Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Scraptasticaster I: The Rev

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jupiter, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Hey Jup,
    It looks great! Judging from your description of the bucker, it may be loaded with an Alnico 5 magnet. If you want to fatten up the bridge tone you can swap in an Alnico 2 with maybe some outboard thin booster magnets! :) Remember, P90s have 2 magnet bars in them. That's lots of winds and lots of magnet. Gives P90s that glorious ballsy tone! You can play with the pickup heights as well for balance. Can't wait to see and hear the video!
    Rob

2. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 19, 2011
    Portland, Maine
    Fano!
    I knew the head stock reminded me of something - your take is a little more sophisticated. Pretty good company to be in though.

3. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Outboard Booster Magnets. Hot Damn! Now we're talkin!

"Engage Outboard Booster Magnets"
    "But Captain, She'll take-a no more"
    "Damn your timidity, man, I said ENGAGE THE OUTBOARD BOOSTER MAGNETS !!!"

Joop, she looks marvelous. Just a thought from my fevered mind--what do you suppose a P-90 bucker would sound like? Now--I KNOW what it would LOOK like, but I'm just thinkin' out loud here--one mag between the coils, N on one side of one coil, S on the other side of the other coil.

Just dreamin. Outboard Booster Magnets got me all excited.

4. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Well, I'm thinking of building Ming the Merciless' Machine of Mayhem.

5. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Oakland Raiders colors! :lol:

:oops:

6. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Thaks for the positive comments, everybody! This was kind of a strange build: it started out as just practice for aspects of the Challenge Build a year and a half ago, then, I got really focused on it and almost finished in February, then the Challenge knocked it completely into the shadows for two months, and now my Challenge Build has just been hanging on the wall for a month.

Can I say, just between us, I feel like I have too many guitars now. :eek: SHH! Honestly, if you look around and can't decide which guitar to pick up, you have too many, right?

I'm gonna sell my CIJ tele, and probably my Yamaha Studio Lord. Gotta make room for Ming the Merciless and my take on an LPJr DC. :cool:

Yep, A5. I have the P-90 lowered a little bit, and it balances okay now. I might still wind myself a little sumthin in the Fall, but I'm pretty happy with the chiminess of this one.

Yeah, he does that bi-level headstock thing, doesn't he? I think I got the idea from those old Fender Starcasters. Maybe he did, too....

[​IMG]

I...don't get it. :lol: You mean a stacked one? Sounds like you got something more complicated in mind.... Hard for me to imagine anything that a P-90 needs. :cool:

Winding-wise, I got these lipstick-tube humbuckers bonking around in my mind these days, and I'm sort of interested in goofing around with rail-types, because it's always seemed to me that polepieces cause unnecessary stress about string spacing. Might be fun to mess around with wider single coils, and/or narrower humbuckers. :idea: Somebody else's gonna have to take up the P-90 bucker. ;)

7. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    Wow, looks great, Jup!

8. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan

9. Model T

Model T Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2013
    NY
    She's a looker, no doubt.

10. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    No, not a stacked one, but a bucker guaranteed to sound good when the coils are split, because it's really a side-by-side P-90! :eek:

That should fit the bill for "wider single coil"

Let's see if Rob can advise us on how one would go about building a side by side P-90 bucker. Sucker is gonna be Wiiiiiide, though!

And, yeah, I have seen stranger.

BTW, does anyone else remember this great looking axe started out as firewood?

11. kissTheApex

kissTheApex Tele-Afflicted

Jul 4, 2013
    Silver Spring, MD
    Blasphemy! it only means you need a bigger music room and a per guitar schedule :D

12. budgetbuild

budgetbuild Tele-Meister

Aug 28, 2010
    virginia
    Hmmm, Ming the Merciless' Machine of Mayhem, make it so maestro !

13. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I'm kicking some ideas around for it. It's going to need some steel or aluminum bits on it, but I don't know much about machining that stuff yet....

14. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Operative word being "yet" !

The die is cast, Jupe. Bring on the Mighty Ming.

Maybe by the time you get it built, I'll figure out how to do some P-90 Buckers for it.

15. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Thanks man, but it gotsta have the lipsticks.... We gotta figure out what kinda lipstick things, but anyway, lipstick things. :cool: I need to research me some alnico bar magnets. BTW, anybody know where I can get lipstick tube pickup parts? Guitar Parts USA is out of stock....

16. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Tell your wife to start saving her old lipstick tubes for you--that's what Dano used at first, buy some bar magnets, and a couple of rolls of scotch tape, add magnet wire, and you got a lippy.

I know it's heresy, but I never cared much for them. Thin and gutless sounding to me. Perhaps Ming will force me to change my views. . . .

17. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

P90 buckers are easy. I use Firebird bobbins, A5 magnets cut to length all mounted on custom base plates. Very tasty!
    Rob

18. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I don't even know if I like 'em or not; I've never personally played a guitar with lippies. Maybe I need to find a way to get more winds? I'm thinking at least to make a HB for the bridge, but haven't decided to go up or sideways. Maybe even something that's completely different inside, but I need those chrome tubes. :lol:

19. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Same wire gauge, wind count, DC resistance, in side-by-side configuration ?

I shoulda knowed you would have already met the challenge and moved on. Got any pix of 'em? I was thinking they'd be clownishly wide, and maybe sound good, but look to funny to be practical.

20. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Except for end caps, readily-available aluminum tubes, could be polished up almost as bright as the chrome ones, but I wonder how they'd sound. Surely the ferrous tube has effect on the sound of conventional ones.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.