SCXD effects goes to 10

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by swampyankee, May 13, 2019.

1. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Ive been using my SCXD at practice fot s couple months and a couple times the effects just goes to 10. No matter where the knob is. I've fiddled with it, shut the effects off and on, shut the amp off and back on. Nothing seems to help, but then just as randomly, it goes back to normal.
    Per the previous post, I fixed a damaged foot switch on my SCXD. I was hoping to might cure the problem, but nope, the effects were stuck on max. I played it for awhile and just as I thought I would shut it down and pull the chassis, it went back to normal.

Any idea where I would look to troubleshoot and fix this problem?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

There's a digital board in them (the smaller board of the two bigger ones). It controls most everything, even the tone pots. They can be problematic for sure. Not much help here for you though.

3. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I think those are probably "plug and play and toss" (i.e. "No User Serviceable Parts")...

Wally likes this.
  4. markp73

markp73 TDPRI Member

I had this problem with an XD.
    The pots for the amp models and effects aren’t actual potentiometers but little encoders.
    When they get dirty they don’t crackle they just occasionally output the wrong code.
    I found occasionally giving them a good spin back and forth through their range kept the issue from reoccurring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. swampyankee

Unfortunately, I agree with you there.

I bought the amp cheap because someone had bashed the effects selector pot. I soldered in a new one and all has been well, but I did recognize the throwaway nature of these amps.

However, a friend of mine has been gigging with one for years now, trouble free.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

6. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Yeah - as long as they work, they are fantastic! Such is the modern world. We live in a disposable world...

7. swampyankee

According to the schematic, the FX level pot is a B50kB potentiometer, like volume, and tone controls. I'm just a solder-dog, but the least I can do is to test the pot to see if it's offering variable resistance.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.