Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Scratchy saddle screws

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by The Fool, May 11, 2018.

1. The Fool

The Fool NEW MEMBER!

Mar 26, 2017
    UK
    I play with my had on the bridge saddles and the screws for saddle adjustment scratch my hand. Its a modern 6 string standard set of saddles. I have had this on a Strat as well.

I dont want to put a cover over the bridge as it will stop me muting. I don't want to have to polish the screws. Maybe i need to hust shorten the screws so the heads are below the saddles?

Has anyone found a neat solution to this-i dont mind replacing the screws?

2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Cut off the exposed screws or put an ash tray cover over the bridge.

3. teleaddicted

teleaddicted Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Nov 5, 2013
    Roma Urbe
    Shortening the screws is my way to go unless I can find different height replacement screws.
    No big deal on block metal saddles, but on bent steel saddles I have to carefully measure with a caliper how much of the screw I have to grind off and this has to be done after the guitar has been setup.
    In finding replacements screws to work on (I keep the originals apart) I'd be careful to get the right type: chinese knockoffs are metric and usually 10mm long, american vintage are imperial.

Deeve and Milspec like this.
  4. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Count how many threads are sticking out the top and cut that many off the bottom.

5. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    Good tips all.
    One more - a light dressing along the top of the screw, burnishing the final exposed thread (making it not-sharp)

Still gotta do this to the sdotd tribute bluesboy I picked up last fall - it's probably the only "mod" I feel like doing to that guitar.
    Peace - Deeve

6. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    I had this problem on a 68 - had a Luthier cut the individual height screws for me as he had the equipment and skill to do it properly while I waited.

Tried sanding the top of each screw before that but it isn't a good solution - cutting was way better.

7. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

Local hardware store.

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I keep Allen screws of different lengths. But...removing height from the bottom of the screw works, too.

9. The Fool

The Fool NEW MEMBER!

Mar 26, 2017
    UK
    Thanks to all for the replies. I went the route of least messing around and found screws of different lengths on ebay. Hardware stores in the Uk dont stock things like these any more.

Having fitted stainless steel screws i am sure the sound different to the originals-but better. But it could be that i now have the heights set right and thats doing it- a whole other thread...........

10. jlagrassa

jlagrassa TDPRI Member

Mar 5, 2018
    USA
  11. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    So it appears that these saddles have two threaded retaining points for the screws as opposed to only one in the vintage style Fender saddles. Interesting....I would like to try some of those out.

12. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Sep 13, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    And if it hasn't been made clear just yet, you want to grind the height off the *bottom* of the screw so you don't mess up the hex head adjustment on the top.

13. jlagrassa

jlagrassa TDPRI Member

Mar 5, 2018
    USA
    Yep the top and bottom are both threaded, with the saddle bottomed out the screw is still not sticking out... highly recommend trying these it's so much better than trying to find the right set screws (which I was about to do my self)

14. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    Have a look around your area for a firm that sells industrial fasteners, there's bound to be one around somewhere and they can usually help.

15. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2014
    Western Australia
    Had a similar problem on a 6 saddle bridge which was solved by snipping off the bottom of the screws and filing them flat....but at the cost of my FastCap fret cutters which blew out on the last one. Still haven't found the shrapnel.....

IMG_9309.jpg

coloradojeff likes this.
  16. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

Feb 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Gently file down the offending scratchers.... TIP. Cover your pickups with a piece of masking tape before filing and then vacuum with a brush attachment when done (before removing tape)...keeps metal filings off the pickups.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.