Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Scraptasticaster I: The Rev

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jupiter, Jan 26, 2013.

1. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Wouldn't that be horizontal coils? Like, the axis of the coil is parallel to the tube's axis--?

How about just winding wire around the central magnet cylinder until it is almost the ID of the tube? Put some Scotch tape around it like they did on the originals. It might sound. . . . . . .unique. . . . . . .:confused:

2. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Cue the tap dance music. . . . . . .da-da-da-da-da-da-da "Tea da-da-for-two-da-da-and two da-da for tea. . . "

I suppose I could chronicle the replacement of the catastrophically failed bearing in my table saw to fill the time. . . but that's a bit off topic. . .

3. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Some lipstick covers arrived in the mail today but not the full Chinese Montys. When stuff arrives from North Carolina quicker than SoCal when ordered on the same day, something is off.

Anyway, I actually have some shop time scheduled for this Saturday morning. Will wonders ever cease? Could be a big day or a small day, we will see! There's still those Kay Speedbumps to rewind and the Silvertone 1420 to sort out (which sounds incredible by the way) and the 2 pound roll of Israeli 44AWG that just arrived from Chris. Maybe we'll do the Lipbuckers in 44AWG..... Hmmmmmmm
    Rob

4. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Hey Rob, I think I have a fairly clear idea why a single coil offa a HB would sound not so good, but how about the other way 'round? I mean, suppose you had 2 vintage (that is to say, sorta underwound) strat (or lipstick tube) pickups, and you slapped 'em together and wired 'em in series (and supposing you had your polarities and wind directions sorted out): Could one get a nice HB tone out of that? If not, why not?

That is (or might be) the most parentheses I've ever crammed into one sentence....

5. Barncaster

Hey Jup,
    It would totally work with the caveats you mentioned. Remember however, a single classic PAF bobbin held about 5000 winds and metered about 4k. Serially wiring low wind Strat pups will give you a humbucker in the 11k range. Might sound good, might not. It's all a grand experiment Jup! Go for it!
    Rob

6. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Not me. (I've been accused of being the Parenthetical Kid) (Seriously) (I'm not kidding!)

What if you used some 38 gauge, slightly underwound as you said, to get the DC resistance closer to the level of PAF's coils, You'd lower the resistance per ft. of wire with the bigger wire gauge, which would allow you to keep your wind per coil count up somewhat, and keep values closer to comparable with the classic HB's.

7. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    These EY lippies are 4.5K for the bridge and 4K for the neck and middle....

[​IMG]

Hmm....

8. Barncaster

Interesting. Would you stack them or put them side by side?

9. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Side by side, I reckon. Maximum bling factor. Another plus, compared to just buying the GFS double lippy HB is that I could slant 'em...

10. Barncaster

Dano made side by side buckers on the more recent stuff.

11. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I think if you're going with labials, you should go big:

[​IMG]

12. Barncaster

13. Barncaster

Hey Yup,

After several aborted concepts I think I have a magnetic core that could allow the humbucking lipstick to actually work. BUWAHAHA, BUWAHAHA!

image-378179372.jpg

Only the final build-out will tell. It's all a grand experiment! And yes, it will have vertical windings and maybe Israeli 44AWG from Chris. I'm a bit on the fence about the 44AWG as it is heavy build and as much real estate must be conserved as possible. I'll mic the OD tomorrow. I don't think I have enough 45AWG on hand so the 44 may be it. Tomorrow could be the big night! :)
    Rob

14. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Oho! 'cept a guitar wouldn't have the necessary space between the strings....

15. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I always thought (well, not always, 'cuz I've only even started thinking about this recently) that the magnets needed to be oriented with one pole or the other pointed towards the strings, so it will fry my brain and slam home that I still don't understand anything about pickups if this design works. :lol:

16. Barncaster

Hey Jup,

What you are looking at there is an evolution of the original concept. What we have is a 2.5" A5 magnet cut down the middle and ground to size and the two pieces fully charged. They are put together with their poles opposite so the strings will have both north and south poles facing them. The windings will be reversed directionally on each side. From a physics standpoint will common mode noise cancellation still occur? Maybe. Mojo might be able to weigh in on this. Might work, might not! :)

As far as the pole ends facing the strings, I did an experiment by moving a pup connected directly to an amp towards a guitar whose strings were vibrating. The pup still works sideways because the magnetic field of the pup extends around it to a certain degree. It all depends on the design. It definitely was loudest however with its pole ends directly over and facing the strings.

Rob

17. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    So, speaking theoretically, what are we gaining by winding this way, over a stacked coil? Is it basically that we can fill the space more completely with wire? I wonder if there's another way to hack the flatwork so that it can fill the tube more completely.

I need to order myself that EY set so I can look inside for myself....

18. Barncaster

Hey Jup,
    I did it this way to work within the very limited space of the lipstick tube. A traditional stack could be done with a humbucker bar and custom flatwork. Because of the tube shape it would have kind of a diamond profile from the side and waste some space. The upside is the magnet would be closer to the cover and therefore strings. The lipstick tube can actually accommodate a longer magnet/ coil. If I can't get enough wraps on this I'll source some longer A5 bass bars from Mojotone and try that. It's all a grand experiment! :)
    Rob

19. Barncaster

Oh, And by the way, this is what was inside of the units I got. It's the second from right. It looks like a longer Firebird bobbin but with very shallow winding lands. A regular Firebird bobbin is on the right. Funny thing is is that a standard Firebird bobbin fits in there with deeper winding lands. I'm thinking for a traditional single coil, section two Firebird bobbins and a use a long bass Alnico bar and you could have quite the Lipstick single coil. Rob image-3757345956.jpg

20. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Sounds like a plan! ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.