Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

School me on the Mesa Mark I (Original)

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by WineCaster, Jun 12, 2018.

1. twr102

twr102 TDPRI Member

Apr 6, 2018
    I'd grab that in a heartbeat. Nothing sounds like an original MK1(sorry reissues), especially with reverb and Altec. I had a non reverb, what a voice!

BopT and bparnell57 like this.

2. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    To add to my previous post, I've never seen a hardwood cabinet MK1 for under $2k.... Otherwise I'd own one.

I own a Boogie MK3, in the variation made to sound like a MK1. Purple stripe I think. Classic rock tones.

It beats the pedals every time...

3. bparnell57

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    I know people who would give you a blackface twin or super reverb for that boogie. They're more common. You could always get one back in a trade and come out ahead. No brainer if it was me.

4. twr102

twr102 TDPRI Member

Apr 6, 2018
    Mk1's came with Altec 417's. Definitely part of Santana's sound in those days.

5. stevehollx

stevehollx TDPRI Member

Feb 17, 2015
    durham nc
    Do you guys think Boogie Mark cleans stands for not having a real Fender amp for that ubiquitous Fender clean? I've been wondering if a Vibrolux would compliment my Mark V:35 for clean sounds. Always liked the Boogie Mark clean, but never played through a real Vibrolux/Twin.

This thread seems to have a nice Boogie+Twin perspective, so figured I'd seize the thread hijack opportunity and see what this audience thinks, since I'd expect a bit of Fender bias here anyway (given the rightful focus on telecasters here) vs. the grailtone (Mesa) forum where everyone seems to favor the Boogie clean to Fender clean.

WineCaster likes this.

6. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    I’m a long term Boogie player. I’ve a few Fender circuits too which the boogie comfortably emulates.

I’d have no worries although I might hold out for a later series model if serious and not in a rush... a II to a IV.

Versatility comes at the cost of understanding how Boogie’s earlier cascading design works and the huge influence of the Treble and Presence on it. Most critics probably did not put the effort in to understand the difference. The dialling in is entirely predictable and precise if you do.

I personally like the older boogies II to IVs over the simpler MK I and the later big V’s which I find a bit ‘modern’ and compressed. (The 5:25 or 5:35 impress though). I’ve stuck with a MKIII with a mod to balance all three channels. Was out last night doing everything from super clean jangle to blazing hot lead tones using just the channel footswitches.. You don’t need a dirt pedal with a boogie... maybe just a clean boost. I was straight in to the amp last night. Sounded FANTASTIC and still brings a smile of satisfaction.

If the MK I has the voice you like, it could be good and if it sounds somewhat middy alone, that helps it really holds it ground in a band where anything too mid scooped it lost.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018

7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    There y'go didn't know that. I've seen Mk IIs with EVs.

twr102 likes this.

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I would do the deal if the amp stands up when put through the paces. I am kind of surprised that the Boogie owner only wants that much in boot. Of course, those Altec’s in the TR are a chunk of change standing on their own. Those electrolytics were replaced not even two years ago. I would want the Reverb tank that came in the amp if the owner still has it.
    There are Fender AB763 cleans in that Boogie. It is based on the AB763 preamp.

bparnell57 and WineCaster like this.

9. bparnell57

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Good catch on the caps.

Good tech or it went back to Boogie, by my estimates. They use atoms still on service I believe.

Wally likes this.

10. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2012
    Oshkosh, Wisconsin
    I suppose there’s a slight amount of irony that I’m trading an amp with “the” Santana speakers for “the” Santana amp.

bparnell57 likes this.

11. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Actually, it is more ironic than that. You are trading an early ‘Santana amp’ for a later ‘Santana amp’. There are times when I prefer the old school Santana sound.

brbadg and WineCaster like this.

12. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2012
    Oshkosh, Wisconsin
    But the later ‘Santana amp’ will hopefully be easier to move up and down a flight of stairs.

13. bparnell57

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Don't count on it. That boogie may weigh just as much as the twin. Same iron. Heavier wood. Just smaller and one less speaker.

Your amp doesn't have the Santana speakers.

The 8H with aluminum dust cap, in the Boogie, pulls a premium price, as it is the real Santana speaker. The 8C's are lower wattage as well.

I'd add a fuse in line on the boogie. Not many original cone 8H's left since they blew in 100 watt boogies...

Wally likes this.

14. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I forgot that the TR has 417-8C's in it. Warmer speaker with lower handling capability.
    And yes.....the big difference in carrying the two amps would be the width of the cab. Either one of them would demand of me that I pick the amp up in both arms and hug it to my chest for any kind of a carry....especially up stairs.

15. bparnell57

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hand truck would be ideal.

Mine stays strapped to a harbor freight moving dolly...

417-8H is worth almost as much as your two speakers combined.

My favorite is the Dia-Cone 417-8 that came in late 70's Ampeg VT22's. Ballsy!

16. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2012
    Oshkosh, Wisconsin

17. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2011
    Chicago
    Had a Twin SF and sold it for under a grand. That Mesa is a great amp! Looks and sound good weighs a lot! Take time dial in sound be sparing with the EQ!

bparnell57 likes this.

18. bodevelho

bodevelho Tele-Meister

May 19, 2018
    EUA
    The I and II were the amps everyone wanted and dumped their twins for in the mid-70s, I still remember the lust when a friend of mine got one with caned-front like yours. It completely transformed his SG tone (for the better). It is however pretty much a gigging-tool, and meant for casters or the young-of-back.

bparnell57 likes this.

19. stevehollx

stevehollx TDPRI Member

Feb 17, 2015
    durham nc
    Wicker Boogies are the best looking amps...

20. antennahead

antennahead Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    Oh I don't know, I think this looks pretty damn good too :)

MK II A simulclass 2.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.