Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Schrödinger's Cat Escapes?!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JayFreddy, Oct 3, 2017.

1. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    And there we have it. My suspicions were correct.

notmyusualuserid likes this.

2. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    You are a master of deductive reasoning...

old wrench likes this.

3. edvard

edvard Tele-Holic

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    You won't know until you look. That's the crux of the game.

JayFreddy likes this.

4. JayFreddy

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    Fwiw, I was discussing physics... Too.

old wrench likes this.

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    They've gone so crazy over there I turned it on briefly yesterday, and I quickly turned off my phone just in case they might try to follow me back home.

JayFreddy likes this.

6. edvard

edvard Tele-Holic

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    Terence McKenna's name was mentioned. He wouldn't have called it "weird" he would have called it "novel". If I recall correctly, his theory was that 'novelty' increases around the time of a paradigm shift, so we may be in for a doozy in the near future.

Personally, I dunno. I just wish folks could all just get along with treating each other like humans instead of annoyances or worse. Stuff like the 'hidden topic' just makes me sick to think about. So it goes...

JayFreddy likes this.

7. edvard

edvard Tele-Holic

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    See, what you gotta do is bell the cat so you don't have to look, but... oh... listening is observing too... dang.

JayFreddy likes this.

8. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Meister

A ha !!
    Just as I suspected ;).

But I may have a problem of my own.
    With this talk of coded jargon, I got a little nervous . . . so,
    I just checked, and dog-gone if there isn't a piece of fuzz on my belly button :eek:.

Physics and Love - it's what makes the world go around.

JayFreddy likes this.

9. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Actually, I when I mentioned McKenna's name, it wasn't with regards to his "ingression of novelty into time" bit. It was only with regards to his ideas about what the future would hold, per his talks and writings from the mid to late eighties. He had some interesting ideas about where technology might take us, what the arrival of AI might mean, etc. So when I said the word weird, it was really only about how unlike the world of the past our current state of affairs has become. We currently live with more 'never before in the history of the species' events, occurrences and objects at one point in time than I think humans have ever had since we left the caves.

As to treating each other like humans, that's my fervent prayer.

JayFreddy likes this.

10. JayFreddy

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    Agreed.

Glad I'm not the only one with belly button lint. ;)

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Physics: entropy. It only takes one person to destroy what it took many people to create. What to do? Never stop creating.

JayFreddy likes this.

12. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Almost five years ago, I made this post:

"Entropy [...] is only a problem in a closed system." --Ken Kesey, Demon Box

JayFreddy likes this.

13. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2014
    Watford, UK
    In my experience, the cat is most likely asleep.

JayFreddy, Teleterr and 7171551 like this.

14. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    It didn't escape ...

[​IMG]

15. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

I knew there was something heavy in the air today .....

JayFreddy likes this.

16. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

May 2, 2017
    Tulsa, OK
    Aside from principle, rationality and competence being irrelevant now, things don't seem to be going too badly. (And this is not "code;" it's a problem in most every area of society -- e.g., our surreally ineffective visit to the ER last week.)

JayFreddy likes this.

17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Did it ever occur to anyone on here, that history and philosophy were recorded and developed by a group of guys not unlike the posters on the Bad Dog? Boggles the mind doesn't it?

JayFreddy likes this.

18. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    I thought the point of the thought experiment was that, from a strictly QM view of the universe, the cat is BOTH living AND dead? i.e. a "superposition of states?" That's the "ridiculous case" Schrödinger wrote about anyway:
    http://www.ingo-tessmann.de/QM/cat.html#sect5

Opening the box wasn't part of the thought experiment IIRC, and it would seem obvious that yes, if the cat is dead, it is because the experimenter killed it, quantum mechanics or not! :D

JayFreddy likes this.

19. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Without guessing as to what particular absurdity you might have in mind, I think I could say that lots of things we take for granted as normal now would have seemed absurd at some point or another in the past. Likewise, many absurd things might have seemed normal ages ago.

"Jumping the shark" doesn't have much meaning for me outside of the context of a 10-season TV sitcom, because in that case we can look at a closed system that began and ended and say there was ONE point when -clearly- everything changed. But for things like the millions of years of human history, or "reality," things change all the time. It's sharks all the way down man!

Life is weird.

JayFreddy likes this.

20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

The cat escapes ... out of the bag.

JayFreddy likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.