Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Scraptasticaster I: The Rev

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jupiter, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

I bet we could come up with some interesting lipstick stuff! There has been Jup talk of a lipstick bucker. I am having unclean thoughts on the subject as we speak! ;-) Remember folks, when parts get scarce, turn to the used market. A little of the previous owners' mojo will do the trick! I'm off to eBay now for some used lipsticks to experiment with!
    Rob

2. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Seems I've seen some real cheap Chinese knock offs on fleabay that would make good, if unwilling, organ donors to the cause, too. . . .

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I'm seeing A5 bars, 2.3"x.5"x.125" at the place where I got my polepieces last time; is that in the ballpark for size?? They're over 9 bucks a piece....

4. Barncaster

Hey Rick,
    Yup, the infamous F90! Firebird bobbins just fit in a P90 cover on either side of the screws. Stock 4200 ish each on the neck bobbins and about 1000 more on the bridge bobbins w/ 42AWG single build. I'll have to dig up pictures. They are in the winder thread somewhere.
    Rob

5. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan

6. Barncaster

Hey Jup,
    I found two Chinese versions in California last night for a good price. They had the Danelectro mounts which I need as I'll be using my Dano as a mule. It has SD lipsticks in it now which sound really good but like Rick said, are a little on the Casper/ milk toast end of the he-man pup spectrum. I had a humbucker idea last night that would fit in the stock housing. Please stand by. :)
    Rob

7. 10orgtr

10orgtr Tele-Meister

May 3, 2011
    western PA
    If my memory serves me right (always an iffy proposition) GFS sells lipstick tube humbuckers.
    Cheers,
    Woody

8. Barncaster

Hey Woody,
    Yes they do but they are two lipsticks side by side. I want to do it in one housing. This will be fun or a complete failure. It's all a grand experiment!
    Rob

9. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    I have an ancient Duncan tube humbucker that clipsvin the soundholevof my acoustic- with a volume pot on the bass end. Always liked it..

10. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    D'oh! I remember them well--now. :rolleyes: Don't bother digging out photos, I'll go find them. The idea just intrigued me, and like I suspected, you "already been there, done that". In the interests of not driving Jupe's thread any further off the track, I'll refrain from 90-bucker pickups, and stick to lippers.

11. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

Now this, I gotta see!:eek:

12. 10orgtr

10orgtr Tele-Meister

May 3, 2011
    western PA
    Now that's an interesting concept Rob!
    Cheers,
    Woody

13. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Great Job Jup! There's too many nice features to list them all. I really like your guitar!

14. Barncaster

Just waiting in lipstick parts Jup...... Tap, tap, tap...

15. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Tap, tap, tap...

How about a hint or two?

16. Barncaster

Hey Jup,
    Still waiting on parts but the general idea is this.
    Cut three heavy paper discs with ODs close to the ID of a lipstick tube and punch .187 holes in the middle.
    Cut a small notch on the OD of them ;-)
    Glue them on a .187 Alnico rod cut to about 2.5" long. One on each end and one in the middle. Leave some space on each end so it can be chucked on a drill press.
    Wind the puppy like a stack on the drill press or a screw gun.
    Change winding directions on the two coils like a stack with the continuous wire going through the middle slot.
    Cut some mild steel sheet on a thin strip say 1/8" wide, 2.5" long with one little tab bent 90 degrees to contact one of the pole ends and run it along the top or bottom or side of the wound assembly to present the magnetic field somewhat traditionally to the strings.
    Might work, might not. It's all a grand experiment! BUWAHAHA!
    Rob

17. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Vertical coils? You crazy, man! :lol:

My first idea is much cruder: hack the tube. Cut a slot in the bottom that will allow a taller bobbin and do a stacked HB. You'd also have to hack the mounts, I guess, but with a nice deep route, with a nice tight-fitting hole in the PG, nobody'd be the wiser.

Where are you ordering the parts from??

18. Barncaster

EBay cheap Chinese pups will be the donor shells. All the guts will be hand made. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.