Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Sd mini humbucker

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by rrash, Oct 10, 2013.

1. rrash

rrash TDPRI Member

Nov 1, 2007
    I have decided I would like to drop a sd minihumbucker into the neck pickup position. I have been researching wiring information etc. Is there anyplace I could find information regarding wiring diagrams out there? Should I keep the same stock pots? I am a novice to this.
  2. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2010
    The Seymour Duncan website has some great wiring diagrams, and the other master circuit designer is phostenix. All you have to do though is run the the lead to the switch where the old wire went, and run the metal mesh to the back of the volume pot.

Whether you need a new bridge pickup really depends on what mini humbucker you ordered and what bridge pickup you already have, not to mention personal taste. Chances are though, that you can get the balance pretty close by fiddling with pickup height.
  3. loversmoon69

loversmoon69 Tele-Meister

Aug 31, 2013
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2003
    If the mini is a 4-wire pickup, the above diagram is absolutely correct.

If it is a shielded wire with a single center conductor, the center conductor goes to the switch and the shield (ground) goes to the pot ground.

If your bridge pickup is a Fender brand, you will likely have a polarity problem and you will have to revise the 4-wire diagram to put the green to hot and the black/bare to the pot ground. If you have a Fender brand bridge pickup and a shielded single wire bucker, you will have to float the ground on the bridge pickup, reverse the hot and ground wires.

I would try the stock pots (assuming you have 250k) and if the neck pickup is too dull, switch to 500k (tone first, then vol if it's still too dull) or go with a no-load tone pot.

What is your bridge pickup? You should be able to get a decent balance playing with pickup heights, but if not, check back for more recommendations.

Good luck,
  6. rrash

rrash TDPRI Member

Nov 1, 2007
    My bridge pickup is a oc duff vintage but I also have a sd jerry donahoue that I was thinking of putting in the bridge.
  7. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Meister

Dec 18, 2011
    I recently put a 1970 Gibson mini-humbucker in the neck and a SD vintage stack in the bridge of my tele. I first tried the 375K alpha pots like Fender puts in the Hot Rod Tele. I did not realize that the Hot Red Tele actually has a Gibson Firebird style pickup in the neck. For me, the 375K pots were not right for the mini-humbucker. They did not let all of the pickup through. I then put in 500K CTS audio taper, and that works. There are times when I back the treble off when I am using the bridge pickup, but not always. I would rather have a 500K in both positions, even if I have to back off the treble on the bridge tone control. The mini in the neck makes the guitar very versatile. And the middle position has a great clucky sound.

SPUDCASTER Friend of Leo's

Sep 7, 2010
    whitebird, idaho
    Either bridge pickup should work with what you want to do. The JD (being a SD) might be more compatible wiring wise.

I have an O.C. Duff neck pickup with a JD bridge and don't recall having any problems.

Here's what one of our members did with a Klein Minibucker and a Fret Tech Cavalier Lion.

500k pots and a resistor to make the bridge pickup to see a 250k pot.
  9. loversmoon69

loversmoon69 Tele-Meister

Aug 31, 2013
    i always loved that vid. didnt realize they were a member here. awesome. love the tone.
  10. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Apr 12, 2012
    Mechanicsville, VA
    I have a Duncan SM-1 in the guitar on the right and a Kent Armstrong Firebird pickup in one on the left. I hope to have a video demo to compare the two sometime this week.

11. radio

radio Tele-Meister

Apr 6, 2008
    New Haven area, CT
    Can't wait!
  12. mildmannered

mildmannered TDPRI Member

Nov 6, 2014
    to totally dig up a dead thread...... tell me more about this resistor to trick the bridge pup move you speak of....

I just pulled the SD SM-1 and the 375's out a tele i had because it gave the bridge too much and the neck not enough. I would love for them both to have what they need to sound RIGHT.....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.