Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

SDOTD - Alesis VX49 Controller - Anyone have one?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Chud, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    We've apparently gotten through another wave of G&L's, ukuleles, and music stands and gotten to something new. Well, I think I've seen it on the SDOTD before, but I wasn't thinking about getting a controller at that time.

Does anyone have one of these or have experience with one? It's got some pretty slick features for VST management and use that almost seem too good to pass up for $150.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid?icid=211567

mf-vx49.png

I have one in the cart right now, trying to keep my hand off the check out button.

24 track likes this.

2. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I dont have one of these , but it looks like it is pretty kick a$$. I will have to do some reading on it!

If you get it congrats!.......
    let me know how it performs If /When you get it.

Chud likes this.

3. mtjo62

mtjo62 Tele-Holic

Jul 17, 2008
    StatesVegas, NC
    Thanks for the heads up. Can't beat the price. Go ahead Chud, I ordered mine. Heck, just a good quality key controller w/o pads is going to be $100+.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    Chud likes this.

4. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Yeah, I bought one. Lol. Hard to beat at that price. Heck, I sold an old M-Audio 49 key controller for $100 a few years ago that I could never get the pads set up on right.

If I'm understanding it correctly, this should alleviate or at least minimize DAW processor burden when using synth plug ins as the Alesis loads them into its own program outside of the DAW or maybe into its own hardware architecture. Not sure which, but I don't see mention of substantial internal memory in what I've read about it so far, so I assume it is loading them externally.

I should have it by the weekend and will start playing around with it. I'll post up some thoughts on it once I get through a bit of the learning curve.

24 track likes this.

5. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    there are a few goodies that load out side the daw and it saves processing , this seems like a cool toy , I want one!

Chud likes this.

6. mtjo62

mtjo62 Tele-Holic

Jul 17, 2008
    StatesVegas, NC
    I've got an Akai pad controller as well as an older Samson key controller, but the Samson has pretty piss poor velocity control and I have been wanting a good key controller with pads. Its only redeeming quality is that is came bundled with a lot of Komplete software. I am looking forward to using this.

Chud likes this.

7. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I have a soft spot for midi controllers.....this is no where near all of them!

P1011811.JPG

Chud likes this.

8. mtjo62

mtjo62 Tele-Holic

Jul 17, 2008
    StatesVegas, NC
    Dang dude, nice rig. How does that abacus sound?

24 track likes this.

9. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Thank you,
    the abacus and the slide rule the leather case on a diagonal are my early collection of computers that I have, high efficency low-tech! , and easy on batteries!

10. mtjo62

mtjo62 Tele-Holic

Jul 17, 2008
    StatesVegas, NC
    Haven't had a chance to really dig into the keyboard yet, so no review. However, I was worried about damaging it taking it back and forth to the project studio, so I opted for a gig bag. You have to use a 61 key version because the VX49 is too big for a standard 49 key bag. I just ordered a Roadrunner 61 key padded bag for $29 from MF with the promo code "spooky".

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.