with a better interface and interaction with the player?

7. Papapotrero

Aug 3, 2017
    Wayne, Pa
    Haven’t used trio, but I think it is more of a band in a box. Takes your lick or phrase and automatically generates drums and baseline. Sdrum is much more of a drum machine. You strum or tap out what you want the drums to sound like and can tweak tempo, several drum parts, and all kinds of drum sounds. Most importantly, it knows when a measure ends, so you can stomp in anticipation of the next part and don’t have to get the timing exactly right.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.