Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

School me on King Crimson

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by edvard, Jan 1, 2018.

1. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Oct 16, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    The only King Crimson album I ever connected with was "Larks' Tongues in Aspic". I've tried other albums, like "Red", but never enjoyed them.

As a teenager, I listened to a lot of other Progressive bands, especially Yes, ELP, and Genesis. On paper at least I should really enjoy KC. but never got into them.

2. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    Somehow "Lark's tongues" doesn't sound the same as it did in 1973. Still pretty impressive.
    Fave song: "Cat Food"

3. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Meister

Jun 19, 2012
    Fresno, Ca
    Red. The roots of prog metal/math metal bands all trace back to this, IMHO...

A.B.Negative and edvard like this.

4. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2004

There it is. The perfect KC primer.

edvard likes this.

5. edvard

edvard Tele-Holic

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    I was going to post replies to everyone because you all have given me so much to mull over, but the post got really long. I sincerely thank each and every one of you for your time schooling me, as I've actually learned a lot, and got more out of it than looking up random King Crimson music on Youtube. I am humbly grateful.

I think the gist I got is that the stuff I'm looking for is mostly from the 72-75 period, with echoes of it popping up here and there in the later material. I found '21st Century Schizoid Man' to be very reminiscent of Hawkwind (not that I mind that at all...) which was nice, but not what I was looking for, and the 80s stuff seemed a little too influenced by, well, the 80s and "world music", which I detest (RIP Windham Hill, and good riddance...). As far as King Crimson as a whole, I can now see their influence a little better. I hear bits of them in Butthole Surfers earlier stuff, groups as 'fringe' as the Boredoms and Melt Banana, and some of the jazzmo scene like John Zorn and Bill Laswell's many incarnations, so yeah, I "get" them now. Thanks again to all who helped me see it.

In reply to @FrontPU, this track by Voivod is somewhat in the middle of their earlier thrashy stuff and later 'almost-radio-friendly' stuff. In fact, the whole 'Nothingface' album is a solid 'prog metal' release, minus the pretentiousness. ;)

That's the new guy on guitar, but he's doing a damn good job of pulling off Piggy's technique. Enjoy.

A.B.Negative likes this.

6. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    Ok, you gave me a clue and I only can say this much:

- You wouldn't have to stick to digging the music of KC too much to learn his playing.
    - "King Crimson" or "Robert Fripp" in their remarks would imply not itself but "Prog Rock" from '70s led by King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, etc.

I think you'd stay confused keep trying to associate the guitarist with King Crimson or Robert Fripp, because what the band was doing on the song is not exactly same as what KC or RF has done but just similar; the affinity would be roughly explain by these words "irregular meter" "modern jazz scales/chords" and "Les Paul"... but the application of these things doesn't really seem to follow those specific patterns that RF was using. But I'd agree that he really liked and/or respected RF.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.