Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Schrödinger's Cat Escapes?!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JayFreddy, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Fair enough. These discussions always bring to mind the state of surveillance, the technology involved, those human Barbie dolls, retinal scans for identification (straight out of at least one PKD novel) the recent unveiling of a flying car and other things that are really not what I expected in my life time. I hate the tragedies and violence, but those have always been with us, as have been the deaths of cultural phenomena. Not to minimize those in the least, but they are relative to the observer.

JayFreddy likes this.

2. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Everyday the news is full of gravity waves. The intensity of that dependent on the position of of the observer. Yesterday's tragedy probably doesn't mean much to those members of the Yanomami tribe in the remote regions of the Amazon rain forest. If they were even to hear of it.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Things happen.

JayFreddy likes this.

4. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    So...who knows where "jumped the shark" comes from?
    Back when, it was a film biz term, then it found it's way into the public lexicon.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

6. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    No.

But it does seem that the interweb gives folks a place to wrap standard navel gazing in dense, incomprehensible jargon, and that others will embrace it as deeply philosophical thought.

ukepicker and notmyusualuserid like this.

7. kafka

kafka Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    I'm not surprised by anything. It's not because I accurately predict the future. It's just because my surprise reaction was rather meager in the first place, and has been worn down to nothing.

JayFreddy likes this.

8. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Okay, then let's keep it simple. A lot of people are in agreement that things are getting weird.

If you don't think things are getting weird, that's fine. That doesn't mean they aren't.

JayFreddy likes this.

9. I don't think things are getting weird. I think they are turning to ****

10. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Well, thanks for the simplification, but that's not what I was responding to. The OP asked:

Does it ever seem to you as though reality itself has jumped the shark?

The meaning of this question is open to any number of interpretations. The one I chose to respond to was, "Does it ever seem to you as though reality itself has become a tired, worn out cliché that doesn't have any real meaning?" My answer to that is, "No."

Now, if you were to ask me if I thought things were 'getting weird', the answer would still be no. Things have always been weird.

I suspect, though, that this thread is supposed to be a coded discussion of forbidden topics. That's not weird, it's just childish heh, heh, heh nonsense.

So, how's that for navel gazing?

BorderRadio likes this.

11. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Oh. Jeezuz I'm naive. I honestly didn't realize it was intended as a coded discussion for a forbidden topic. Sure, I read the OP's response back to mine, but beyond that, if you invoke Schrodinger's Cat, I automatically assume we're discussing something more. Bummer that we aren't

I'm filing charges for misuse of the concept/thought experiment that is Schrodinger's Cat.

Yeah, things have always been weird. No argument. I see the Universe as more or less inherently that way. But now that it is aided and abetted by media (in the Marshall McLuhan sense) as well as the fevered ego/cult of personality sense, and technology, things have reached a whole 'nuther level of weird. When you can watch a discussion about the future of humanity by two robots/AI, that's something that only existed in sci-fi books until recently.

Things is a mite weird, friend.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    JayFreddy likes this.

12. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    We can't talk about physics?

And if the going is weird, is it time for me to turn pro? ;)

JayFreddy and BorderRadio like this.

13. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Absolutely! As your attorney, I advise you to go pro.

kubiakl and BorderRadio like this.

14. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I know, right? Just when we thought the Canucks were merely going to choose between Archibald and Virtanen, they go and make a trade for Derrick Pouliot. I mean, this changes everything.
    The world is really mixed up.

JayFreddy likes this.

15. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don't have enough eyeballs to wink in so many directions.

In the meantime, 'Shroders' cat is now Garfielf and he's eating us out of house and home (just google it because I don't want to TK another thread--I wanna stay "Leo's Friend"). Yeah, I might be 'pro'.

16. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Dec 12, 2016
    Northern VA
    You my friend are a genius and connoisseur of some fine literary works.

Guitarteach and JayFreddy like this.

17. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Eh, I just am good at appearing clever. I'm a professional bozo.

18. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    don't look at FB before bed, is all I'm sayin

Toto'sDad and JayFreddy like this.

19. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    I think something in the Schrodinger's cat bit is often missed. Yes, the cat in the box is either dead or alive, and therefore, we don't know it's state.

But if we open the box, and find it dead, then we 'killed' it. In some way. Because it was alive (or dead) until we did.

At the same time, if we open the box and discover it alive, we didn't 'alive' it, did we?

Well, it was alive when it went into the box, so we couldn't 'alive' it. But we could have killed it.

Discuss.

Dave dog and JayFreddy like this.

20. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    Not what I meant at all, but I catch your drift.

Sometimes life seems like a bad dream. I mean, who could imagine singlehandedly shooting 600 people?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.