Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

SD alnico 2 neck, SD Antiquity Tele bridge, will this pickup combo work ??

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Lorozco40, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Lorozco40

Lorozco40 TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2017
    dallas tx
    I am building a telecaster and want to know if the the combo of SD alnico 2 neck, Antiquity Tele bridge
    will work, will i encounter any phase issues, anybody tried this combo for a telecaster ? why has nobody tried this combination ? both of these pickups are supposedly fantastic, why not try them together ?

2. Lorozco40

Lorozco40 TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2017
    dallas tx
    I seriously think nobody has tried this, I have asked this question on a bunch of forums and have yet to get an answer. somebody help

3. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire

Hard to believe that no one has ever tried it.

I have a friend that swears by the Antiquity bridge.

Never tried it, but the Alnico II neck probably sounds okay. I might opt for the 5/2 instead.

The 5/2 might have a little tighter bottom end with the A5's. JMO

By the way, welcome to the forum.

4. deadicated

deadicated Tele-Holic

Aug 1, 2011
    Baltimore
    The A2P is a great pickup in my book. Either by themselves or as a set. I've never really heard anyone complain about the antiquities. Wouldn't expect any phase issues being there both Duncan's. They have a pretty good forum. Sure someone's tried it over there.

5. Lorozco40

Lorozco40 TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2017
    dallas tx
    I would have thought so too, but i have seriously scoured the SD forum and nobody has done this,
    which is really strange because these are 2 very popular tele pickups, and yet i have yet to hear of this combo. regardless im gonna do it so i guess ill test the waters, im also gonna do a 4 way switch so i can let everbody know how they sound in series

6. mrgp52tele

mrgp52tele Tele-Meister

The SD Alnico II neck pickup will not be as powerful and loud, wasn't a great pickup, to me. I sold mine and replaced it with a Dimarzio Twang King with a nickel cover, sounds great.

7. Lorozco40

Lorozco40 TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2017
    dallas tx
    Im looking for a neck pickup that i can play jazz with tho
    so i think something more mellow would work better, i want twang in the bridge thats why im going with the antiquity
    since youve tried the a2p what do you think ? jazz suitable

8. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    Seymour Duncan uses brass covers for the Tele neck covers, I'd avoid all of them, and opt for DiMarzio, Fender or Tonerider, all of whom use nickel silver Tele covers.

awasson and SnidelyWhiplash like this.

9. mrgp52tele

mrgp52tele Tele-Meister

Twang King is just the name Dimarzio uses, it does have too much twang. It is a great neck pickup, one of the best made. The $50 price tag is just an added plus. Ask some other members, you'll see

10. mrgp52tele

mrgp52tele Tele-Meister

Check them out on you Tube

11. mrgp52tele

mrgp52tele Tele-Meister

To me, the SDA2 was weak, muddy, lacked any definition. iF you want a single coil for jazz, try a quarter pounder. You may have to lower it flush with your pickguard, but it will do jazz fine.

12. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2008
    SEA
    It is jazz suitable. Mellow and smooth to some could be muddy and lacked definition to other. In jazz, someone would choose mellow pickup and other would pick very clear one and mellow it down. Different approach. Let your ears decide.

13. PigBoy

PigBoy Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    I've been running that set for almost 20 years, ( the Antiquity is a 55) sound great together.

14. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Tele-Afflicted

Jun 18, 2009
    Hogtown,KY.
    Amen! I had an Ant II set & the neck pickup was unusable due to the very dark sound.
    Loved the bridge pickup,though. :cool:

15. Sunburster

Sunburster TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Maplewood, MN
    Deleted

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017

16. Sunburster

Sunburster TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Maplewood, MN

17. Shiner51

Shiner51 TDPRI Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Arkansas
    Hi, I just saw this post and wanted to reply. I recently had the setup you described in a Road Worn Tele that has become my experimental rig. The combination works great in my opinion, and I would also recommend the Jerry Donahue bridge pickup with the alnico 2 neck. Both balance well together in the middle position. I have two alnico 2 pickups .....one is 30 years old and does not have a cover. It is amazing and would be great for jazz and blues. It a woody, spongy tone and is the clearest sounding neck pickup I have ever owned. I have always had issues with neck pickups sounding muddy but this one is the exception. My other alnico 2 has the cover and is not quite as clear sounding but is still very nice. You might want to custom order one without the cover, they can send it with the cover detached if you want to add it later. I recently put a set of G&L mfd pickups in this guitar but am not bonding with them and am going back with the alnico 2 in the neck and probably the Donahue in the bridge. Both bridge pickups twang but the Donahue sounds to me like it has more mids and would be better suited for rock. The Dimarzio Twang King neck is also a good choice if you are looking for a clear sounding neck pickup. All of the above are lower output pickups compared most, but my 40 watt amp and pedalboard makes up for any loss in volume.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.